Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Level 11 BGG poster
My 4 player group finished the entire campaign after two months of weekly playing. We played chapters 1-7 plus 4.5 (from No Quarter magazine).

We found it to be a fun game. The mechanics of feat cards and abilities and dice work really well. The enemy AI is really nice, streamlining things while also making us unsure exactly what will activate or who they might target each turn.

The story itself I admit we didn't get into. The use of a page of story text at a time we simply skipped. Too much to read. We really get into the stories of Star Wars Imperial Assault. We realized that we like their method better because they have a short (paragraph or two) mission briefing and then introduce small pieces (sentence or two) when events happen during the missino, and then a final paragraph wrap up.

If I could change something about Undercity, one would be integrating the story more in bits and pieces rather than a huge story in large chunks, and perhaps even modifying the linear campaign so it had branches and we could actually affect it.

I have the same issue with their Unleashed Adventure Kit. It seems they like to write a story and have you follow it straight. Very little room for players to change the story direction. They are too bound into their story and don't create a game that the GM and players can build into THEIR story, IMHO. Undercity suffers from this as well, but it's less noticeable since it's a board game.

The side mission cards are a start at trying to do this sort of modification, but honestly they felt too little and too random and too often we didn't even get to them.

But overall, great adventuring system, great characters, good time! And best of all, we won! In fact, chapter 7 seemed fairly easy with all our buffed characters. The hardest chapter was 5.

Looking forward to playing more in this series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
Microbadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom fan
What I think would be an excellent addition to this series would be a random mission generator, or, as you note, more variability to each quest. We're about halfway through, and it feels like it will be "done" once we've finished: very limited replayability. When your group finished, did you feel the same? Or did you think you could dive into it again and play it over?

I'd also absolutely love to see a skirmish/ vs. type system. A simplified version of their massively complex and intricate WarMachine tabletop game would be most welcome. I bought Imperial Assault for the Skirmish mode, and was rather unimpressed by it. This game seems much more suited to it (as one might guess, since it's based on their successful tabletop wargame)

Thanks for writing this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Level 11 BGG poster
mattprice wrote:
...it feels like it will be "done" once we've finished: very limited replayability. When your group finished, did you feel the same? Or did you think you could dive into it again and play it over?
Yes. No real replay ability. I think that's because of both the missions/campaign are set so it would be the same adventure and there are only 4 heroes and we played them all many times so there's no new heroes to experience and develop.

If future expansions/games add new heroes, it might be worth redoing the campaign. And if these heroes can go into new missions, that would see them come back out of the box too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls