Subject: Solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damien
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I saw that people are playing this solo using the co-op rulesbut just wanted to clarify a few rules:

1. Can I play single-handed? Seems like it.

2. When you buy a card with one or more cubes on it, do you discard those cubes or do they get placed onto remaining fame cards. Assume discard, but the rules are silent about this.

3. Can you trash the game cards that you buy and still win? Seems a little bit against the spirit of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And one more: are the common letters played as per the normal rules? Presumably the game doesn't end if you take the last one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm that the cubes are removed (and not redistributed). I've played it co-op with my son.

Likewise the common vowel can be taken but will not end the game if you get through the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
foldedcard wrote:
3. Can you trash the game cards that you buy and still win? Seems a little bit against the spirit of the game.
I've been counting VP points at the end so I've refrained from trashing novels to achieve the highest possible score (aside from as many starting card wilds).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
I can confirm that the cubes are removed (and not redistributed). I've played it co-op with my son.

Likewise the common vowel can be taken but will not end the game if you get through the deck.
Great! That's how I played it. Fell 1c short of buying that last card!

xBino wrote:
foldedcard wrote:
I've been counting VP points at the end so I've refrained from trashing novels to achieve the highest possible score (aside from as many starting card wilds).
That's a good idea. Thanks.

This is a pretty good game for a deck builder, a genre that I usually find to be a bit too mindless. Trying to find words in your hand of cards adds the needed meat to the basic deckbuilding mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing solo would make it statistically slightly easier I think. As you'll be able to get your engine running twice as fast as 2 player. I'm not sure what would balance this however, unless we increase the number of cards in the pyramid a little. You could use the harder rules of 4 cubes on each card or maybe even 3, but getting the proper scaling for solo difficulty would be very hard.

Although saying all that, you are playing solo. AS the rules say for co-op, if 5 is too easy, reduce until you find the challenge you enjoy!

PS. This is a great mash-up of genres and is the first deck-builder my wife loves, rather than just thinks is okay. I also love the 'looks like books' style box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Montes
Argentina
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your questions:

1. Play with only one hand

2. Discard the cubes

3. Yes, you can.

Now, the game in single player as presented in the rules is WAAAAYYY to easy. Nice solitary if you want to pass time and not have a challenge, terribly boring otherwise.

However there is an alternative setup in the photos gallery that is more of a challenge (while still being preaty easy to beat) and your interpretation in your second question led me to think that would be an interesting challenge.

Say, instead of discarding all the cubes, you only discard 1 and redistribute the others... puts more preassure on your shoulders, makes for a more tense game.

I'll give it a try. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Loogman
Canada
flag msg tools
Probably can make it harder using those theme cards. put a theme card next to each tier and remove it when you make a that tier themed word. All rules are the same except you can lose if you complete a tier without removing the theme card. Adds another level of suspense and skill. (I didn't play test this. Paperback is in the mail, just watched playthroughs and read reviews)

Can't remove a themed card on a tier your not on, probably would run through them in the beginning when half your deck is wilds. I'm guessing the last tier would be freaking tense!

If it works it'd probably be a nice any cooperative game variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls