Subject: The Yale Story - Perspective to think about rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Well Well,

First it turns out that the essence of the story facts pretty much are probably true.

Classmate who helped design the prank backs up Carson's story

Quote:
“When I read about the story in the Wall Street Journal, I immediately said, to my wife and friend, ‘That was the prank we played at the Record! And Ben Carson was in the class,’” said Bakal

Bakal, the Record editorial assistant at the time, remembered other details about the prank that are compatible with Carson’s account, such as the unusual difficulty of the test. “Several students showed up, and the fake exam, a parody of exam — in fact, it had real psych questions, because I had taken the class the year before, but it was a more difficult and probing personal exam,” he said.

But Bakal also backed up Carson’s claim that “at the end what few students remained — it may have just been one or two, I wasn’t there — received a small cash prize.” Bakal noted a staffer from the Record “impersonated a proctor to give the test.” (Carson said a professor had given him the cash prize in his written account.)

But the REAL perspective that the PRESS should be ashamed of itself for perverting is this:

They twisted the entire point of the story related in the book.

I just went and read it and I am infuriated anew by the asinine pettiness of the Press and the depths of misdirection THEY will go to when they are out to get someone.

The story starts with Carson talking about how money was always scarce for him at college and he says that twice, when flat broke God found a way to bless him.

Once was via a $10 bill just laying on the ground right after he had been praying for money at least for bus fare to get him through the next few weeks.

Then the next year, when stuck again with zero money, he prayed and then he went looking around on the ground in the area God had provided before, but couldn't look very long because he had to go to a make-up test.

Tells the test story, adding the additional problem of now being stressed out because the test was so much harder than the original had been. And that others were leaving saying they were going to go study more and then tell the teacher they hadn't seen the article about where to take the make-up test. So they would likely do better on the test than he would. But since he didn't feel comfortable doing that he stayed and prayed for help to get though the test and do as well as possible.

When everybody else had left, then the teacher came back in and TOLD him it had been a HOAX. He even used that word in his book, hoax. Then gave him $10 prize for being the last one (and therefore most honest one) there.

The purpose of the story was not how honest Ben Carson is, it was that GOD is faithful to supply our needs if we TRUST IN GOD and always do our best to follow our understanding of God's will.

The HOAX was they way God used to BLESS HIM. But if he had given up like the rest of the students did he would have missed the BLESSING.

Link to end of story, click and scroll up to read it all

So it turns out that the ESSENCE of the story is true in every way that mattered.

The God who uses ALL THINGS to work good for those who love HIM, used even a HOAX to bestow Blessings on Ben and meet the needs he had been praying about. That is what Ben Carson took away from that incident and WHY he was telling the story.

That the press and people here, have been using it to say he was bragging about being honest while telling a false story is even more despicable than I have words to express. They should be ASHAMED.

Who cares if he remembered the class name wrong. or which paper was recording information to tell the story, or even how many people showed up. He showed up and stayed, doing his best on a much harder test, knowing it might hurt his grade to do so. And in the end God used that earnest effort to provide the $10 he needed and had been praying for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This Yale story is way too insane to be true:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/the-new-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
This Yale story is way too insane to be true:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/the-new-...

laugh

I will clarify,

The Ben Carson Yale Story the Press is trying to discredit him for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never heard of it. But I'm sure the Yale story I linked to is much better than that one. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Agents of legitimate governments serve those over whom they exercise power, not those who exercise power over them.
mbmb
This account changes my impression of the situation substantially. I now regard the errors in his account as of no real significance.

I don't actually feel shame, because my reaction still seems reasonable given the facts I was given. I can't even blame the press for failing to find evidence of an anecdote given incorrect information about the course number, title, publication, and identity of the person giving out the money. If there'd been no information offered about those things, I'd have expected them to do more digging, but the outrage that they only checked the claims he actually made seems misplaced.

There's an interesting potential moral hazard problem here. Now that Carson's writings have been shown to be difficult to fact-check on substance due to their inaccuracies about details, I fear that the generally lazy press will be more reticent to check the accuracy of his stories about his past than they would of a more accurate candidate. Not something to worry about until we see evidence of it, but I'm amused to be able to imagine a situation in which being wrong makes people LESS likely to scrutinize one's claims.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
Microbadge: L5R Crane ClanMicrobadge: Legends of Andor fanMicrobadge: Arena Rex fanMicrobadge: Infinite Diversity in Infinite CombinationsMicrobadge: Hellraiser fan - Lemarchand's Box
pwn3d wrote:

So this God, an omniscient being and absolute master of all time and space. Lets childhood disease and genocide just run rampant and sits idle. But Ben Carson needs $10? God is on the case. OK. That makes sense.
You should be ASHAMED of yourself for doubting this report from the journalistic giant Buzzfeed.

Sure, there are massive inaccuracies and sure, key facts of the story are incorrect, but the point is JESUS CHRIST IS LORD and this kind, honest, and 100% genuine man was unfairly smeared because he was BLACK and CHRISTIAN.

THERE ARE LITERALLY NO WORDS AND I AM SERIOUSLY CRYING HERE NOW GUYS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilthuain wrote:
pwn3d wrote:

So this God, an omniscient being and absolute master of all time and space. Lets childhood disease and genocide just run rampant and sits idle. But Ben Carson needs $10? God is on the case. OK. That makes sense.
You should be ASHAMED of yourself for doubting this report from the journalistic giant Buzzfeed.

Sure, there are massive inaccuracies and sure, key facts of the story are incorrect, but the point is JESUS CHRIST IS LORD and this kind, honest, and 100% genuine man was unfairly smeared because he was BLACK and CHRISTIAN.

THERE ARE LITERALLY NO WORDS AND I AM SERIOUSLY CRYING HERE NOW GUYS.
If I don't forward your post, does that mean I don't love Jesus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
$10 is pretty low prize for honesty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
@Ilthuain: Does it hurt you that you can't put HIS HOLY WORD in it's proper red lettering as God and King James demanded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chemical EngineerMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Control Systems Engineer
I haven't seen yet: has Carson ever revealed when he found out this whole thing was a prank instead of an "honesty test" done by the class professor? Or did he never realize it at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chemical EngineerMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Control Systems Engineer
Also since he had that newspaper clipping with the actual details, why was the made up story published rather than the actual one?

I realize that if you look for God in stuff that happens in the world, it's kind of a self fulfilling thing: he will be there in the $10 or the lack of the $10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
pwn3d wrote:

Not once, but TWICE! The Divine ATM always comes through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
single sentences wrote:
yeah, but not bad for being pranked 45 years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pwn3d wrote:

This seems a valid criticism of an item in Carson's book. What the class was named and whether the incorrect name was used doesn't.

See the difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:

The God who uses ALL THINGS to work good for those who love HIM, used even a HOAX to bestow Blessings on Ben and meet the needs he had been praying about. That is what Ben Carson took away from that incident and WHY he was telling the story.

I believe the hoax was just another way of God telling the rest of us that this guy makes up shit and absolutely has no idea what is really going on around him.

God works in mysterious ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
It was another honesty test, but divine this time. He should have turned around and gave that $10 to charity, since a Yale student low on cash is sort of a first world problem. Keeping the money cemented his place in a sulfurous lava jacuzzi right next to the rest of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Copies of the 1970 edition of the Record are not available at Yale’s library, an official told BuzzFeed News. (The school’s archives end in 1969 and don’t pick up again until the late 1970s.)"

Clearly, there is a cover-up going on.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Mandatory note for those whose sarcasm detectors are malfunctioning that this is a joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
"Copies of the 1970 edition of the Record are not available at Yale’s library, an official told BuzzFeed News. (The school’s archives end in 1969 and don’t pick up again until the late 1970s.)"

Clearly, there is a cover-up going on.
Sounds like a job for that Arizona Sheriff who proved Obama's birth certificate was a fake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a wasted effort ! Imagine the possibilities if Carson had prayed for world peace or a cure for cancer and God had blessed him accordingly.

Sorry, but any man who actually thinks that finding ten dollars on the ground when he's prayed for money, while millions of others' prayers for food or good health go unanswered daily is some kind of blessing from God is not thinking straight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
What a wasted effort ! Imagine the possibilities if Carson had prayed for world peace or a cure for cancer and God had blessed him accordingly.

Sorry, but any man who actually thinks that finding ten dollars on the ground when he's prayed for money, while millions of others' prayers for food or good health go unanswered daily is some kind of blessing from God is not thinking straight.
I was taught not to pray for money as a kid, it went under 'base worldly desires'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love DragonsMicrobadge: An African or European swallow?Microbadge: Titan fanMicrobadge: Red Dwarf fanMicrobadge: David A. Trampier fan
Speaking of Yale...

"Academic tweet of the year"

"If you hate seeing your kid grow up, for $50,000 a year we can transform your teenager back into a fucking baby." -- Michael C. Moynihan, columnist at The Daily Beast and contributor to VICE News

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
sikeospi wrote:
Speaking of Yale...

"Academic tweet of the year"

"If you hate seeing your kid grow up, for $50,000 a year we can transform your teenager back into a fucking baby." -- Michael C. Moynihan, columnist at The Daily Beast and contributor to VICE News
drew already posted that one 6 days ago

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love DragonsMicrobadge: An African or European swallow?Microbadge: Titan fanMicrobadge: Red Dwarf fanMicrobadge: David A. Trampier fan
Okay, how about this one?

"This is not a day care. This is a university!” -- Everett Piper, president of Oklahoma Wesleyan University

"... the topic of 1 Corinthians 13. It appears that this young scholar felt offended because a homily on love made him feel bad for not showing love! In his mind, the speaker was wrong for making him, and his peers, feel uncomfortable. I'm not making this up. Our culture has actually taught our kids to be this self-absorbed and narcissistic! Any time their feelings are hurt, they are the victims! Anyone who dares challenge them and, thus, makes them ‘feel bad’ about themselves, is a ‘hater,’ a ‘bigot,’ an ‘oppressor,’ and a ‘victimizer.’

...If you want the chaplain to tell you you're a victim rather than tell you that you need virtue, this may not be the university you're looking for. ...we teach you to be selfless rather than self-centered. We are more interested in you practicing personal forgiveness than political revenge."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Agents of legitimate governments serve those over whom they exercise power, not those who exercise power over them.
mbmb
sikeospi wrote:
We are more interested in you practicing personal forgiveness than political revenge."
… says man ridiculing the opposition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
sikeospi wrote:
We are more interested in you practicing personal forgiveness than political revenge."
… says man ridiculing the opposition?
TBH, I think he typically ridicules his own position. If I hadn't met him, I'd think that he is a liberal shill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |