Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like we got ourselves a price war, boys and girls.

From the CSI announcement today. Response to MM's recent lowering.

Quote:
November 10, 2015

For years CoolStuffInc.com has provided industry-leading customer service and rewards with phenomenal prices on the best selection of games and accessories online. We know that you, our customers, appreciate the value we provide and we’ve worked hard to deliver on the high bar we set for ourselves. Today, we’re pleased to share we’ve raised it yet again with even better prices on our board games selections.

Now with the best-in-class customer service you already love, we’re proud to offer even better discounts off most board games as well as upcoming pre-orders from your favorite publishers. As always, our great customer rewards will continue to apply the additional automatic savings customers expect from each of their future purchases.

With over a decade of fantastic results and service we’re excited to continue delighting the most valuable part of our company: Customers like you. Whether you’re visiting us for the first time or already familiar with our excellent offerings, thank you for taking time to understand our continued commitment to CoolStuffInc.com’s core mission of delivering amazing customer service with even better prices.

It’s a pleasure and honor to be your online (or friendly local!) retailer of choice.

Thanks,
Jerry Sunkin
CEO, CoolStuffInc.com LLC

PS: If you’d like to be the first to know about our sweet sales and release announcements sign-up for our newsletter and like us on Facebook. We’re excited to share what’s in store next!
Capitalism rocks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
are they back to the prices they used to have before....

CoolStuffInc price creep

coolstuffinc no longer that cheap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Psst... over here!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shipping for any order under $100 still kills the deal for me.
also, their amazon store sells Welcome to the Dungeon for $39.99. that is inexcusable robbery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normiyagi wrote:
also, their amazon store sells Welcome to the Dungeon for $39.99. that is inexcusable robbery.
Oh please...selling something that is not needed at any price is not robbery. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Brian Eno fanMicrobadge: Neil Young fanMicrobadge: Queen fanMicrobadge: John Fahey fanMicrobadge: Rickie Lee Jones fan
First world robbery is fine with me.

Normiyagi wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normiyagi wrote:

if you don't want to buy their products on amazon then don't shop for their products on amazon. simple as that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Seththedog wrote:
Normiyagi wrote:
Oh please...selling something that is not needed at any price is not robbery. shake
I think he was using hyperbole and actually wasn't suggesting that it was LITERALLY robbery . . .

Come on, even an autistic robot could figure that out.

Hyperbole Disclaimer: I do not know what an autistic robot can and cannot comprehend. It could be that an autistic robot would not understand hyperbole. Also, my statement neither confirms nor denies the existence of autistic robots.

Also, we already got this shit covered: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1470613/csi-price-reduction...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Oh please...selling something that is not needed at any price is not robbery.
I think the usual claim is that they have the same game on two different sites for two different prices. So, it seems on the surface they are trying to take advantage of Amazon shoppers that don't know to just go to the main site.

Yes, buyers should do some research and CSI has to make a profit, but I think one can still criticize the practice. In other words, "because profit" shouldn't just be a blanket justification for all market practice.

This has come up many times and CSI has said that the price differences are because they source the games from different places. If they have to get a game on the secondary market, they put it on Amazon at a higher price because they paid more.

Any other price difference is probably so small as to wash out because of shipping, fees or something.

For example, FoD is $38.99 on Coolstuff.com. They have it for $46.59 + $3.99 shipping on Amazon. Amazon takes a cut and the shipping is less than on their site, so it's pretty understandable they charge more on Amazon.

I think the issue that gets the most criticism is when they have a game listed "Out of Stock" on their website, but are charging an arm and a leg for it on Amazon.

The explanation is, of course, they paid more for a popular game that was exhausted in the normal distribution channel and they have an opportunity to turn a nice profit. (I think there were a bunch of threads about Robinson Crusoe.)

They say they don't move inventory from Coolstuff.com to Amazon. I think many people would be fine with it even if they did...supply and demand and all that.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
dammit, my cart was at $100.25 and now I need to find $8.46 in filler angry lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, it was definitely hyperbole. also, it probably would've helped if I had mentioned that they sell Welcome to the Dungeon for $39.99 on amazon while on the CSI website store they sell it for $9.99. Even if you include amazon fees and other 'suppliers,' a $30 difference in price is just too large to ignore or support. I can't support a retailer that openly takes advantage of casual consumers like that, even if they do pack their shipments with foam peanuts (which I love).

Hope that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A H
msg tools
They learned that severely underpricing on Amazon means they will just burn through the inventory and will lose profit. If the Amazon market price is $50 and you sell at $30, you are giving up $20 in revenue per sale. It is as simple as that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If the Amazon market price is $50 and you sell at $30, you are giving up $20 in revenue per sale. It is as simple as that.
I think it depends on what the grouping of price is. For most stuff I look at, most sellers tend to be within a few dollars of each other with a few nitwits way at the other end.

For example, if you look at Welcome to the Dungeon now, most are between $10-$20 over 3 pages of vendors. There is one $29.99 and one $34.95.

So, I think CSI wouldn't mind being at the top of a pack by a few dollars. If you are over by $20, however, nobody is buying your stuff.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normiyagi wrote:
yes, it was definitely hyperbole. also, it probably would've helped if I had mentioned that they sell Welcome to the Dungeon for $39.99 on amazon while on the CSI website store they sell it for $9.99. Even if you include amazon fees and other 'suppliers,' a $30 difference in price is just too large to ignore or support. I can't support a retailer that openly takes advantage of casual consumers like that, even if they do pack their shipments with foam peanuts (which I love).

Hope that makes sense.
I don't see where they are forcing you to buy it from Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Brian Eno fanMicrobadge: Neil Young fanMicrobadge: Queen fanMicrobadge: John Fahey fanMicrobadge: Rickie Lee Jones fan
Yes, I need to see that contract.

matthean wrote:
Normiyagi wrote:

Hope that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
They aren't, but I can still say it is a rotten thing to do.

Or rather, it is a practice that doesn't conform to my view of a proper pursuit of profit.

There is nothing illegal about it and they will continue to do this kind of thing because it makes good business sense.

"Good business sense" and "ethical practice" aren't always congruent in my personal view of markets and Capitalism.

But, as I said above, much of this is overblown. I don't think they are really trying to trick anyone or take advantage. The price differences are a function of how the two different sites operate.

This $30 difference would be the biggest I've ever seen from them and it would be odd considering there are a ton of other listings for that game at around $15.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hertica
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
I talked to CSI once about a game they were out of stock on their main site and had on Amazon. They are actually sourced differently. The items on their site are through their regular wholesale distributor. The items on Amazon are part of their online purchasing arm and are mostly bought through different channels (secondary) and thus their acquisition price is different which affects how much they sell them for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
chgoman wrote:
I talked to CSI once about a game they were out of stock on their main site and had on Amazon. They are actually sourced differently. The items on their site are through their regular wholesale distributor. The items on Amazon are part of their online purchasing arm and are mostly bought through different channels (secondary) and thus their acquisition price is different which affects how much they sell them for.
I asked too re: Caverna. Wanted to combine with something from the main site and then get the free shipping, but no dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrie Wick
United States
Waco
Texas
flag msg tools
Placed my first order in a year with them on Sunday. Everything is now cheaper just a few das later. The kicker is I had a preorder item so my stuff hasn't even shipped yet and it's already cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcwick wrote:
Placed my first order in a year with them on Sunday. Everything is now cheaper just a few das later. The kicker is I had a preorder item so my stuff hasn't even shipped yet and it's already cheaper.
Have you emailed them for an adjustment?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrie Wick
United States
Waco
Texas
flag msg tools
Psauberer wrote:
mcwick wrote:
No. I didn't know they would do that. I tried looking up their price match policy but couldn't find it. I will definitely email them. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
chgoman wrote:
The new lower prices at MM may actually bring down CSI's Amazon prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcwick wrote:
Psauberer wrote:
mcwick wrote:
No. I didn't know they would do that. I tried looking up their price match policy but couldn't find it. I will definitely email them. Thanks!
Yes, they do that. That's part of their excellent customer service.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrie Wick
United States
Waco
Texas
flag msg tools
Jorune wrote:
mcwick wrote:
Psauberer wrote:
mcwick wrote:

Yes, they do that. That's part of their excellent customer service.

Jorune
Refund already received. Excellent customer service indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
The new lower prices at MM may actually bring down CSI's Amazon prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |