Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Saga: Character Ledger

"Forge New, Record Legend"

Version: beta 1.04

A simple to use Dungeon Saga character builder, shared online that allows you to forge a new character of any level and ability as per Mantic's new Dungeon Saga ruleset.
-
Then when your adventures draw to a close and everything has to be put away, easily record your Adventurer's advancements & items into legend for use in future games.

Available at:

http://1drv.ms/1MvwJCU

...or as a file download in the DS file section here on BGG.

(built as a MS Excel worksheet - no VBA code)

FEATURES:
- All Dungeon Saga character races and professions from the Adventurer's Companion expansion, with automatic base stats & health calculation
- All Dungeon Saga evil/boss character races from the Adventurer's Companion Expansion
- Every Race, Profession, General and Location based Feats and Ability options available for building & advancing your character
- All Schools of Magic and associated Spells available to select and record (CORE game + Adv Companion)
- Every Song, Magic Item, Weapons, Armour options (and more!) available to select and record (CORE game + Adv Companion)

Use it online to quickly build your base character stats or download for future offline use to advance and save your character builds.

Feedback and ideas are welcomed!

*NOTE* A copy of the Dungeon Saga CORE game and/or the Adventurer's Companion expansion are needed to learn the ruleset and provide the in-game details for all the available options in the Character Ledger.

To see the ledger with the correctly themed text (as it was intended), I used the following two fonts for the descriptive text matching the DS theme and the heart gems for wounds:

Main/Descriptive Text: "Deutsch-Gothic-Font"
http://www.fonts2u.com/deutsch-gothic.font by J. Fordyce

Heart Gems: "Heart Shapes Font"
http://www.fonts2u.com/heart-shapes.font by TattooWoo

All rights reserved by the original creators and for personal use only.

STARTING OUT:
An account is NOT required to access the Character Ledger.

To enable you to select the Character options in the builder, please click on the green Edit in Browser button towards the upper right of the screen:

You can also download a copy for offline use (no VBA code has been added)

HOW TO:
I've included some basic "How To" notes alongside the main builder section that should help with using it, but it is pretty easy to get to grips with.

FUTURE PLANS:
>> Improve design & layout to optimize use as a printable Character Card (ongoing)
>> Include all expansion related Spells, Songs and Items
>> Include corrected/revised rules that evolve from Mantic/Community input
>> Include custom race and profession builds that may be developed and balanced by the community
>> Refine the format/design & layout for simple printing (possibly include a B&W version)
>> Release an Offline version that will feature pictures to represent your characters Race selection and may feature VBA code for more advanced calculations.

12/11/15 ***I've renamed my builder to avoid confusion with the previously & originally released Character Builder by BGG user Iain Benson that is available as a file here on the Geek. No intentional use of Iain's original file name was meant! Sorry Iain***

PREVIEW:

VERSION 1.04 NOTES
Spoiler (click to reveal)

15/11/2015
- Added CORE/BASE game items & spells not featured in Adv Companion:
Spells > Rot (Petty), Feet of Stone (Geomancy), Banshee Wail, Bleed, Faithful in Death, Shriek, Soul Burn, Unspeakable Fear (all Necromancy), Darkness (Sorcery)
Armour > Runic Breastplate, Spidersilk Armour
Weapons > Forgebreaker, Runed Staff of Silibar
Misc Items > Dunstan's Amulet of Protection, Tome of Valandor

VERSION 1.03 NOTES

12/11/2015
Renaming of the builder to avoid confusion with previously & originally released Character Builder available as a file on BGG by Iain Benson.

11/11/2015 PM
- Added all Adventurers Companion card types & names (items/spells/songs)
- Added "Satchel" section to list/record any items gained, filtered by item type
- Added "Knowledge" section to list/record songs & spells learned, filtered by Song & Magic Schools
- Added options to select/record additional Schools of Magic learned

VERSION 1.02 NOTES
11/11/2015 AM
- Added all Enemy/Boss Races plus associated Feats & Abilities
- Changed Portrait box to Gold & Glory tracker/recording boxes
- Adjusted Schools of Magic section to now allow entry of up to 4x Schools as per potential Wizard's Abilities upgrade path
- Added vertical banners to lay accumulated cards along side if using a printed version
- Some general layout changes

Edit: updated with latest release notes & preview image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Dungeon Saga - Character Builder
Need a glory (which links to level) and gold area recording areas and a magic item area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks Erio - not received the game yet, but in terms of those 3 things (gold, glory and magic items) do they not have a physical component?

e.g. gold & glory tokens that you can place on the character card?

I'd actually assumed there would be something physical to represent them in the game, so the idea would be to place them on the portrait square which I can rename as the Gold & Glory pot in the Online version as images are not going to be possible there.

In terms of the magic items (and even for spells), as they are physical components that are assigned at the start or collected during gameplay, I was considering adding some vertical banners to the left and right hand sides of the character card to identify areas to lay/sort your cards.

Hope that makes sense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the campaign game(where a character sheet generator is useful), glory and gold are just numbers to be tracked. So you definitely need a stop to write them down. While magic items have physical cards a backup list is a good idea if you have multiple campaigns going or are sort of occasionally doing it so everything can be cleaned up properly between games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eriochrome wrote:
In the campaign game(where a character sheet generator is useful), glory and gold are just numbers to be tracked. So you definitely need a stop to write them down. While magic items have physical cards a backup list is a good idea if you have multiple campaigns going or are sort of occasionally doing it so everything can be cleaned up properly between games.

Done & done - all Adventurers Companion Content added for record in the Satchel & Knowledge sections, filtered by type.

There's no intelligence behind picking your School of Magic and those spells available for selection - so you have to police yourself and know the rules/restrictions. The addition of some filtering by School etc, does save scrolling through long lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Renamed to "Dungeon Saga: Character Ledger" so as to not copy original builder name from Iain Benson already posted in the Files section.

Added an offline version to the BGG Files section.

Tidied up the "How To" notes section on the worksheet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Signore
Italy
Napoli
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! A very good ledger, indeed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quick update to say new content added - the items & spells from the CORE/BASE game have been added to the ledger so as it's not solely focused on the progression & advancement rules from the Adventurer's Companion.

I'd aimed to add these when I received my base pledge (hopefully before next weekend) but other backers/players have put up a full item inventory and I've been able to add them from that.

NOTE: The url/link has also changed and the new one posted above.

Content from the Warlords of Galahir, Infernal Crypts, Tyrant of Halpi and Return of Valandor expansions will follow once I get my stuff and can physically see the components I'm adding.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol - I just loaded the Character Ledger up from another computer and realize the fonts look horrible!

This wasn't how it was intended and I thought that Excel Online would upload & use the font types that I had used in building the doc.

As I obviously got that wrong, if you want to see how the ledger should work with the correct fonts (both the descriptive text and the gems for the wounds) please search & download these 2 fonts:

Main/Descriptive Text: "Deutsch-Gothic-Font"
http://www.fonts2u.com/deutsch-gothic.font by J. Fordyce

Heart Gems: "Heart Shapes Font"
http://www.fonts2u.com/heart-shapes.font by TattooWoo

All rights reserved by the original creators and for personal use only.

I'll see about uploading a cleaner version using standard font types available across the board so it doesn't look so rough - apologies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Minor update - I've modified the fonts used so it is now universal for everyone whether you access it online/offline/PC/mobile etc

I've tried to represent the Health Gems with some coupled angular brackets - not really happy with it but as I'm having to use a single font I don't have any options to customize. I think it gets the idea across.

Does it?

I'd have liked to have kept the proper Dungeon Saga theme in the text and some graphics but that's just not possible unless I code something up myself outside of excel.

Possible future project maybe, but for the forseeable future I'll focus on expanding this excel-based version with new items and cleaner functions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cervantes
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do I down load it or how do I use it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cervantes
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok I downloaded it, but why doesn't the hearts look like hearts anymore?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Daniel,

Sorry for the delay in reply - the original version screenshots were taken using custom fonts that I have installed at home that display the hearts.

These fonts aren't universal and not everyone has them, so when the ledger was accessed by others it wouldn't display properly and showed letters rather than heart symbols which made it hard to tell what it was meant to be.

So I had to make a compromise for the online version and replaced all the fonts with MS's universal set and adjust the heart symbols to something that looked familiar but that everyone could see. In their place you now have an abstract gem symbol instead of a heart.

I do intent to release an offline version in the future that keeps the heart symbols in place, but I want to wait until I have all the components myself and see how the game plays so I can get a better feel for what I need to include in the Ledger.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ciaran,

Your work is very much apreceated. Will there be a possibility to put a picture in the Characterportrait?
That woul of course not be necessary... but nice ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raph Moimoi
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:
Hey Ciaran,

Your work is very much apreceated. Will there be a possibility to put a picture in the Characterportrait?
That woul of course not be necessary... but nice ;-)
That would be great cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Thorsten, Raph,

Yes, I'll have Race portraits/images in the offline, downloadable version of the ledger.

I had to strip it out of the online version that I've linked to in this thread as it is unsupported in excel online and I wanted to make this initial version as easily accessible to as many as I could.

But ultimately the offline version in excel that I'll put up in the Files section here on BGG (replacing the one I already have there) will branch out a bit different, with a greater emphasis on it's design and style to fit in with the Dungeon Saga theme.

Cheers for both your interest!

Not sure on a timeline as I've only just received my pledge (yeah!) but I have most of the functionality already in place, I just need to make it look good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vladvondrak drakenburg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
any more updates? i have tried it with a few faults in it .
1 you passworded it so one cannot correct the faults.

2 some of the occupation roles are incorrect to the ac book. eg the adjustments to the state line , i found the problem , base values should read move 6 combat 2 and armour 1 respectfully

3 the spell and item list could do with a blank inserted in the dropdown choice list.
oh and one last thing, it would seem that since downloading your drive has vanished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Vladvondrak,

I'm actually working on a new version, though I think it will end up being a download only option.

1) I had to put a password on the online version to keep it under my control as it is associated with my online account.

2) I'm not sure I see what you mean - which professions are wrong exactly? Do you mean the Dwarf, Halfling and Gladewalker baseline? The last local version of the online doc show each of those with the correct setup.
I built the race profiles individually as a baseline for each race itself, rather than create a single baseline and apply a race modifier and then apply a profession modifier.
Perhaps it is an old version you have access to but I'm not seeing an issue with the last data I had available.

3) Agree completely, any future version will have this included

Looks like Microsoft did something to adjust the file or the link as it was still active against my account. However, as an inline version will never be as feature reach as I'd want it, I suspect I'll leave this online version to fade away and let a future manual download version replace it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls