Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Microbadge: I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...Microbadge: Jack in the Box fanMicrobadge: JugglerMicrobadge: This is a mooseover.Microbadge: Panda Express lover
Looking for a card game for my wife and I'm leaning towards a deck builder. Here's the situation. My wife likes card games but I've had difficulties finding ones that she enjoys. Mostly at this point we've played games like Jambo which are more fillers and I want something with a bit more meat.

A few years ago I tried Dominion. Let me just say I'd rather sit and watch paint dry than play Dominion again. 4 player solitaire. No player interaction. Played it twice will never play it again.

You'd think at that point I'd be done with deck builders but a few years ago I took a leap of faith a tried Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game. I loved it. I even have Villains and Encounters now. It's rapidly crawled up my top 10 list. As you would expect I got my wife to try it. She liked it. Sort of. She liked the mechanics and everything but a superhero theme just isn't her shtick.

So that's where we stand now. I'm looking for a deck builder with a reasonable amount of player interaction to the level at least of Legendary. No sci fi theme or superhero theme. I'm thinking Thunderstone might be what I'm looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
I'm thinking Thunderstone might be what I'm looking for.
It is not. That game (the base set at least) is more multiplayer solitaire than Dominion, the player interaction is practically non-existant.

Maybe take a look at Nightfall. I don't really like the game, but then I am a huge fan of Dominion, so maybe you will like Nightfall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Wright
Australia
flag msg tools
Deckbuilders are my GF and I favorite. Dominion is probably our most played deck builder. We also have the Lord of the Rings DBG (All 3 sets) which is one of our favorites and very similar mechanics to Dominion except that the cards available for purchase constantly changes and there are archenemies that must be defeated to win the game.

Another game would be Ascension which is similar to LOTR DBG. Except the game ends when the VP pool reaches 0 but the great thing about this game are the different factions that these cards can be from and the combos you can make. My GF and i play this very regularly on the Ipad. If you want to check out how Ascension plays the base game is free to purchase and there are lots of expansion packs available.

Hope it helps give you some ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark downie
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love Shadowrun: Crossfire. It is co-op and has a fair amount of player interaction. It also has a reputation of being quite difficult. An expansion is just around the corner so now looks like a good time to get onboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Rune Age - different scenarios, from co-op to "last man standing"; you can choose what kind of interaction you like most.
Very simple game; less about building an engine than at attacking at the right time (or keeping resources...)

Two deckbuilders about bidding and bluffing (somewhat):
Arcana
Fzzzt!
Not much engine building.

If you want engine building with interaction, I think Nightfall is a good suggestion. (Never played - want to play )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
No sci fi theme or superhero theme.
Oh, dear. I guess, that eliminates all of my suggestions
mrbeankc wrote:
I'm thinking Thunderstone might be what I'm looking for.
I enjoy Thunderstone a lot, but it's definitely _not_ what you're looking for. With a few exceptions (depending on the cards used for the setup), there's zero player interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a shame about Dominion, do you realise there are different kingdom cards that allow attack and defence play?

As for alternatives, you could look at Trains, which is essentially Dominion, but adds a map for territory control, get the standalone expansion Trains: Rising Sun if you want the attack/defence option, Ticket to Ride style route building and tighter, two-player maps.

Arctic Scavengers has direct conflict between players at the end of a round which requires them to reserve cards (or not, depending on your strategy) for a fight over limited, "contested resources" in a post-apocalyptic, nuclear winter setting. Edit: oops, missed your "no sci-fi" criterion the first time around, does science-fantasy count...

+1 for Shadowrun: Crossfire, a game where you must work together or your team will fail; however, the game is so brutal you'll probably fail anyway. It also features persistence, so characters can develop over a series of games.

For other alternatives (i.e. card games, but not deck-building), consider trick taking in Diamonds, co-operatives Hanabi (building a firework display, where you can't see the cards in your hand, only those in others) and The Grizzled (survive the trenches in WWI), or city building in Citadels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...Microbadge: Jack in the Box fanMicrobadge: JugglerMicrobadge: This is a mooseover.Microbadge: Panda Express lover
Wife enjoys Citadels and I own it but it's not a great 2 player game.

One of the reasons I like Legendary is the depth. No two games are even closely alike. My wife likes that aspect and the co-op aspect of it as well. A fantasy version of that would be spot on.

I'm reading reviews now on Ascension: Deckbuilding Game to see if that's what I'm looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
I'm reading reviews now on Ascension: Deckbuilding Game to see if that's what I'm looking for.
You'll "get" this straight away because Legendary and it both play very similarly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandro Eifert
Germany
Leimen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to throw in two additions.

Fantastiqa: The Rucksack Edition

Players travel to various locations to defeat monsters. Monsters are defeated by pulling the right symbols out of your deck. Defeated monsters go into your deck providing more and better symbol combinations.
There is not much engine your looking for in your deck, but rather the the right number of symbols. Thinning is quite important.
The game has a good amount of interactions as you strife to defeat the same monsters, complete the same quests or stick tea drinking dragons into your opponents deck.

Cthulhu Realms

Light-hearted deckbuilder with a Cthulhu theme. You're gathering Lovecraftian Gods, mad people and "things" to drop your opponents sanity to 0. As you're playing directly against each other the game provide direct player interaction. It also has a very small footprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Many people prefer it 2-player as it's quicker. I think it's best with 2, 4 or 5 players (assuming the players are fairly quick).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Like I said, I own Citadels and don't care for it 2 players.

I looked at Ascension and again there is little interaction.

Checking out Nightfall next. Wife would like the horror theme which is funny because she HATES it when I watch either Z Nation or The Walking Dead when she's in the room. She's also not big on Lovecraft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try out CapCom Street Fighter Deck-Building Game then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a ton of deck builders and Valley of the Kings has been a hit with all of my groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
samuraisoul77 wrote:
I play a ton of deck builders and Valley of the Kings has been a hit with all of my groups.
My wife has a lifetime interest in Egyptology. This is friggin perfect!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:
Many people prefer it 2-player as it's quicker. I think it's best with 2, 4 or 5 players (assuming the players are fairly quick).
Many other people find it to be a terrible game with 2 as you have too much information. It is more like Voltron, the more you stack on the better it gets. Also is not a deckbuilder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Few Acres of Snow

You'll probably need to run it past your wife to see if she'd be interested, but this is probably the best deckbuilder I've played. It has a slightly less serious sibling in the form of Mythotopia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I don't need to run it past my wife. She'd take one look at that, say "wargame" and that would be the end of that. It's a game I'd love to give a try myself at some point and if it were for me and a friend it would be a good suggestion but I know darn well it's not for her.

I ordered Valley of the Kings by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Curnalia
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Be yourself, unless you can be Batman...then be Batman.
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms is a great little deck-builder, especially if you mainly play games as a couple.

Paperback is another great deck-builder, combining the mechanic with Scrabble style word play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game that's getting a lot of love at the moment, but I can't personally attest to, is Baseball Highlights: 2045.

She might look at it and go "Sports, nope", but I'm even tempted by it and I hate sports in general, let alone having a specific interest in Baseball.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars - AthensMicrobadge: Empire of the Sun fanMicrobadge: For the People fanMicrobadge: I read the Babylon Bee!Microbadge: South Carolina
Arctic Scavengers for player interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you like it. Its a lot of game at that price point. There is an expansion for it too that adds twice as many cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Looking for a card game for my wife and I'm leaning towards a deck builder. Here's the situation. My wife likes card games but I've had difficulties finding ones that she enjoys. Mostly at this point we've played games like Jambo which are more fillers and I want something with a bit more meat.

A few years ago I tried Dominion. Let me just say I'd rather sit and watch paint dry than play Dominion again. 4 player solitaire. No player interaction. Played it twice will never play it again.
Your problem is that you were playing with 4 players. Dominion is best with 2 or 3, any more and there's too much down time.

Quote:
You'd think at that point I'd be done with deck builders but a few years ago I took a leap of faith a tried Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game. I loved it. I even have Villains and Encounters now. It's rapidly crawled up my top 10 list. As you would expect I got my wife to try it. She liked it. Sort of. She liked the mechanics and everything but a superhero theme just isn't her shtick.

So that's where we stand now. I'm looking for a deck builder with a reasonable amount of player interaction to the level at least of Legendary. No sci fi theme or superhero theme. I'm thinking Thunderstone might be what I'm looking for.
Maybe one of these would be right for you and your wife:
Eminent Domain (very little down time because every player has a chance to play each turn, not just on their turn. It's a space theme, but not superheroes).
Resident Evil Deck Building Game (if you can find a copy, shouldn't be too hard, but it's OOP. This one is like Dominion, only it has a theme, and a cool monster-fighting mechanic. The theme is horror, so I dunno if your wife would like that better.)
+1 Valley of the Kings (Egyptian Archaeology theme. Very cool pyramid mechanic and a fun game. Not a ton of interaction, but still fun.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
Your problem is that you were playing with 4 players. Dominion is best with 2 or 3, any more and there's too much down time.
That very much depends on the group, I've played four player Dominion where turns are so fast it's been almost my turn again before I've had a chance to sort my hand. Granted, some players grind out deck emptying turns, but they will ruin a two player game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Code MonkeyMicrobadge: GMT fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: City of Heroes fanMicrobadge: I Love Gaming with My GirlFriend!!!
Scooperman wrote:
As for alternatives, you could look at Trains, which is essentially Dominion, but adds a map for territory control, get the standalone expansion Trains: Rising Sun if you want the attack/defence option, Ticket to Ride style route building and tighter, two-player maps.
+1. If you play 2-player only, grab Rising Sun first as that has the 2-player maps. I rank it highest for a deck builder, and any others have sci-fi themes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |