Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
joshua shireman
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm newer to wargames, but have had an interest in Central Asian history, and started trying to find games in this area (for starters) around Genghis Khan time period. I haven't found a whole lot related to this aside from the following games:

Khan: The Rise of the Mongols - A magazine game, seems there is one copy available through BGG, but not sure how great it is.

Panic: War of the Khan Succession - This is a Chinese game, but may be a little too much trouble acquiring it & translating it.

(found a couple more)

Devil's Horsemen - This looks closer to something good.

Mongols: La Grande Chevauchée - French game, again may be too much trouble

Are there suggestions of games with the setting of central Asia in the period 1000 to 1400 CE or so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Rusch
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legion Wargames has The Great Game on pre-order. Not quite the game of the Mongol hoards, but it is set in 19th Century Central Asia. Checking on the pre-order status looks like this one might be getting ready to go into production. You can find more info at Legion Wargames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperor of the Steppes is an unusual little game produced by the Society of Ancients team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Capozzi
United States
Andover
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
“Here’s to long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer — and another one!”
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast about the Mongols. It got me searching for a game on the subject, with very little luck. I'm interested in the replies you get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
I don't know how hard it would be to find this one nowadays, but Simulations Canada published Scourge of God on the rise of the Mongols back in the early 80s. It covered not just Central Asia, but everything from Japan to Western Europe. Not much of a two-player game, but it was fun to play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_prussian wrote:
Legion Wargames has The Great Game on pre-order. Not quite the game of the Mongol hoards, but it is set in 19th Century Central Asia. Checking on the pre-order status looks like this one might be getting ready to go into production. You can find more info at Legion Wargames

Really looking Forward to that game. I have ordered this book:

http://www.bol.com/nl/p/the-great-game-the-struggle-for-empi...
have not read it yet but should be a great companion with The Great Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
kealist wrote:
I'm newer to wargames, but have had an interest in Central Asian history, and started trying to find games in this area (for starters) around Genghis Khan time period. I haven't found a whole lot related to this aside from the following games:

Khan: The Rise of the Mongols - A magazine game, seems there is one copy available through BGG, but not sure how great it is.

You probably saw my review for this: A Stab at a Grand Strategic Mongol Empire Game. Not bad, probably better as a solo game. If you have a serious interest in the period and like games at the strategic level, I think it's probably worth getting. But yeah, the ultimate strategic-level treatment of the Mongol conquests is still to be made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
the_prussian wrote:

I played an earlier prototype of this with the designer (and several times solitaire), and it's very interesting - I've got it pre-ordered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua shireman
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_prussian wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. It does look interesting even though it's a later period. I did pre-order (What? A pre-order that doesn't require paying something upfront!?).

I also picked up Devil's Horsemen through BGG marketplace last night.

wifwendell wrote:

You probably saw my review for this: A Stab at a Grand Strategic Mongol Empire Game. Not bad, probably better as a solo game. If you have a serious interest in the period and like games at the strategic level, I think it's probably worth getting. But yeah, the ultimate strategic-level treatment of the Mongol conquests is still to be made.

I hadn't seen your review but it is helpful. Once I see how these other two games work out, I may seek it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Romero
Spain
Cerdanyola
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Asia Crossroads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua shireman
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
romerj wrote:

Nice, that area is more of my interest than Mongols too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua shireman
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other games found through geeklisting:

The Golden Horde
Kulikovo 1380: The Golden Horde
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kealist wrote:
Other games found through geeklisting:

The Golden Horde
Kulikovo 1380: The Golden Horde

Kulikovo is a good one. It's based on the Men of Iron series, which is similar to Great Battles of History (of which Devil's Horseman is a part), but a little lighter and focused specifically on the Medieval period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a war game, but Pax Pamir focuses on the same material as the Great Game, mentioned above.

Quote:
In Pax Pamir, two to five players assume the role of Afghan tribal leaders navigating the winds of colonial power in "The Great Game". If either the Russian, British Empire, or Afghan is able to achieve supremacy, the player with the most influence in that empire wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua shireman
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have started a Central Asian Wargames Geeklist on this topic with games from this thread as well as others I find as time goes on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Rusch
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harae wrote:

Really looking Forward to that game. I have ordered this book:

http://www.bol.com/nl/p/the-great-game-the-struggle-for-empi...
have not read it yet but should be a great companion with The Great Game.

The Great Game is an outstanding book describing the strategic struggle of European countries in 19th Century Central Asia. Reading this will not only prep you for this game, but will give you a tremendous amount of context for the Soviet Union's 20th Century incursion into Afghanistan and the on-going conflict in this area of the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.