Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: How do Nemesis encounters work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brooklynn Lundberg
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook says that story events will bring nemesis encounters. However, the first nemesis encounter on the timeline doesn't have any information on how to initiate this encounter or if there is any story event involved.

How do Nemesis encounters work? In particular the butcher. Can i just select him as an encounter instead of a hunt?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott YahNotHappening
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
When it's time to hunt, you instead flip to the page titles "Showdown : The Butcher" and skip the hunt phase.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brooklynn Lundberg
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unkynd wrote:
When it's time to hunt, you instead flip to the page titles "Showdown : The Butcher" and skip the hunt phase.
Thanks for the reply. Is there anywhere in the rulebook you could point me too that states that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
look at the settlement lantern years sheet and you see the butcher at around year 4, he has a book icon next to his name this indicates to go to the story page for the butcher. Looking in the book you will find encounters for each of the creatures, winning and losing effects as well as rewards are listed here and are a crucial part of the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
look at the settlement lantern years sheet and you see the butcher at around year 4, he has a book icon next to his name this indicates to go to the story page for the butcher.
It's not a story icon, it's the "crossed swords" nemesis monster icon, referring to the rules below.

OGniku wrote:
Unkynd wrote:
When it's time to hunt, you instead flip to the page titles "Showdown : The Butcher" and skip the hunt phase.
Thanks for the reply. Is there anywhere in the rulebook you could point me too that states that?
Page 83.

Quote:
Complete the settlement phase normally. Departing survivors skip the next hunt phase and consult the story event for the nemesis monster to setup the showdown phase.
Then the rest of the nemesis rules basically translate the rest of the timeline into the following:

Year 4: Butcher Lv. 1
Year 9: King's Man Lv. 1
Years 16 & 19: Nemesis of your choice. As per the showdown's rules, facing a nemesis that you've already previously faced means you will be facing the next level version of it.
Year 23: Nemesis of your choice. You face it specifically at Lvl. 3 no matter what, even if you haven't faced its Lvl. 2 version, and even if you've faced its Lvl 3. version before.
Year 25: Watcher

But that's just translating what the timeline says as is. Game effects can change things up.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bob
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
poeticallybored wrote:


Then the rest of the nemesis rules basically translate the rest of the timeline into the following:

Year 4: Butcher Lv. 1
Year 9: King's Man Lv. 1
Years 16 & 19: Nemesis of your choice. As per the showdown's rules, facing a nemesis that you've already previously faced means you will be facing the next level version of it.
Year 23: Nemesis of your choice. You face it specifically at Lvl. 3 no matter what, even if you haven't faced its Lvl. 2 version, and even if you've faced its Lvl 3. version before.
Year 25: Watcher

But that's just translating what the timeline says as is. Game effects can change things up.
Wouldnt the LY 9 King's Man have a chance of being lvl 2, if you resisted during Armored Strangers?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Like I said, game effects can change things up. Printed as is, he'll be Lvl. 1 in Year 9.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls