Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excited to get this, so I set it up and played through the very first mission yesterday. I was solo, so I picked two characters and played them both.

Enjoyed it! The Overkill option is a very clever approach...

I did have some questions that probably are in the rulebook but that I overlooked or missed.

1.) I know that different aliens have different priorities as to which group moves first. In the case of the same alien type, if I have multiples of them on the board, is there a priority for them to move? If I have several saucermen, do I get to pick which group moves? I know maybe it wouldn't matter in most cases, but was curious if it mattered in *any* case. Since the aliens do their turn without any threat of player reaction, it might be moot?

2.) Bugs. For the bugs, they all have to group up and then move and attack as a group. Which bug goes first, or which bug should be the bug that the group of bugs congregate to?

3.) I ended up shooting down a lot of the enemies pretty quickly, because I had the rifle and basically just shot them repeatedly on my turn: since they all had the ranged rifles, I was able to use my 3 AP actions for the one character (forget his name, but he has two regular APs and a Combat only AP) to mow down the aliens, most of whom were a single hit point.

I also used the other character's stun overkill ability to keep the aliens from really being able to move towards me (the ones that hadn't been shot anyway).

Even when we revealed the Sentinel, we had range and LOS and were able to shoot him well before he ever approached us.

That leads into...

4.) Easy. The scenario was really not that taxing, we were able to mow through the scenario without much resistance. Makes me wonder if we missed something important or if the first mission is a 'gimme', and subsequent ones are the ones that smack you like a dying goldfish.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:
1.) I know that different aliens have different priorities as to which group moves first. In the case of the same alien type, if I have multiples of them on the board, is there a priority for them to move? If I have several saucermen, do I get to pick which group moves? I know maybe it wouldn't matter in most cases, but was curious if it mattered in *any* case. Since the aliens do their turn without any threat of player reaction, it might be moot?

The only way this would ever come up is if they kill a target, but you instantly lose in that case. So it never matters what order you do it in. All alien moves are deterministic. Only their attack rolls are in any way unpredictable.

Quote:
2.) Bugs. For the bugs, they all have to group up and then move and attack as a group. Which bug goes first, or which bug should be the bug that the group of bugs congregate to?

You move them such that they group up using the fewest possible moves. If they can't group up completely, get them as close as possible to fully grouped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Rose
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:
. . .the first mission is a 'gimme', and subsequent ones are the ones that smack you like a dying goldfish.

Yeah, pretty much this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Thanks for the speedy replies. On to mission 2!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:
In the case of the same alien type, if I have multiples of them on the board, is there a priority for them to move?

You'll find it makes no difference -- move them in any order and the result is the same.

Auzette wrote:
curious if it mattered in *any* case. Since the aliens do their turn without any threat of player reaction, it might be moot?

There are only two cases where it can possibly make a difference: (1) when there are two Sentinels in play there's a chance the first one's Terror Overkill Option might impact the second's move; and (2) if a Rocketeer has a functioning Invisibility Device. In such rare cases, you can decide which alien moves first randomly.

Auzette wrote:
Which bug goes first, or which bug should be the bug that the group of bugs congregate to?

Same answer: once you determine the the sequence of Bug moves that results in the maximum number of attack dice, you'll find the order doesn't matter.

Auzette wrote:
The scenario was really not that taxing, we were able to mow through the scenario without much resistance. Makes me wonder if we missed something important or if the first mission is a 'gimme', and subsequent ones are the ones that smack you like a dying goldfish.

Yes -- the Mercury starter scenario was really just designed to familiarize civilians with concepts like dice, range, hit points, etc.

Venus is much tougher, and Earth is probably a little easier than Venus. Then the Moon comes along and smacks you in the face. Or at least that's what we've been hearing from the field. Perhaps your experience will differ -- either way, please post an after-action report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan R. wrote:
Auzette wrote:
In the case of the same alien type, if I have multiples of them on the board, is there a priority for them to move?

You'll find it makes no difference -- move them in any order and the result is the same.

Auzette wrote:
curious if it mattered in *any* case. Since the aliens do their turn without any threat of player reaction, it might be moot?

There are only two cases where it can possibly make a difference: (1) when there are two Sentinels in play there's a chance the first one's Terror Overkill Option might impact the second's move; and (2) if a Rocketeer has a functioning Invisibility Device. In such rare cases, you can decide which alien moves first randomly.

Auzette wrote:
Which bug goes first, or which bug should be the bug that the group of bugs congregate to?

Same answer: once you determine the the sequence of Bug moves that results in the maximum number of attack dice, you'll find the order doesn't matter.

Auzette wrote:
The scenario was really not that taxing, we were able to mow through the scenario without much resistance. Makes me wonder if we missed something important or if the first mission is a 'gimme', and subsequent ones are the ones that smack you like a dying goldfish.

Yes -- the Mercury starter scenario was really just designed to familiarize civilians with concepts like dice, range, hit points, etc.

Venus is much tougher, and Earth is probably a little easier than Venus. Then the Moon comes along and smacks you in the face. Or at least that's what we've been hearing from the field. Perhaps your experience will differ -- either way, please post an after-action report.

Awesome. Thanks for the response and confirmations... I guess it's time to take off the training wheels and head to Venus, then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried the Moon mission about four times, with 5 and 6 players, and mixes of newbs and hard core gamers.

We still haven't won, but had fun trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.