Popular Tags: [View All]
Cathy Calcan
Japan
Yokohama
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, this is my first post on BGG.
Please forgive me(and tell me) if I did anything wrong.

Question:
How many damage does the Forcefield card take,
when been hit by multiple "Damage on Fighter" effects in the same round?

I am playing Starfighter with my colleague, and we are really enjoying it.
But one day we ran into a problem.

It went something like this:
I had a sector full with fighters, about 7 of them visible.
He played a Forcefield with 2 fighters against my 7 fighter sector.
He also took the initiative pawn, so it was obvious that he'll align the Forcefield against my 7.
I wanted to get rid of that annoying Forcefield, but I didn't have the Destruction ability card. Argh.
But I found a "Damage on Fighter" and some Movement/Pivoting effects in my hand.
Since he has already passed, I played that DoF card and gave 1 hit to the Forcefield,
and a sequence of movement cards so that DoF icon be hidden once, and appears again,
to give another damage to the Forcefield and destroy it! Now 7 damage should directly go to...

Him "Hey wait, wait! The rule states that Forcefield only suffers a total of one point!
Doesn't that mean your second DoF be absorbed? Maybe until the end of this round?"

Well, my interpretation of the rules was, since it says "whenever a card suffers damage",
if the Forcefield takes damage multiple times(as the multiple DoF effect),
the "absorbs all but one" calculation happenes per each damaging effects,
so 1 point penetration happens per DoF, resulting multiple damage to the Forcefield.

But the rule says, the Forcefield "only suffers a total of one point".
Looking at the Shield rules, it says the Shield regenerates at the end of the round.
So his interpretation that "Forcefield absorbs all but one damage in a round" also made sense to me.

Same kind of thing might happen in the combat phase.
Say, resolution order was sectors A-B-C, and I had a Forcefield in A.
Resolving A, Forcefield absorbed all but one damage.
While resolving combat on sector B, Free Movement effect triggered, so I moved the Forcefield to sector C.
Now, does the Forcefield take another damage in C?

Could anyone please clarify?
Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calcan wrote:
But I found a "Damage on Fighter" and some Movement/Pivoting effects in my hand.
Since he has already passed, I played that DoF card and gave 1 hit to the Forcefield,
and a sequence of movement cards so that DoF icon be hidden once, and appears again,
to give another damage to the Forcefield and destroy it! Now 7 damage should directly go to...
that's a freakin' awesome play!

calcan wrote:

Well, my interpretation of the rules was, since it says "whenever a card suffers damage",
if the Forcefield takes damage multiple times(as the multiple DoF effect),
the "absorbs all but one" calculation happenes per each damaging effects,
so 1 point penetration happens per DoF, resulting multiple damage to the Forcefield.
it seems crystal clear to me that this is true

calcan wrote:

Looking at the Shield rules, it says the Shield regenerates at the end of the round.
that's mentioned at shields, and not force field, so it's irrelevant. shields and force fields just work differently. force field could not regenerate since no damage is put on them, but on the fighters on the card and it is nowhere mentioned that fighters with a force field would regenerate. even if they would, that doesn't mean they can't get hit more than once in a round

calcan wrote:
Same kind of thing might happen in the combat phase.
Say, resolution order was sectors A-B-C, and I had a Forcefield in A.
Resolving A, Forcefield absorbed all but one damage.
While resolving combat on sector B, Free Movement effect triggered, so I moved the Forcefield to sector C.
oh yeah, that would be an awesome combo! i love this game so much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Maillard
France
Flers
Orne
flag msg tools
badge
@Kubenboa
mbmbmbmbmb
You are completely right. Damage on Fighters hit one Fighter, and the second damage on fighter damage the other one, killing the card. That is the awesome power of those cards against force shield ! You played that game perfectly, your opponent could cry a little after that

Force shield does not regenerate (unless you rotate your card cleaning up the fighters), unlike shields (but shields are all around the card, so they can't be regenerate during the round, only at the end of a turn).

Love this game too, my favorite this year.
And, welcome on BGG !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cathy Calcan
Japan
Yokohama
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks all, I'm relieved to hear that my understandings were not wrong.

Maybe it felt a bit ambiguous to me because of two reasons:
* I'm not a native English speaker, my lack of English skills lead to misunderstandings
* Translated Japanese rules also felt ambiguous because of the nature of the Japanese language itself

wallwaster wrote:

that's mentioned at shields, and not force field, so it's irrelevant. shields and force fields just work differently. force field could not regenerate since no damage is put on them, but on the fighters on the card and it is nowhere mentioned that fighters with a force field would regenerate. even if they would, that doesn't mean they can't get hit more than once in a round
You must be right, Forcefield itself doesn't take damage, so it shouldn't have anything related to regeneration.
Thanks for pointing out.

FitzChevalery wrote:
You played that game perfectly, your opponent could cry a little after that
Haha, thanks.
Now I have to be aware of this trick myself so I won't be the one to cry

FitzChevalery wrote:
Force shield does not regenerate (unless you rotate your card cleaning up the fighters), unlike shields (but shields are all around the card, so they can't be regenerate during the round, only at the end of a turn).
That's another point that I have missed:
Shields do regenerate by the end of round, but can't be healed during the round by covering the damage tokens.

I really like this game too.
Every time I play, new elements and strategies unfold.
"Build up a sector to deploy a Level3 card, and use a Movement effect to open up the L3 area to deploy my next L3"
was my initial strategy.
But since when my opponent used his Lateral Movement effect on MY board to screw up my L3 deployment,
I realized the importance of using effects on the opponents side.
Then I read a post from Dylan stating "a good player uses his own Movement effect to cover up the opponents Draw2 icon", that was also a new idea for me.

The more plays, it gets more deeper.
Indeed a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Maillard
France
Flers
Orne
flag msg tools
badge
@Kubenboa
mbmbmbmbmb
calcan wrote:

I really like this game too.
Every time I play, new elements and strategies unfold.
"Build up a sector to deploy a Level3 card, and use a Movement effect to open up the L3 area to deploy my next L3"
was my initial strategy.
But since when my opponent used his Lateral Movement effect on MY board to screw up my L3 deployment,
I realized the importance of using effects on the opponents side.
Then I read a post from Dylan stating "a good player uses his own Movement effect to cover up the opponents Draw2 icon", that was also a new idea for me.

The more plays, it gets more deeper.
Indeed a great game.
I played lot of game against my wife (we are equal on the game, 49 Wins for me, 48 for her) and the most we play, the most effects are played on the opponent board. The first plays are a little confusing, we are focus on our personal board, but with many plays it's easy to learn that drawing is the game key, so if you can struggle your opponent, do it !!

And i saw your plays are around 40-60mn each, you and your opponent(s) are brainstorming a lot ! My plays are around 15-25mn each, i must be a crazy Starfighter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls