Popular Tags: 504:123 [+] 504:163 [+] 504:872 [+] 504:167 [+] [View All]
Anthony C
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy arrived last night (woo!) and I'm excitedly punching, reading, and collating everything for a first play. I plan on going through 123 and a couple of others based on recommendations from friends who got their copies earlier.

In your experience, what are the best worlds you've seen thus far for moving out of the initial play of 123? Anything stand out as a good representation of the game or are we still too early to have any kind of sense of which worlds are better than others?

Excited to hear everyone's experiences thus far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to slowly dip your toe in you can follow up 123 with 163. It is another recommended early game and will introduce you to how residents work with very few extra rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony C
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard good things about 163 for early games - I'll add it to the next week's rotation. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedemann Friese
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: I play with green!Microbadge: BrightMicrobadge: Parent of big brother and little sisterMicrobadge: Whisky drinkerMicrobadge: BoardGameGeek with green hair
We've chosen 163, 872 and 549 for the demonstration at Essen just to show all different modules at 3 tables. I think 872 is another good teaching game.

In 872 everything works in the same direction:
8.I : You build plants for VPs
7.II: You get the income depending on your plants (majorities)
2.III: You race for having first 3 plants of one kind (VPs)

In other worlds it can happen, that working for your income is not helpful for getting more VPs and vice versa.

In 872 you only have to learn how plants are built and how to move over the board. More dynamic, because the residents are in a hurry (faster movement)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people have mentioned that having the first game with residents in a hurry confused them in later games (and lead to a few miss played games) if I you do choose to play 872 before 163 make sure that you explain that residents usually get exhausted when they move but in this game they are in a hurry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony C
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thank you so much! This is a great starter list and I'm excited to try out both 872 and 549 (we got 123 and 163 in already and you're right, very good for getting people into the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: New York 1901 fanMicrobadge: I love all games!Microbadge: Fan of Games Dripping with ThemeMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
167 is very easy too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls