Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale C
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going back about 20+ years but I used to own the 86' version of F&E. I recall one issue we had playing it was the production capacity was more than sufficient to produce all the lost ships in combat so that after many turns we had more ships than we knew what to do with. The combat if I remember correctly could be designated as either full 100% or lower amounts of agression, we had to play 100% all the time and we still have a million cheaply produced units. Has this changed at all in later versions, or is this just something weird that only we ran into that is not common? Looking into getting the new 2010 F&E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
Microbadge: Wargamer of 30+ yearsMicrobadge: Veteran of a Foreign WarMicrobadge: Level 04 BGG posterMicrobadge: Parent of Two Boys and Two GirlsMicrobadge: Autism Awareness
I cant say I ever had that problem. Usually by mid game, my cash flow is so swallowed by repairs that I have never been able to produce the full production capacity for the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mahjong fanMicrobadge: Hanabi fanMicrobadge: Go playerMicrobadge: Pax Renaissance fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
I thought I heard that a later edition had some kind of kill shot rule where you can pick a single ship and outright kill it for double the usual points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking, fleet sizes will go up during the first half of the game. Mostly because players will cripple more and kill less than was originally envisioned since it's a lot cheaper to repair a ship than replace one.

The Directed Damage rule has been in since the beginning, but doesn't make up the difference. The latest edition did add an 'auto-kill' rule, but is pretty hard to invoke. Part of this is because the first few turns are finely balanced; if ship kills go up noticeably before the Federation gets involved, the Kzinti and Hydran navies will quickly become ineffective (the Coalition can absorb extra ship kills a lot better).

In the mid game, fleet sizes taper off into stable state as economies go down. Later (and especially when using Advanced Ops) fleet sizes start crashing as PFs raise ComPots another ~18 points and X-ships make Directed Damage a lot easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale C
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
Generally speaking, fleet sizes will go up during the first half of the game. Mostly because players will cripple more and kill less than was originally envisioned since it's a lot cheaper to repair a ship than replace one.

The Directed Damage rule has been in since the beginning, but doesn't make up the difference. The latest edition did add an 'auto-kill' rule, but is pretty hard to invoke. Part of this is because the first few turns are finely balanced; if ship kills go up noticeably before the Federation gets involved, the Kzinti and Hydran navies will quickly become ineffective (the Coalition can absorb extra ship kills a lot better).

In the mid game, fleet sizes taper off into stable state as economies go down. Later (and especially when using Advanced Ops) fleet sizes start crashing as PFs raise ComPots another ~18 points and X-ships make Directed Damage a lot easier.
That probably explains why I saw that as we never made it past mid-game when the economies should be constricting. I just placed an order tonight for the old 1986 version that I used to have. Perhaps after tooling with that for a bit I will consider the many expansions which appear to come with the 2010 version and pick that up once familiar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
Microbadge: Wargamer of 30+ yearsMicrobadge: Veteran of a Foreign WarMicrobadge: Level 04 BGG posterMicrobadge: Parent of Two Boys and Two GirlsMicrobadge: Autism Awareness
dalec wrote:
Rindis wrote:

That probably explains why I saw that as we never made it past mid-game when the economies should be constricting. I just placed an order tonight for the old 1986 version that I used to have. Perhaps after tooling with that for a bit I will consider the many expansions which appear to come with the 2010 version and pick that up once familiar.
I wouldnt. Just go 2010. The rulebook has been so heavily reworked, rewritten, and expanded that most of the '86 rules no longer apply the same way. You would basically end up relearning the game.

I have an '86 and a '10 and the thickness between the rulebooks is astronimical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls