Hide
9 Posts

DC Comics Dice Masters: Justice League» Forums » Rules

Subject: Deadman and Warth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Logue
msg tools
So, Deadman - Boston Brand read "when fielded, capture and opposing character. This capture lasts until Deadman leaves play."

2 questions

1) does this count for sidekicks?

2) When I pair this with the newest Warth, that when he is fielded, you can use one of your characters when fielded abilities. Deadman never leaves play, does this mean I can keep recycling Warth and infinitely keep capturing opposing characters until Deadman dies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMian91 wrote:
So, Deadman - Boston Brand read "when fielded, capture an opposing character. This capture lasts until Deadman leaves play."

2 questions

1) does this count for sidekicks?
Sidekicks, rolled on their pawn face in the Field or Reserve Pool, are considered characters. So, yes.

Quote:
2) When I pair this with the newest Warth, that when he is fielded, you can use one of your characters when fielded abilities. Deadman never leaves play, does this mean I can keep recycling Warth and infinitely keep capturing opposing characters until Deadman dies?
As far as the general understanding of those cards goes, this is absolutely a valid combo (and I was actually just in a discussion about this earlier today).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pacey
United States
Dexter
Michigan
flag msg tools
Jayhawk
badge
KU
mbmbmbmbmb
IMian91 wrote:

I think that Warth copying Deadman's ability means that Warth is now capturing the die, not Deadman. The die that Warth captures would stay captured until that Warth die leaves play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook Microbadge: Board Game Plus Member!Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Game Designer
There are two ways to read Warth's ability:

1. Warth copies the ability of the chosen character and activates it himself.

2. Warth causes the chosen character to reactivate their ability.

There are good arguments for both readings and it is not clear which is more reasonable or least powerful (so we cannot easily apply the rulings guidelines).

Questions have been posted to the WKRF, and I would encourage others to ask too.

In the meantime, if you plan to use this card in a tournament, check with your TO/Judge.

In casual play agree upon an interpretation between yourselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob N
United States
Floral Park
New York
flag msg tools
othing to see here.
badge
mmmmm
mbmbmbmbmb
Except that nowhere on Warth's card does it say that he uses the ability. It specifically says that you may use the when fielded ability of another character. WK doesn't answer Q's much anymore, so we'll be lucky if it's ever clarified, but until then it's up to whomever is running things when you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook Microbadge: Board Game Plus Member!Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Game Designer
IgwanaRob wrote:
Except that nowhere on Warth's card does it say that he uses the ability. It specifically says that you may use the when fielded ability of another character. WK doesn't answer Q's much anymore, so we'll be lucky if it's ever clarified, but until then it's up to whomever is running things when you play.
You can use that argument against either reading, Rob.

Just change "he" to "the chosen character".

But it has to be one or the other, because you, the player, are not the source of character abilities, the characters are.

But, as you and I both said, whilst awaiting an official answer we can only ask the TO/Judge or agree amongst ourselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*I* think the most logical reading of the card, that causes the least rules issues, is that Warth re-triggers another (fielded) character's ability, as if that die had just been fielded again (only without it ever having left the Field Zone).

But definitely seek clarification before relying on it at an event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Phebus
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShadowMan of the Reserve pool had a podcast on just this very combination, and a supporting video showing it in actual use in a game on Vassal (which is a great way to play DM online). In it, he had Deadman having captured two of the opponent's die, the second one when he played Warth and retriggered Deadman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
colwarden wrote:
ShadowMan of the Reserve pool had a podcast on just this very combination, and a supporting video showing it in actual use in a game on Vassal (which is a great way to play DM online). In it, he had Deadman having captured two of the opponent's die, the second one when he played Warth and retriggered Deadman.
And, iirc, they clearly stated, in that podcast, that there is some debate over which interpretation is more likely to be the correct one.

That said, I agree with Paul.

*To me* it seems that the reactivation interpretation is the most reasonable, the least powerful, and leads to the least problematic situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls