Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thalla Rothach
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The full title is "100 Games Pavilion Anniversary Collection" published by Toys 'R' Us. I saw this in my local Toys 'R' Us store and my interest was piqued when I saw on the lid what looked like the "Game of Goose" board, a very old game that became "folkized" as it spread, each country creating its own variant.

So I picked it up-and, yes, it was "Game of Goose." That the game contains 100 games I think is what is called "puffery" by advertisers. It contains nine other board games: Chess, Backgammon, Pachisi, Nine Men's Morris, Racing Game (which re-implements Derby Steeple Chase of 1899), Chinese Checkers, Snakes & Ladders, Checkers, and Solitaire.

36 dice games that are simplified variants of traditional games from various countries: Dice-1000 (<Farkle), Your Neighbor (<Help Your Neighbor), Hazard, Barbudi (<Barbotte), Aces, Cho-han Bakuchi, Pursuing Sheep (<Kon Min Yeung), Heaven and Nine (<Chak T'in Kau), Ten, Cubilete, Yacht/Yatzy/General, Chicago, Baseball/One-Die Baseball/Two-/Three-Dice Baseball, Basketball, Beetle (<Cootie), Buck Dice, Drop Dead, Pig, Ship Captain Mate and Crew, Thirty Six, Par, Centennial, Everest, Going to Boston, Multiplication, Indian Dice, Hooligan, Twenty One, Fifty, Poker Dice, and C-LO.

The remainder of the games are Matchstick puzzles. One is to make a picture out of matchsticks, then another one, and are only allowed to move a couple sticks to do so. I asked my mother if she ever heard of this and she said when in grade school it was a thing she to do in math class, so they've been around for at least 50 years.

If anyone was wondering about this set. Reviews I saw on Toys 'R' Us' website didn't mention what games were in it so I thought I'd let everyone know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
I have an old catch-all board that my grandma got me as a birthday gift probably 25 years ago. It boasts a similar total (probably more, actually). Most are just variations. They'll list a base game, then 15 slight variations to get to 16. So yeah, it's a lot of filler.

But that's not really the point, yeah? There's a similar item available at Wal-mart that boasts 101 games. It's 5 2-sided boards, so I assume there's exactly 10 games worth playing, and 91 filler variations that I'll never bother with. But for $15, I'd be good with just the 10.

I actually love the board from my grandma. One side is a Crokinole board, among other things, so it serves its purpose. There's probably no more than 3 or 4 games I'd ever play using it, but that's more than enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls