20 Posts

Argent: The Consortium» Forums » General

Subject: Vassal Module Available rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Minchin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After labourous attempts to kill bugs, I have published the module.

Attempts to upload it to BGG failed for me since it's 25MB, but it is available via the Vassal wiki here:

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Argent:_The_Consorti...

Feedback is welcome, as are invites to play the game!

Big round of applause for Trey Chambers and L99 games who made such a great game a reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

That is amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thank you so much. I will finally get to play my copy of this, you're a god!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poking around with this and it all looks straightforward. Only thing that isn't clear to me is the peeking and how it works in the module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjara
msg tools
Tried this out, overall its great!

1 Major issue, a few minor issues/suggestions:

Major: Anyone else having a problem with the Archmage Study? I'm getting "Bad Data in Module: Image not found RoomM-ArchmageStudy.jpg" the first time I open the supply tab and there seems to be a blank square in the Room pile (defaults to near the bottom, just over the adventure room, blocks you from picking things its under unless you draw specifics).

Minor issue 1: Found the phases confusing the first time, went to move to it to Resolution phase, it instead moved to cleanup and got rid of all the available suppliers. (and couldn't undo which I suspect is just a vassal limitation). Not a huge deal once you know about it, but was a minor annoyance the first time. Does it make sense to have a Round: x (Resolution) phase in here as well? If not, is it necessary to have both cleanup (x) and errands (x+1) both fiddle with the draft board rather than having just errands (x+1) make the setup changes?

Minor issue 2: Moving the rooms around at the start is a bit of a pain, no clue why, but I find that they sometimes don't shift-move easily, or more commonly, that I end up moving one, then selecting a second and moving the first one again with the second. Any possibility of making them free to move until you move to setup (and swap them to the current shift to move/lock after that point, similar to how you lock the alternate boards/reference power flips at that point). Also, any reason not to have the three white buildings snapped to the grid that the other buildings are forced too so you don't have to move them at the start?

Minor issue 3: Astronomy tower token seemed to be locked to the same grid as the rooms so it always snapped to the middle of the room. Ended up using the archmage apprentice in place of the token.

Minor suggestion 4: Change value for int/wis could perhaps be a bit more intuitive. Might be worth switching it to two different actions like with the merits or swap the order so you aren't filling the values in reverse order? Not sure what the ideal is, but the most common actions are A) increase both values by 1, and B) decrease the current value by 1. Might be worth having options for these two cases in addition to the "set" action? Possibly also make merit the four most common actions: A) Increase max and current (gain merit) B) decrease max and current (lose merit) -- with a floor of 0 for current (aka val = max(0,val--), C) reduce current by 1 (use merit) and D) set current to max (reset current) (alternatively, could automate the last one on cleanup as well).

Minor suggestion 5: The person I was playing with several times gained 2 mana and set their mana to 2 (rather than adding 2). Wonder if it would make sense to break the mana/gold menu down into two options A) add x and B) subtract x, then let the person just enter the delta to avoid this and other math errors. (no clue how easy this is to implement in vassal, but basic math is what computers are great at.)

Minor issue 6: Couldn't easily figure out how to draft a hidden supporter. At the very least, it said the main of the supporter grabbed from the deck in the log and placing the masked supporter into the discard unmasked it. Leaving it somewhere random masked in the department mostly worked but a right click option that moved one masked to your department somewhere on the supporter deck might be the best solution?

Minor issue 7: The mouse over zoom in effect doesn't work on cards in the drafting window unless you select then and move them slightly. I suspect that however you are populating the three offers does something odd here. Same issue with the voters and cards in your opponents departments (this one is probably due to whatever flag prevents you from modifying/moving them). Wonder if you can set some flag on any of them to turn this back on?

Minor suggestion 8: 2 player setup might want to avoid seeding the 2nd-most voters (e.g. second most influence)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes re: 1, same here. Get an image error.

Trying to use this module. I move the white tiles into the tile pile and shuffle them, but then I can't shift click to pick them up...

Other than that, I just appreciate you making this module available. It actually lets me play this cool game in my collection because I definitely don't have local players for something this complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Minchin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kjara wrote:

Major: Anyone else having a problem with the Archmage Study? I'm getting "Bad Data in Module: Image not found RoomM-ArchmageStudy.jpg" the first time I open the supply tab and there seems to be a blank square in the Room pile (defaults to near the bottom, just over the adventure room, blocks you from picking things its under unless you draw specifics).

Minor issue 1: Found the phases confusing the first time, went to move to it to Resolution phase, it instead moved to cleanup and got rid of all the available suppliers. (and couldn't undo which I suspect is just a vassal limitation). Not a huge deal once you know about it, but was a minor annoyance the first time. Does it make sense to have a Round: x (Resolution) phase in here as well? If not, is it necessary to have both cleanup (x) and errands (x+1) both fiddle with the draft board rather than having just errands (x+1) make the setup changes?

Minor issue 2: Moving the rooms around at the start is a bit of a pain, no clue why, but I find that they sometimes don't shift-move easily, or more commonly, that I end up moving one, then selecting a second and moving the first one again with the second. Any possibility of making them free to move until you move to setup (and swap them to the current shift to move/lock after that point, similar to how you lock the alternate boards/reference power flips at that point). Also, any reason not to have the three white buildings snapped to the grid that the other buildings are forced too so you don't have to move them at the start?

Minor issue 3: Astronomy tower token seemed to be locked to the same grid as the rooms so it always snapped to the middle of the room. Ended up using the archmage apprentice in place of the token.

Minor suggestion 4: Change value for int/wis could perhaps be a bit more intuitive. Might be worth switching it to two different actions like with the merits or swap the order so you aren't filling the values in reverse order? Not sure what the ideal is, but the most common actions are A) increase both values by 1, and B) decrease the current value by 1. Might be worth having options for these two cases in addition to the "set" action? Possibly also make merit the four most common actions: A) Increase max and current (gain merit) B) decrease max and current (lose merit) -- with a floor of 0 for current (aka val = max(0,val--), C) reduce current by 1 (use merit) and D) set current to max (reset current) (alternatively, could automate the last one on cleanup as well).

Minor suggestion 5: The person I was playing with several times gained 2 mana and set their mana to 2 (rather than adding 2). Wonder if it would make sense to break the mana/gold menu down into two options A) add x and B) subtract x, then let the person just enter the delta to avoid this and other math errors. (no clue how easy this is to implement in vassal, but basic math is what computers are great at.)

Minor issue 6: Couldn't easily figure out how to draft a hidden supporter. At the very least, it said the main of the supporter grabbed from the deck in the log and placing the masked supporter into the discard unmasked it. Leaving it somewhere random masked in the department mostly worked but a right click option that moved one masked to your department somewhere on the supporter deck might be the best solution?

Minor issue 7: The mouse over zoom in effect doesn't work on cards in the drafting window unless you select then and move them slightly. I suspect that however you are populating the three offers does something odd here. Same issue with the voters and cards in your opponents departments (this one is probably due to whatever flag prevents you from modifying/moving them). Wonder if you can set some flag on any of them to turn this back on?

Minor suggestion 8: 2 player setup might want to avoid seeding the 2nd-most voters (e.g. second most influence)?

Ha! Far from a god here, thank you for the compliment Steve. Feel free to drop me a line, I'm happy to play Argent over Vassal any time I'm free, or give people a walkthrough of the module.
Contact Guinness via Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/guinnessk/

A text file under help has been added to show the details of pieces that are unclear due to the nature of Vassal.

The updated module can be downloaded here: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Argent:_The_Consorti...

Major Issue:
1) Archmage's Study: Fixed
1a) Room Tile Deck Drawing: Fixed
(Incorrectly named image file existed; there is still a reference to it somewhere in the module, if someone hits a "Bad Data in Module: Image not found <name>", let me know and I'll track it down.)

2) Peeking at Voters: Still an Issue
Vassal's programming around the "Mask" function, which is to keep a card's contents hidden requires "ownership" of a card, which is restricted to one "Player_side" at a time. To peek at voters you have to be polite to your fellow players and click the button at the top then peek at the ones you're allowed to (a notify will mention which ones you peek at to countermand cheating). Then someone else can "claim ownership" of the cards by clicking the button at the top, to look at them.
Note: This is a Vassal programming issue at the current time.

Minor Issues:
1) Phase Confusion: Renamed the Phases (Should be clearer)
Note: Cleanup Phase is needed due to Vassal Mechanics at current

2) Room Moving: Now done with Alt-Click
(Should fix the awkward multiple selections, etc)
Note: The Library's Position in the room order matters to gameplay (and the council chamber too, to a lesser extent) this is why they are defaulted to space instead of cells.

3) Astronomy Tower Token: Fixed

4) Max/Current Int/Wis/Merit Values: Altered
(Current now can change w/ Ctrl-F, max w/ Ctrl-G)

5) Adjusting Values: Unadjusted
(You are just going to have to practice your own math skills.)
Note: All the values are expressed as a "Text Display." I could store the values as old style variables and add keystrokes to adjust and change them which would request a lot more programming. For now, I trust that 5+2 is something most people can handle!

6) Drafting Hidden Supporter: Fixed
(This also fixes the drawing secret cards for the Adventuring Room as well. The discard pile is still an issue due to Vassal's limitations.)

7) Drafting Window Mouse Over Zoom: Stil an Issue
To include the level of automation I have, the tableau of draftable cards is a series of deck piles the repopulate when they are emptied. I've asked some more experienced coders if they have a fix for this issue. For now, just click and small drag.
Note: If you press "Z" it speeds up the zoom function.

8) 2nd Most Voters in 2p Setup: Fixed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kard wrote:
Kjara wrote:

Ha! Far from a god here, thank you for the compliment Steve. Feel free to drop me a line, I'm happy to play Argent over Vassal any time I'm free, or give people a walkthrough of the module.

A text file under help has been added to show the details of pieces that are unclear due to the nature of Vassal.

The updated module can be downloaded here: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Argent:_The_Consorti...

Major Issue:
(Incorrectly named image file existed; there is still a reference to it somewhere in the module, if someone hits a "Bad Data in Module: Image not found <name>", let me know and I'll track it down.)

Vassal's programming around the "Mask" function, which is to keep a card's contents hidden requires "ownership" of a card, which is restricted to one "Player_side" at a time. To peek at voters you have to be polite to your fellow players and click the button at the top then peek at the ones you're allowed to (a notify will mention which ones you peek at to countermand cheating). Then someone else can "claim ownership" of the cards by clicking the button at the top, to look at them.

Minor Issues:

Note: The Library's Position in the room order matters to gameplay (and the council chamber too, to a lesser extent) this is why they are defaulted to space instead of cells.

Note: All the values are expressed as a "Text Display." I could store the values as old style variables and add keystrokes to adjust and change them which would request a lot more programming. For now, I trust that 5+2 is something most people can handle!

(This also fixes the drawing secret cards for the Adventuring Room as well. The discard pile is still an issue due to Vassal's limitations.)

To include the level of automation I have, the tableau of draftable cards is a series of deck piles the repopulate when they are emptied. I've asked some more experienced coders if they have a fix for this issue. For now, just click and small drag.

Woot! Thanks for all of your hard work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjara
msg tools
Kard wrote:

Major Issue:

Minor Issues:

Thanks again for all your work on this! Initial thoughts on the new version (also, aware vassal has some odd limitations, so hitting the low hanging fruit is clearly the way to go.):

Still getting the error message on opening supply, but the image on the room loads fine now. Also, Alt feels much better than shift.

Phases: Having resolution show up in the name makes when to move phases clear.

Astronomy: The token works now. Fiddling with it slightly, I do however wonder if its worth tweaking slightly to be more salient? (Even just a white? border might make it easier to see at a quick glance. -- or just might make it look fugly, not a huge issue either way)

Tip for others: Besides using z, you can also speed up the zoom function in the preferences under the oddly named option: "Delay before automatic stack display (ms)" (I've set this to 200, aka .2 seconds).

Hidden supporters: Seems like the fix might have broken the automatic population of the 5 supporters to be drafted on rounds other than the first (but not a big deal to manually populate them). Other than that, keeping the hidden off to the side of the player boards or on adventuring works perfectly.

Two further very minor thoughts:
1) Might make keyboard shortcuts for badges, int and wis consistent?

2) Would it be easy to add in log messages for mana/gold (+possibly int/wis) updates? Ideally with both previous and new value, but even just new value would work (since you could always search back up for the previous value if there was an confusion). Just to avoid the "Did I remember to spend mana for that spell I cast?" moments.

Voters: Hmm, that makes it tricky. The current system does work though, so no huge rush to change it.
Random brainstorming ideas (some of these might be more confusing than helpful):
1)Create a copy of each voter for each player. Either smaller and all on the same page (relying on zoom to actually be able to read them), or give each player copy of the voter page that they own and can peak at (could even make it so no other player's can access the page and just let them permanently flip those they know about). Perhaps with some way automate mark placement on all the boards (player 1 right clicks on voter 5 and selects mark, and a mark appears under that voter on all the boards) -- or with some common board for mark storage.
2) A minor quality of life improvement would be to make it so that you can have more than one voter "peaked" at a time (but still only the player that owns the tab at all can have any shown).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Minchin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kjara wrote:

Astronomy: The token works now. Fiddling with it slightly, I do however wonder if its worth tweaking slightly to be more salient? (Even just a white? border might make it easier to see at a quick glance. -- or just might make it look fugly, not a huge issue either way)

If more people ask for this, easy change to make, just some dabbling in PSP for me.

Kjara wrote:

Tip for others: Besides using z, you can also speed up the zoom function in the preferences under the oddly named option: "Delay before automatic stack display (ms)" (I've set this to 200, aka .2 seconds).

I set the default to .75s because my gaming group were bothered that the zoom function would kick in too soon, if you're someone who wants it to happen sooner, you can of course set it in your own options.

Kjara wrote:

Hidden supporters: Seems like the fix might have broken the automatic population of the 5 supporters to be drafted on rounds other than the first (but not a big deal to manually populate them). Other than that, keeping the hidden off to the side of the player boards or on adventuring works perfectly.

That was an error due to my renaming of the phase and the refresh being dependent on that. I have now eliminated the need for the clean up phase (due to a work around and adding two variables) so that the round counter no longer has a clean up phase (you'll see when you move it ahead).

Kjara wrote:

2) Would it be easy to add in log messages for mana/gold (+possibly int/wis) updates? Ideally with both previous and new value, but even just new value would work (since you could always search back up for the previous value if there was an confusion). Just to avoid the "Did I remember to spend mana for that spell I cast?" moments.

1) The commands have been made consistent, they are now Ctrl-F and Ctrl-G (still trying to figure out when Merit turned Ctrl-D).

2) Text Labels are hard to edit. It's the one area I was worried about because I think I'm unable to use a report function with it, and it opens the game up to errors and/or cheating. I think I will have to go the route of making it a series of variables that are stored, and changed, but it's a bit time consuming to make that change, so I'll do it in a later update.

Kjara wrote:

Voters: Hmm, that makes it tricky. The current system does work though, so no huge rush to change it.
Random brainstorming ideas (some of these might be more confusing than helpful):
1)Create a copy of each voter for each player. Either smaller and all on the same page (relying on zoom to actually be able to read them), or give each player copy of the voter page that they own and can peak at (could even make it so no other player's can access the page and just let them permanently flip those they know about). Perhaps with some way automate mark placement on all the boards (player 1 right clicks on voter 5 and selects mark, and a mark appears under that voter on all the boards) -- or with some common board for mark storage.
2) A minor quality of life improvement would be to make it so that you can have more than one voter "peaked" at a time (but still only the player that owns the tab at all can have any shown).

1) More effort than it's worth, thank you kindly for the suggestion though.

2) You /can/ peek at more than one voter at the same time, use Shift-Click to choose multiple voters, right click / Ctrl-P and voila. Until you click elsewhere in the module, you can keep looking at the voters, even if someone else has claimed them.
Again, Vassal has certain limitations. I respect that this bothers you, and I appreciate your feedback, but this one you're going to have to live with. I have tried incorporating multiple ownerships into a card, but so far, zero success through several different methods.

The Vassal page should have an updated module to v1.02 shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kard wrote:

2) You /can/ peek at more than one voter at the same time, use Shift-Click to choose multiple voters, right click / Ctrl-P and voila. Until you click elsewhere in the module, you can keep looking at the voters, even if someone else has claimed them.
Again, Vassal has certain limitations. I respect that this bothers you, and I appreciate your feedback, but this one you're going to have to live with. I have tried incorporating multiple ownerships into a card, but so far, zero success through several different methods.

About the peeking. I remember a friend of mine did something similar before. I think the way he made it work involved some kind of having the peek command a shared thing. The "PublicPeeker" (CTRL-SHIFT-P) would trigger "Mask" (CTRL-M) the Voter twice (first time to switch ownership to the peeking player, IIRC, second time to mask again), then do a personal Peek (CTRL-P). Basically, the automated double mask command went so fast you couldn't see anything as the player who didn't peek. The peek at the end ensured the player could actually peek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjara
msg tools
Kard wrote:
Kjara wrote:

If more people ask for this, easy change to make, just some dabbling in PSP for me.

Kjara wrote:

I set the default to .75s because my gaming group were bothered that the zoom function would kick in too soon, if you're someone who wants it to happen sooner, you can of course set it in your own options.

Kjara wrote:

That was an error due to my renaming of the phase and the refresh being dependent on that. I have now eliminated the need for the clean up phase (due to a work around and adding two variables) so that the round counter no longer has a clean up phase (you'll see when you move it ahead).

Kjara wrote:

1) The commands have been made consistent, they are now Ctrl-F and Ctrl-G (still trying to figure out when Merit turned Ctrl-D).

2) Text Labels are hard to edit. It's the one area I was worried about because I think I'm unable to use a report function with it, and it opens the game up to errors and/or cheating. I think I will have to go the route of making it a series of variables that are stored, and changed, but it's a bit time consuming to make that change, so I'll do it in a later update.

Kjara wrote:

1) More effort than it's worth, thank you kindly for the suggestion though.

Text labels: Good to hear. With the folks I play with I'm less worried about cheating and more just worried about someone forgetting or double charging themselves.

Voters: Ahha, didn't think about shift + peek. That should solve the biggest complaint, by letting one player look at all their information at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harrison
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
I'd certainly like to try to play the game. I'll probably start a forum thread trying to get a game going. I might also/alternatively try to start a play-by-forum using the VASSAL module; each option has its pros/cons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Minchin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomHiob wrote:
About the peeking. I remember a friend of mine did something similar before. I think the way he made it work involved some kind of having the peek command a shared thing. The "PublicPeeker" (CTRL-SHIFT-P) would trigger "Mask" (CTRL-M) the Voter twice (first time to switch ownership to the peeking player, IIRC, second time to mask again), then do a personal Peek (CTRL-P). Basically, the automated double mask command went so fast you couldn't see anything as the player who didn't peek. The peek at the end ensured the player could actually peek.

Great idea! The double mask is how I set up that button. I'll see if I can turn Peeking into a Global Key Command trigger that automatically executes the key command and include it in the next update.

Also, good news, the game made it onto the vassal newsfeed, so there's potentially a new source of people taking a look at the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We updated to the 1.05 module, which is great. I am not seeing how to creates marks anymore, though? In the earlier version you right clicked and created a mark in the voters area. The peeking function works much better, though, thank you! Just looking for the actual markers themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bump.

Has anyone figured this out? I still cannot find where you can generate and add marks to the board in 1.05.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Minchin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies, I'll take a quick look at this and see what happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're awesome! We just downloaded 1.06 and started our game back up!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Winright
United States
Bellevue
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great mod but I must be missing something... where are the Legendary Spells?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's not my name.
msg tools
mbmbmb
Redbird wrote:
Great mod but I must be missing something... where are the Legendary Spells?

They're under "Extras" The "Astronomy Token" is a drop-down menu, with the Legendary Spells as the other option. They can be dragged from there to a player's department window.

While I'm here, though, I have a couple of minor bugs in 1.06. Since Marks were fixed (thanks!) it appears to create two marks per press now. Two is much better than zero, but still slightly odd. Layering Marks above the Voters would also be awesome, since they have a tendency to fall behind the card.

Also, didn't the Spell and Vault drafts used to autofill at the beginning of a round? They don't appear to do that anymore. I may be misremembering that.

Neither of these are showstoppers, out game is rolling along happily on 1.06, but just mentioning it for a possible 1.07.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.