12 Posts

Evolution» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
If I want to increase the Population rating one one of my species, or create a new species,

-Is it true that I may only do so by discarding a Trait card that is placed on the table, or not?

-Can you you discard trait cards irrespective of whether the card has been turned face up yet, or is still face down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of games like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to increase Body Size, Population, or create a new species, you must discard a card from your hand. Discarding traits that are on the table gives you no benefit except that you can replace it with a different trait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Jones
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
In order to increase Body Size, Population, or create a new species, you must discard a card from your hand. Discarding traits that are on the table gives you no benefit except that you can replace it with a different trait.
This, exactly.

The sole purpose of discarding trait cards on the table is to remove that trait from the species (generally to make room for another trait).

To increase Population or Body Size, you must discard from your hand.

Depending on how strict the players at your table are, I suppose you could choose to discard a face-down trait you've played this turn to increase Body Size or Population instead -- you're effectively changing your mind and discarding that card for BS/P instead of playing it as a trait. Since it hasn't been turned face up yet, it hasn't come into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
-How does deploying Trait cards within a player's turn work? May one player only deploy one trait card? Or one new Trait card per species? Or as many trait cards as the maximum of 3 per species permits?

-Are players allowed to discard a trait from a species without immediately replacing that trait?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zachary1234 wrote:
-How does deploying Trait cards within a player's turn work? May one player only deploy one trait card? Or one new Trait card per species? Or as many trait cards as the maximum of 3 per species permits?
The last one you listed. You can play as many trait cards as you have in your hand up to the maximum of 3 traits per species or 2 maximum traits if you're playing a 2-player game.

Zachary1234 wrote:
-Are players allowed to discard a trait from a species without immediately replacing that trait?
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
2nd Edition Question.

Say, for example, I have a Flight creature which is a Carnivore and that it also has Nesting. It has population 2.

-The flight creature successfully eats 3 plant food from the watering hole to meet it's upkeep. Can it eat from the "two meat" that Nesting grants, without using Carnivore to attack and eat one from that, per each attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zachary1234 wrote:
2nd Edition Question.

Say, for example, I have a Flight creature which is a Carnivore and that it also has Nesting. It has population 2.

-The flight creature successfully eats 3 plant food from the watering hole to meet it's upkeep. Can it eat from the "two meat" that Nesting grants, without using Carnivore to attack and eat one from that, per each attack?
Carnivores can never eat plant food for any reason. They must gain meat food by either attacking or using cards that provide meat.

Nesting only triggers when your population increases, not for the existing population. The card is poorly worded, but you can find this ruling elsewhere on the forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Carnivores can never eat plant food for any reason. They must gain meat food by either attacking or using cards that provide meat.
-Does this mean that a carnivorous creature doing Flight must obtain the +3 upkeep via meat food as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zachary1234 wrote:
Quote:
-Does this mean that a carnivorous creature doing Flight must obtain the +3 upkeep via meat food as well?
Yep. That's one of the big challenges of the Carnivore Trait with the added challenge of the Flight trait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Jones
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here it would be helpful for your carnivorous flyer to have a creature to its left that has "Scavenger" and "Cooperation"

Every time the carnivore attacks and gains X meat food (based on body size of prey), the scavenger gains one meat food too... and then its cooperation gives one meat food to your carnivore. That way the carnivore gets an extra meat food every attack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
-Whenever I discard a card to do something, ie. increase the body size on some species by +1, must this be done from hand only, or may I count a trait that I am choosing to let "regress" by discarding it count as my discard card, both simultaneously?

-When I put a flight species into play, having discarded two cards from hand, does the flight trait start immediately active as drawn in the picture example for the flight rules, or in fact is the flight card face down, to be turned face up later?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zachary1234 wrote:
-Whenever I discard a card to do something, ie. increase the body size on some species by +1, must this be done from hand only, or may I count a trait that I am choosing to let "regress" by discarding it count as my discard card, both simultaneously?

-When I put a flight species into play, having discarded two cards from hand, does the flight trait start immediately active as drawn in the picture example for the flight rules, or in fact is the flight card face down, to be turned face up later?
1. It must be from your hand to gain a benefit.
2. There's no point in playing it face down, since it's a cardboard card, and the species board is totally different. It's not something you can hide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls