6 Posts

Terra Mystica: Fire & Ice» Forums » General

Subject: A totally new player and all these balance threads! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Wilborn
msg tools
mbmb
Hi there, after watching some reviews and seeing that I had a Korean Big Box available to me, I decided to pick it up.

I traditionally play a lot of war games and card games, things like Battle of Five Armies, Neuroshima Hex, Seasons, A few Acres of Snow, and Deus.

That said, I came here to do a little research on the new game board as I wasn't quite sure what they had changed or meant to change. What I found was a large amount of balance threads regarding a few of the expansion races, namely the Shapeshifters and Riverwalkers.

Now, I understand that TM is a very competitive tournament game, but at what level do these balance issues appear?

I certainly agree that balancing everything perfectly in any game is extremely difficult, however, I am hoping that the game is balanced enough that casual players don't have to reign in the individual faction powers.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
konicki wrote:
Now, I understand that TM is a very competitive tournament game, but at what level do these balance issues appear?
so you saw all those...

konicki wrote:
A totally new player and all these balance threads!
but instead of actually skimming any of them you thought it was a better idea to create yet another thread asking folks to rehash what is already in those other threads?

just imho, ymmv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
konicki wrote:
Hi there, after watching some reviews and seeing that I had a Korean Big Box available to me, I decided to pick it up.

I traditionally play a lot of war games and card games, things like Battle of Five Armies, Neuroshima Hex, Seasons, A few Acres of Snow, and Deus.

That said, I came here to do a little research on the new game board as I wasn't quite sure what they had changed or meant to change. What I found was a large amount of balance threads regarding a few of the expansion races, namely the Shapeshifters and Riverwalkers.

I certainly agree that balancing everything perfectly in any game is extremely difficult, however, I am hoping that the game is balanced enough that casual players don't have to reign in the individual faction powers.

Thanks!
Firstly you will not see the balance issues when you are first playing the game, it will not happen

The balance issues are very much in the competitive level for people who understand all the nuances of the game and I mean all nuances of the game.

Once you are competitive you will see the balance issues and that is a complete misnomer. In the basic game there are 3 or 4 races that struggle at the competitive level and only 1 with the expansion. I could go into details about these balance issues but not only will they make little sense to a new player they will hinder your ability to play well if you try to copy them.

Terra Mystica really is a modern chess game complexity wise where knowing your race, the bonus tiles, area control, and so many more details is the key to victory. I can stomp a new player who is using Darklings with me using any race in the game including Giants without a thought but that is the design of the game.

Ignore the balance threads and come back after you have played each race at least once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Wilborn
msg tools
mbmb
Firstly let me just say that your attitude goes almost entirely against the type of forum response that I have become accustomed to receiving here at BGG. Generally, among all of the forums that I have posted in, people are supportive and don't purposely take things out of context for the sake of argument alone, as you have done so here.

This is not another balance thread, and yes I have read plenty of the threads so I know where the balance issues appear, but if you would refer to my original post, the question is at what level of play do they become apparent or significant.

Thanks for showing your teeth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Wilborn
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, this is what I was hoping.

I certainly understand that at a competitive level the amount of knowledge that someone simply has of the game will allow them to see potential abuses and or balance issues much more clearly, but it is good to know that they do not appear at the basic level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
N├╝rnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
konicki wrote:
What I found was a large amount of balance threads regarding a few of the expansion races, namely the Shapeshifters and Riverwalkers.
For these two races there are official rule changes, see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1456706/official-change-...
The rest shouldn't bother you much, maybe keep away from Fakirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls