Popular Tags: [View All]
Mauve Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a beverage buyer collect drinks from tiles that it passes by, but does not traverse?

For example, could a normal Cart Operator (range 2) depart from this restaurant and collect the beer near house 7?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Fuentes
United States
Hialeah Gardens
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the beer is at range 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauve Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fremen wrote:
I think the beer is at range 3.
I agree that if you were to place a marketing campaign or restaurant on the tile with the beer, the employee used would need a range 3. The part that I'm asking about is:
rules pg 11 wrote:
Cart operator: starting from one of your restaurant entrances, trace a route of range 2 over roads. Including the tile of your restaurant, the route will thus cover up to three tiles. Take 2 drinks from the stock for each drink symbol you pass by. Note that you have to actually traverse the road orthogonally adjacent to the drink symbol. If there are multiple drink symbols on the same tile, it is sometimes possible to pass them both. However, it is not allowed to make U-turns in order to do so.
(underlines added)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
NikolasCo wrote:
Can a beverage buyer collect drinks from tiles that it passes by, but does not traverse?

For example, could a normal Cart Operator (range 2) depart from this restaurant and collect the beer near house 7?
I am fairly sure you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: iPad enthusiastMicrobadge: PnP / DIY fan Microbadge: Mennonite - Menno SimonsMicrobadge: Book readerMicrobadge: Obsession: Upstairs, Downstairs
I would likewise agree with Michael and say that you could, but a clarification would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doesn't it require a u-turn to get it? if orthogonally adjaqcent means the side of the street and not the entire road.

I'm thinking mailboxes aren't I?

If you mean since you don't actually drive onto the tile with the bottle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kotler
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
I Love Heavy Dry Soulless Euros!!!
badge
When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.
Microbadge: Arkwright fanMicrobadge: Kohle & Kolonie fanMicrobadge: Dilluvia Project fanMicrobadge: Ruhrschifffahrt fanMicrobadge: Gentes fan
I am of the mind frame that you won't pick it up since it is three tiles away, but a clarification wouldn't hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say yes because traveling only 2 tiles away, you pass directly adjacent to the beer. It's a different tile, but you don't have to travel onto the tile, therefore, my thinking says yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kotler
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
I Love Heavy Dry Soulless Euros!!!
badge
When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.
Microbadge: Arkwright fanMicrobadge: Kohle & Kolonie fanMicrobadge: Dilluvia Project fanMicrobadge: Ruhrschifffahrt fanMicrobadge: Gentes fan
NikolasCo wrote:
rules pg 11 wrote:
Cart operator: starting from one of your restaurant entrances, trace a route of range 2 over roads. Including the tile of your restaurant, the route will thus cover up to three tiles. Take 2 drinks from the stock for each drink symbol you pass by. Note that you have to actually traverse the road orthogonally adjacent to the drink symbol. If there are multiple drink symbols on the same tile, it is sometimes possible to pass them both. However, it is not allowed to make U-turns in order to do so.
(underlines added)
The rules also state on the same tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueDane wrote:
NikolasCo wrote:
rules pg 11 wrote:
(underlines added)
The rules also state on the same tile.
I think you're putting the emphasis on the wrong thing. The sentence before is the key one. The sentence you're referring to is simply saying if there happen to be two drinks on a tile, you may be able to get both if you don't do a u turn.

Pretty sure directly orthogonal is all matters. The cart operator does not need to travel on a tile to get a drink from said tile in cases like this.

But I'm sure Jeroen will come in and clarify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:

I think you're putting the emphasis on the wrong thing. The sentence before is the key one. The sentence you're referring to is simply saying if there happen to be two drinks on a tile, you may be able to get both if you don't do a u turn.

Pretty sure directly orthogonal is all matters. The cart operator does not need to travel on a tile to get a drink from said tile in cases like this.

But I'm sure Jeroen will come in and clarify.
I agree. Since side of the road does NOT matter (@ Scott ), it seems that unlike with diner entrances, the actual tile of the seller does not need to be reached, just "its" street.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NikolasCo wrote:

Good question - I'd say yes, since he passes orthogonally to the source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt FromVirginia
United States
Northern Virginia
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jmdsplotter wrote:
NikolasCo wrote:

Good question - I'd say yes, since he passes orthogonally to the source.

Ok - So if the Beer is in range 2, because you pass by the drink while on the road 2 tiles away from Xango, can you also interpret the #13 house is at a range of zero (i.e. it's adjacent to a road that is clearly at a range of zero).

We had this issue last night and I was coming to the msg boards to post my own question on range of houses. My specific example is below - what is the range of house #13 to the Donkey restaurant in the picture below?

Different rules for determining range for drinks and houses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher D.
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkey restaurant to house #13 is range 2, as you cross two tile edges. And yes, this amounts to different rules for houses and drink depots. The drink depot rules state you need to trace to the road space adjacent to the depot, while with the houses you need to trace into the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adiamant wrote:
Donkey restaurant to house #13 is range 2, as you cross two tile edges. And yes, this amounts to different rules for houses and drink depots. The drink depot rules state you need to trace to the road space adjacent to the depot, while with the houses you need to trace into the house.
So it is 2 because the house is not on the same tile as the road it is adjacent to then? Are we certain?

Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adiamant wrote:
Yes, exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
NikolasCo wrote:
Hopefully this is clear. Pretend we have a modified version of the above map. Instead of

A B C
D E F

It's

X D X
A B C
X D F

(Where the X's are irrelevant, and the top D is upside down)
Can a beverage route pick up from both the top and bottom D and continue on to A?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
adiamant wrote:
So it is 2 because the house is not on the same tile as the road it is adjacent to then? Are we certain?

Thanks!!
No, that's wrong. 13 is at distance 1 to Xango restaurant. The customer has to cross over one tile border. There is no problem for the customer to leave their house in the north direction.
Edit: Well, I am confused. I do not see a donkey restaurant in the picture. Besides that, I agree that the distance rules for buyers and customers are in that sense different that you measure customers from house to restaurant while you only trace the route for the buyers (they do not need to enter the drink vendors).
Edit2: Ah, I looked at the wrong picture (thanks Michael). House 13 is indeed in distance 2 from the Donkey restaurant.
By the way: Billboard 12 would actually need to have been placed next to a road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Chunko wrote:
NikolasCo wrote:
Hopefully this is clear. Pretend we have a modified version of the above map. Instead of

A B C
D E F

It's

X D X
A B C
X D F

(Where the X's are irrelevant, and the top D is upside down)
Can a beverage route pick up from both the top and bottom D and continue on to A?
From earlier rulings you can circle tile B and you can retrace old track if you have enough movement. so you could circle tile B as many times as you want, but you only can collect drinks from each space once.

So i'd definitely assume the answer is yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ringo84 wrote:
saturnkk wrote:
adiamant wrote:

Thanks!!
No, that's wrong. 13 is at distance 1 to Xango restaurant. The customer has to cross over one tile border. There is no problem for the customer to leave their house in the north direction.
they are talking about

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This rule permits the odd (and admittedly rare) situation where a cart operator can have access to more drinks than a zeppelin pilot because the zeppelin only gets drinks from the tiles directly flown over whereas the cart operator can also get drinks from adjacent tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
This rule permits the odd (and admittedly rare) situation where a cart operator can have access to more drinks than a zeppelin pilot because the zeppelin only gets drinks from the tiles directly flown over whereas the cart operator can also get drinks from adjacent tiles.
On a related note, worth noting that the Truck Driver picks up 3 drinks per source, while the Zeppelin only picks up 2. If accessibility isn't an issue, the Truck Driver can be a better choice than the Zeppelin. Similarly, if a particular drink simply isn't available on the board, then the lowly Errand Boy and his ability to pick any drink of his choice might be the best option.

I really like how drink collection and food production are different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
dkeisen wrote:
On a related note, worth noting that the Truck Driver picks up 3 drinks per source, while the Zeppelin only picks up 2. If accessibility isn't an issue, the Truck Driver can be a better choice than the Zeppelin. Similarly, if a particular drink simply isn't available on the board, then the lowly Errand Boy and his ability to pick any drink of his choice might be the best option.

I really like how drink collection and food production are different.
The biggest difference is this:
Errand Boy is typically < Cart operator, who is typically < Truck Driver, who is typically < Zeppelin who is not always > any other drink buyer.
Whereas,
Kitchen Boy is always < either cook who is always < either chef.

I love how sometimes the Truck is the best, other times multiple Errand boys are best. It adds to the replayability of the game for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Quartermaster General fanMicrobadge: Roads & Boats fanMicrobadge: Age of Steam fanMicrobadge: Root fan

The house 13 is range two from the Fried Donkey resturant, that is well understood.

But if there would be a lemonade drinkstands next to the house 13 adjecent to the roads on the tile with the house nr 5. That lemonade would be range 1 from the Donkey resturant. Becouse houses you need to enter, drinkstands you just need to pass adjecent using the road. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:

The house 13 is range two from the Fried Donkey resturant, that is well understood.

But if there would be a lemonade drinkstands next to the house 13 adjecent to the roads on the tile with the house nr 5. That lemonade would be range 1 from the Donkey resturant. Becouse houses you need to enter, drinkstands you just need to pass adjecent using the road. Correct?
Yes, correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |