Hide
4 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: Clue sharing, sometimes, with a cost. Creating classes of clues rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Fielding
msg tools
Microbadge: Level 08 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking
A clue is some sort of USEFUL knowledge. So sometimes, its also useful to another player.

So what about a way for characters in the same location to see if the other player's clues might also be useful to them (ie give them another clue token)?

Maybe in the Upkeep phase, so this costs some movement - ie cannot do it without halting.

There should be some cost & randomness to successfully share/receive. Maybe roll for each clue, or have a higher chance of getting one clue when more clues are being shared.

One could also create several abstract types of clues, by putting a dot of one (or more) of several colors on each token.

So my character would have a higher chance of "blue" clues being given to me throughout the game. Or it depends on the majority of my clues at the moment: my character has 2 blue and one each of other clues, so at the moment "blue" is better for me. So if someone is trying to share a blue clue, I have a better chance (or its the only color I'm eligible to receive).

With the above, you should not compare clue colors prior to agreeing to meet. You should know that you or the other person "has a lot to share" without knowing how relevent it would be to you.

EDIT: If you use the 4 colors of the Other Worlds, then if you have clues of all the same color as the first color listed for that OW, then it costs you one less clue to seal the gate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
Microbadge: Hyperbole is, without question, the single greatest thing in the entire universe!Microbadge: "You remind me of the babe." "What babe?" "The babe with the power."Microbadge: "What power?" "The power of voodoo." "Who do?"Microbadge: "You do." "Do what?" "Remind me of the babe."Microbadge: A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.
Sure, you can do that. Or several others variants proposed to trade clues.

But, please, keep in mind that not sharing clues makes for players to experimente the whole game. If you can't share, that means you have to go to Arkham locations to get clues, than you will have to move (possibly fighting along the way), than have Other Worlds encounters, than return, close a gate and seal it. To do this better, you will try to get good items, do special actions and such.

There are reasons for clues not being normally shared.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Minecraft fanMicrobadge: PhysicistMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...Microbadge: Graphic Artist
Don't allow clue trading, even if it's thematically sound. What happens is that you quickly determine an all-star character or two who are good at surviving gates and you pile clues onto them.

Much of the fun of the game is refusing to pick up clues because you know another player would benefit more from getting them, and forcing multiple characters to brave the other worlds.

Funny you should mention clue "types": in the planning phase of the game, there were intended to be multiple clue colors, and you could only spend clues of a certain color on encounters in the corresponding neighborhood. Trading might have worked then, but I'm glad they did away with that: it would have added complexity and frustration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matěj Jan Morávek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Meeple That Should Not BeMicrobadge: Magic: The Gathering playerMicrobadge: Mass Effect series fanMicrobadge: Mansions of Madness fanMicrobadge: The Sandman fan
There is a LOT of variants to such complicated and complex game, so only thing that can be said safely is "try it".

Regarding clue sharing, the most used variant I saw so far is the possibility to pool clues while sealing a location (like there are 2+ investigators in a location with a gate, all of them have explored it, while one of them succeeds in closing the gate, all of them may pool the clues to seal the location). Anything more is usually seemed as making the game surprisingly easy. You basically eliminate situations, where you have to strategize so the one investigator with four clues will get the fifth and jump through a gate etc.

Trading during upkeep (as what you suggest is more trading than sharing, more on that later) is not a good thing IMO. You already someplace else said, you have problem managing the movement so inv. can meet. The movement is crucial to the game indeed - you would feel very badly every "delay" or LiTaS. It makes little fun, little to do and tend to bore people. More of staying put in place is usually a bad move (like when weak character is "pinned" by a monster in front of his/her location).

I think the clues are strongly mechanical element of the game. Flavorwise, it just doesn't make sense: If it is some form of knowledge/good tip (like weak spot of a monster, knowledge of some symbol etc.), you should be able to share it, essentially make a copy for each inv. you tell the big secret. That would make the game infinitely easy and boring. If it is some sort of complicated knowledge that is e.g. written or drawn in an old book, impossible to explain or remember, you should still be able to trade it.
I tend to think about clues as something between "gut feeling" and "lost memory". You find yourself in a dire situation and suddenly you just know what to do, but you may not be able to say how you know it or from where. Or it can be pictured like:
Now you have read whole King in Yellow play. Your head aches from all the pictures and verses and you have absolutely no clue, what was it all about, what is important, what is just metaphore. But later, when you find yourself lost in Carcossa, you suddenly realize you have seen this symbol, that you have heard that rhyme and you know what to answer. But you cannot pass this knowledge to anybody else, because you can't possibly know what you will need prior to the situation, where you will use it. You would have to pass the whole book, word by word, picture by picture (which is another problem, why the hell is most of the books one-use-only??? Still have not find answer to that one).

To coloring the clues I will just say that adding more complexity to something as complex as AH is bold and requires big dedication from the players. But back to the first paragraph, try it and see. And post here the result:-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls