Ivano D'Aronco
Italy
Udine
Udine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hy

I did not understand how the game works in 4 players.
It's like magic? Two Head Giant style? Or all against all?

Is possible to play Ashes also in three players? and how? or it's only for 2 and 4 players?

tnx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Free for all. Last phoenixborn standing wins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two-headed giant would be sick though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte Malone
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a three-player game today, and went in thinking I wouldn't like it. It was surprisingly fun. I thought it would end up being a two-on-one beat down, followed by a standard two-player, but it really wasn't. One person did get eliminated first, obviously, but there were three players playing hard for most of the game. The only downside was the additional time it took. But I would play with three again.

As far as the how-to, you just take turns as normal. Once all three have passed, the round ends. First player rotates clockwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 3 player "only attack the player on your left" thing once. It was alright, but the one on one is still best IMO. I would still play 3 player games though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Li
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree one-on-one is the best. I tried a 4 player game, and we mostly only attacked the person across from us, with little crossing to other players, and then it went down to one-on-one.

For me, I wouldn't recommend it. I don't see the need for it, unless there will be a new mechanic that can be incorporated. AND yes, the other players were ready to give up the game took way too long..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean H
msg tools
have 2v2 rules been explored? I could see it being fun having to defend for your teammate, and have them give your unit bonuses while having independent dice pools/decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivano D'Aronco
Italy
Udine
Udine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tnx To All!

we did more or less 3-4 games in 4 players. The game becomes to long, not boring, but it takes a long time to win. Latter case: one-on-one is the best way to play ashes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carrier
Canada
flag msg tools
I have not played the game yet (purchased and studying it for now), but I hope to have a lot of 4-player games in my future!

I'm planning to take a 2-headed-giant style approach... but each player keeps their own deck, lays out their own spells, units, etc.

However, the two players on a team are a "combined target"... so when your Pheonixborn gets attacked, it will be an attack on both of you simultaneously. I'm thinking:

Long game: Combine the health value of both Phoenixborn into one total

Short game: Go with the higher health value of both Phoenixborn

I'm thinking either player under attack may choose to react / block / counter to the incoming attack. But I'm not sure if this part will work though... what do you folks think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivano D'Aronco
Italy
Udine
Udine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
z3m0g wrote:

Long game: Combine the health value of both Phoenixborn into one total

Short game: Go with the higher health value of both Phoenixborn
we tried both of your suggestions. Short game it,s a little bit too short but the Log Game way it's better!

I still have some doubts about "two headed giant game mode" applied to this game, because some decks are much slower than others, but it's just a feeling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximiliam Austin
Italy
Gorizia
flag msg tools
Garau wrote:

I still have some doubts about "two headed giant game mode" applied to this game, because some decks are much slower than others, but it's just a feeling
Hy to all. I tried with my friends the 2HG version of Ashes...... long story short.... BORING! Too long for a card game! It took 1 hour and half more or less... For only ONE PLAY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls