7 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Luck skill checks -- when do they occur? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a feel for when Luck might be called for.

For instance, if you are not using magic, is there any reason not to slide to max luck?

If you do use magic and keep that maxed, you will get screwed when a luck check occurs. But when do they tend to occur?

For example, do Other Worlds call for luck more often than lore?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the game some more, you might find out. Otherwise we'll just fill these forums with spoilers trying to help you "solve" the game before you have really experienced it. Min/Maxing is not a safe approach in AH. I guarantee that as soon as you max Luck, you'll need Lore. Not to mention the fact that it's hard to adjust quickly for most Investigators, because of limitations in Focus. Charging through OW with maxed Luck will leave you with a problem closing the Gate unless you have high Fight skill. If you max your Lore because you "use magic" you will go insane very quickly and will find out that (as I keep telling you) AH is not a guns and sorcery game.

How many games of AH have you played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Play the game some more, you might find out. Otherwise we'll just fill these forums with spoilers trying to help you "solve" the game before you have really experienced it.
+1

But I'm pretty sure that the rulebook advises that Luck checks are the most common in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
As you play the game the cards will ask you to make both luck and lore rolls.

Contrary to what the above poster said I typically DO put my starting slider either all one way or the other. I find being good at one thing is better than mediocre at two.

The thing is deciding which way to go really depends on your character. As you noted if you want to cast spells then you will need a high lore. But Lore is also used for closing gates. If you have a high fight than you won't need high lore for gates.

It seems like Luck checks to come up often enough that if I have a high fight person that doesn't use spells than I will put my luck all the way up.

I don't want to spoil much for you, and really this is just guidelines. The more you play you will find what works best for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to respect mccrispy's notion that you should not "spoil" any secrets to the game, but on the other hand, you might wonder what the point of Luck is when its use is not explicitly called on in the rules. I can also respect your need for a strategic understanding to the many variables involved in a single playable character

I'll give a little bit of a hint hidden in a spoiler, should you choose to give in and look. It's certainly not going to rock your world.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Whenever I teach the game to new players, I give them a run-down of the meaning of their stats. "Speed is your ability to move," "Fight is your ability to kill monsters." I go down the list of the six stats, but stop after Lore. I then go on to say that during random encounters, ANY of these six stats might be called upon... but Luck is more common than any of the others individually.

I'd estimate that half of Arkham encounters are Luck checks. OW might be about the same.

Lore checks are second most common, even though this kind of mucks with the strategizing of where to set your Lore/Luck slider between turns (unless you're about to close a gate or cast a spell, why would you favor one stat far over the other?).

Speed checks are the least common. This is appropriate because the Speed stat is the most used during the game: nearly EVERY turn the investigators are moving, and about half of the strategizing at the start of the turns, when players are deciding how to adjust their stats, is based around how far players can afford to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My rule of thumb: Is this character a Lore character (spell-caster)? If not, max out Luck, never touch that slider for the rest of the game.

IMO/E, Lore checks from encounters that will hurt or cripple you are rarer then real life Cthulhu appearances, while messing Luck checks can ruin your day far more often (OWs in particular, City of the Great Race and/or Great Hall of Celeano are the spots where Lore comes in handy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Dodger
United States
River Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are certain skill checks more common in one Arkham neighborhood than another? In our last game, it seemed like we had a number of encounters at French Hill that focused on one skill in particular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls