Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New CC:E/CC:M player here.

I wanted to confirm my understanding of how support rolls work in CC:M rules. The RSG states that whichever player has the lowest cost OB must purchase "one or more" available units.

Other than the number of actual counters available, is it true there is no limit to how many units can be purchased via support roll ? And if you purchase enough to push the VP marker over to your opponent's side (even by one VP), then your opponent *also* gets unlimited (subject to counter mix) support roll purchases as well ?

It seems that the purchases could get a bit crazy depending on players.

Are the limiting factors here:
1) The fact that irrespective of how many support units you purchase, your surrender level stays the same.

2) No matter how many squads and weapon teams you purchase, you only get 1 additional leader.

3) The defending player gets to use any remaining VP overage to purchase fortifications.

Thus although your support roll might say you are allowed to buy 2 mortar teams, 15 rifle squads and 15 militia squads, it might not be a wise idea to do so....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles "Chick" Lewis
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: FezMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card GameMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fanMicrobadge: Roleplaying Since 1974
You seem to understand most of the rules AND their ramifications.

However, I believe that if the player with the lower cost OB spends enough points to push the victory counter over to the 2nd player's side, the 2nd player is limited to spending only the points back down to zero, NOT unlimited spends like the 1st player.
Edit: above apparently false according to Gunderian007
To your specific questions:
1 - yes
2 - yes
3 - yes

AND WELCOME to a really great game system !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2) No matter how many squads and weapon teams you purchase, you only get 1 additional leader.
What about on the German Support Table, where you have an option to choose two possible leaders like "Sergeant Benzing or Sergeant Grein".

In a recent tournament game my opponent and I decided to allow the purchase of both leaders. We weren't sure about it, but didn't want to delay playing in order to post a query.

Unfortunately, my opponent did buy two leaders and then used them to beat me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Supreme Court Listener
badge
Supporter of the National Flag Football League
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure someone with a better memory than me will get the quote, but Chad has ruled on this and you only get one at a time. So one roll will get you one. If you roll that number again later, you can choose the other leader.

I would argue that if you have Normandy, you should be allowed to choose any leader that has the same statistics. If you have Stalingrad, then you could always allow the special leaders to be subbed out as an optional rule. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm sure someone with a better memory than me will get the quote, but Chad has ruled on this and you only get one at a time.
You are correct. I found Chad's ruling here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/2096544#2096544

I shall request that an asterisk be placed next to my opponent's victory in that tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops.

I just rechecked the post about that game and in fact my opponent only purchased one leader in the RSG (he got the other good leader on a leader roll).

All is well, and there will be no asterisk request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the quick answers !
 Thumb up