Subject: One easy win, and one tough win rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Mitchell
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Game 1: 4 player. Cardset is all onuv, no onuw.
I am marksman.
I see mark of love, but have no love interest.
I see card to my right... Assassin.
I see mark to my left ... Vampire
I now know near enough to everything everyone did, so at dawn tell everyone what they all did and we vote and team good wins!
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Obviously in play we have assassin, vampire or count, cupid and marksman to explain what I saw. Thus pickpocket, gremlin and other vampire are in the center.
Assassin to my right must have targeted my love interest... Unlikely themselves, almost certainly player opposite.
Vampire or count must be player opposite... Probably vampire.
Thus cupid is player to my left who targeted me and player opposite.

Game 2: 4 player, same set as above.
I am count.
I see player opposite as vampire.
I make player to my right as vampire, player to my left as fear.
I wake with mark of love.
My love interest is to my left.
Oops. The person we have to kill to win, we now can't kill! How can we win? Maybe a pickpocket or gremlin will help?
I keep thinking through all possibilities during the night.
Daytime...
Player to my left makes pronouncements basically proving to me they were marksman. They saw vampire and mark of vampire.
I panic. I now know what everyone was and what they did... But how do we as vampires win?
We have to circle vote! Not only do we need to circle vote, we can't let the marksman realize that we are trying to circle vote so we have to do it in secret without marksman realizing.
I announce my love interest. I see it gradually dawning on the face of the vampire who actually starts talking about a circle vote.
Player to my left isn't stupid and will clue in that that isn't a possible win condition for them. I'm forced to announce there are two on team good and two on team bad.
I ask left player which one she wants to vote for... She declares the one with the vampire token (my right).
Vampire now clues in to my strategy and asks player to my right (vampire token) who he will vote for (player to my left, marksman). All sorted we agree to vote (happily glossing over the question of what I was and what I did)
The two people who don't know exactly what is happening vote as planned to each other... While myself and player opposite vote for each other, with a smile.
Player to my left is highly confused. Player to my right actually had guessed what was going on.
A tough victory for team vampire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you win in game one? I don't see a situation, if the two vampires know they are on the same team, where they wouldn't vote together and thus win the game. You had to hold information back from them so they would split their votes between you and the assassin. Then you had to vote with the assassin to win. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Mitchell
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If votes are 2,2 then two die including a vampire so team village including me win, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to go back to the rules. Ok, I think you are right. I thought ties meant no one dies, which is why the circle vote works. But the rules say "In case of a tie, all players tied with the most votes die and reveal their cards." It's just weird to think if everyone dies then someone wins. I forgot the circle vote is a special case, not the ties. "If no player receives more than one vote, no one dies." I forgot the circle vote was one vote each person, not just all around tie.

However, I wouldn't be too hasty to assume in a 4 player game the assassin doesn't mark himself. Not a bad strategy since there is likely to be two vampires or more in a 4 player game. Get the vampires to vote for you and you win with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Mitchell
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agreed it may not be a bad strategy to self target in that situation... Indeed this game triggered us to reread the rules to determine who can and can't target themselves for exactly that reason. In the case of this game, because we hadn't discussed that legality, I was pretty confident they would not self target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. It's always interesting to see how other people think. Thanks for the session report.

Oddities like that in 4 player (2-2 tie) make it difficult for me to play these type of games with 4 player. I definitely think ONUV does it a little better than ONUW. I wonder if having a 4 player epic battle would work. I also wonder if something like One Night Revolution would work better as 4 player since it adds that extra bit of a role can do two different actions. I am debating about getting ONR but it is so close to what ONUV is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls