Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Art Bennett
United States
Columbia Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul and I continue our journey thru time and continents.

We started in the steamy jungles of 20th century SE Asia, then moved to the forests and hills of ancient Gaul - next stop the New World and Colonial America.

We will be playing the Medium Duration 1776 Scenario using a period based card deck. It's Paul's turn to get red - so he is the British Empire. I will be the Patriot's and the bots will run our allies - the French and Indians.

We will be using Joel Toppen's beautiful draft production VASSAL module - see an overview of the map and initial setup below.

The first cards are drawn and the game kicks off with the Brits starting w/Battle of Moores's Creek - not an ideal start for the forces of Liberty but there is a long war ahead…

Belated Semper Fi!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drooling. Literally!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
acb3 wrote:
We will be playing the Medium Duration 1776 Scenario using a period based card deck. It's Paul's turn to get red - so he is the British Empire. I will be the Patriot's and the bots will run our allies - the French and Indians.

The first cards are drawn and the game kicks off with the Brits starting w/Battle of Moores's Creek - not an ideal start for the forces of Liberty but there is a long war ahead…
Thanks to Paul and Art for continuing their COIN tour through the America Station! I will be around for rules interpretation, moral support and harassment in the face of hind site.

Lets see if they fall into the trap of ignoring the bot play until it is too late. Lets hope they don't lose to a flow chart! Albeit the work of the mighty and mysterious Oerjan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bennett
United States
Columbia Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In Vietnam we were both beaten by the ARVN Bot and learned the hard way to always watch the man behind the curtain (Oerjan).

In Gaul the Belgae bot was roaring at the end but Paul threw his Averni at them allowing me to sprint by (barely) for the win.

I have a feeling this go around Paul will be on the warpath - against me and the bots. I will provide comic relief and fodder for Harold with my game play since Paul and the bots are more experienced than me.

That being said - give us your best shot Mr. Redcoat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beat Darwin
msg tools
Microbadge: Liberty or Death: The American InsurrectionMicrobadge: Battles of the American Revolution series fanMicrobadge: Art loverMicrobadge: Undaunted: Normandy fanMicrobadge: Unhappy King Charles! fan
Harold, Joel, GMT,

Will there be a way to purchase a purely digital version of this intriguing and stupendously beautiful game, in the form of the VASSAL mod mentioned above? I don't want it as atoms, only bits. Thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Vassal module that you will see in action here will be available free, I'm almost certain. The only atoms that you would need would be the charts and rules -- and a lot of that typically gets posted on line too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
acb3 wrote:

In Vietnam we were both beaten by the ARVN Bot and learned the hard way to always watch the man behind the curtain (Oerjan).

In Gaul the Belgae bot was roaring at the end but Paul threw his Averni at them allowing me to sprint by (barely) for the win.

I have a feeling this go around Paul will be on the warpath - against me and the bots. I will provide comic relief and fodder for Harold with my game play since Paul and the bots are more experienced than me.

That being said - give us your best shot Mr. Redcoat!
Art versus Paul versus Oerjan versus Oerjan -- this is gonna be fun....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nah, not me. Just my children

/Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm lust blown away by how good this game looks. I wish there was a French and Indian war game with a map this nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dobbins
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, the party has started without me! Here is the opening turn for dear red, the British. Moore's Creek Bridge is not a particularly powerful red event on 1st turn, since blue militia are few and far between, but it could flip 1 area to red control, such as SC, Philadelphia, or Georgia
It would be a good value as a 2nd faction event, but too expensive for the first up red in this scenario. It is a good play for blue, so watch out my Britties.

I like the idea of grabbing Boston or Philly, so we'll go Command and Special Ability (hereafter Cmd + SA). Red has to accomplish a lot and RPs are few. So I'll start with a SA -- Naval Pressure. Before the Treaty of Alliance (TOA) French "Brilliant Stroke" card is played, Naval Pressure raises 1 d3 worth of RPs for red. After TOA, Naval Pressure is critical for combating French Naval Intervention (FNI) and French blockades of ports.

So red rolls a 2 on a d3 for 2 RPs, not bad. RPs can be hard to come by in this game for red. But if you have them, by all means spend them for effect.

Command Muster!

There are only 7 red Regulars available, but 10 Tories as well are in the Force pool. Red uses Muster to multitask, as British Regulars (BR) may be moved from the Force pool to << 1 >> selected port or adjacent area, and Tories(T) may be raised in areas with or adjacent to BRs. After BRs and Ts are placed, red may select << 1 >> area to EITHER (i)swap 3xBR for a Fort, OR (ii) Reward Loyalty by buying support at 1RP per level, no limit.

Boston is currently unoccupied and is at Passive Opposition(PO). So red Muster sends 6BRs and 1T to Boston. If an area is neutral or at Support, 2Ts may be placed there. This becomes 1 if there is Passive Opposition, and ZERO at Active Opposition (AO).

Any T is potentially a Trojan Horse under the current Moore's Creek event, and blue can opt for the event as the 2nd faction. So British Musters will stop at shipping troops -- 6BR-- to Boston and raising 1T there. Boston is transformed from PO to Active Support (AS) by the expenditure of 3RPs on Reward Loyalty.

To summarize, Naval Pressure for 1d3=2 RPs, then 1 Muster to place 6 BRs and 1T total in Boston and push Boston to Active Support via 3 Reward Loayalties @ 1RP each. Net RPs 5(starting value)+2(Naval Pressure 1d3)= 7 less 1 (Muster) less 3 (Reward Loyalty) for a net 3RPs at the end of the red play.

Over to blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bennett
United States
Columbia Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boston falls and the Patriots there go underground as the rest of the city's population supports the Royalists - at gunpoint…

My choices are play the event or a Limited Command. The Event converts each Tory in a single space into 2 Militia. So if there is a space with a number of Tory's that would be a prime candidate. And the winner is - New York colony with 3 Tories. The space also has the Continental Army with Washington so this creates a flexible weapon - and switches control to the Patriots. Even a newb can see this is the correct play

Next the card draw

That looks promising.

And next up are Oerjan's mini-me bots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bennett
United States
Columbia Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And now it's time to enter the world of the bots.

French bot first considers if it plays the event - triggered before the Alliance if:

• Support exceeds Opposition, and the Event will shift Opposition and/or Support in favor of the Rebellion side
(including by increasing FNI and placing a Blockade to reduce Support).
Almost (FNI Increases) but no blockades before the alliance so it fails to trigger
• The Event moves French Regulars or Squadrons from Unavailable.
No
• The Event places Available French pieces on the map.
No
• The Event inflicts British Casualties
No
• The Event adds French Resources.
No (increases Patriot resources)
• The Treaty of Alliance has been played, the Event is Effective (8.3.3), and a D6 rolls “5” or higher.
No

I will be corrected if wrong though…

So the French do a Cmd + SA.
Before the Treaty the French roll a d3 and if greater than Patriot Resources they execute Roderigue Hortalez et Cie (??) to transfer resources to the Patriots covertly.
2 Patriot RPs currently - the roll is 3 so the French execute the command to add Patriot Resources
The French roll a d3 again - a 1 so 1RP Cost. This gives the Patriots 1RP + 1 more RP - so French RPs are reduced 1RP to 4RPs and Patriot resources are increased 2RPs to 4RPs.

Next the Special Action - Prepare for War (Preparer la Guerre)
Move 1 French Blockade/Squadron from unavailable to the West Indies if available, else move 3 French regulars.
There is 1 French Squadron in unavailable so it goes to the West Indies. The French Fleet is in place, next to deploy will be the French Army.

Indian-bot up next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
acb3 wrote:
I will be corrected if wrong though…
Looks good to me

/Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bertucelli
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going to be good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bennett
United States
Columbia Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Indian bot first considers the Event since it is a possible option:
The Event would add +3RPs for Brits and lowered FNI 2 - but FNI already at lowest level…

• Opposition exceeds Support, and the Event will shift Opposition and/or Support in favor of the Royalist side
(including by reducing FNI).
No - Support exceeds opposition
• The Event places at least one Indian Village or grants a free Gather. (If so, place the Village in a space that already has
War Parties if possible.)
No
• The Event removes a Patriot Fort.
No
• There are at least four Indian Villages on the map, the Event is Effective (8.3.3), and a D6 rolls five or higher.
No
No Event

Next, the Indian if a player could only do a limited Command - but the bots always get a full Cmd + SA to even out the game. So the bot Cmd/SA instructions are followed.

Select Raid if Support plus 1D6 does not exceed Opposition. Support is 5 and Opposition is 4 - no need to roll, the Raid Command is not triggered.

Next up is Gather:
If the Indians did not select Raid, and Gather would place two or more Villages or a D6 roll is less than the
number of War Parties Available, or if the Indians selected a Raid or March Command but were unable to execute it, Gather (3.4.1) in up to four spaces
Currently there are 7 available War Parties - so no need to roll a D6 it will be less than 7 so Gather triggers.
- Place a village in spaces where at least 3 War Parties - no spaces have 3 War Parties
- Place War Parties at villages where enemy pieces, then no underground WPs, then w/Leader, then random.

The problem is the Indians have 0 RPs (Gather normally costs 1RP per space) but they get a free Gather at the first Indian Province - in this case Quebec is an Indian Province and enemy pieces so that's where the War Party goes. And that’s all since there are 0RPs.

Next the SA is War Path but if no RPs then Trade. So the Indians Trade in the space with the most Underground War Parties - Quebec again.
The British now decide how many if any resources to give the Indians - else 1 War Party reveals for 1 RP.

Standing by for any bot errors, else…
Paul you have 4 RPs - going to share any with your Indian Allies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Now we will see an early sign of how much the Crown will seek to leverage Native grievances or simply go its own direct route ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A couple of notes:

acb3 wrote:
The Indian bot first considers the Event since it is a possible option:
The Event would add +3RPs for Brits and lowered FNI 2 - but FNI already at lowest level…
...and as you noted for FrenchBot above, the Treaty of Alliance hasn't been played so FNI can't shift yet.

Quote:
Next the SA is War Path but if no RPs then Trade. So the Indians Trade in the space with the most Underground War Parties - Quebec again.
The British now decide how many if any resources to give the Indians - else 1 War Party reveals for 1 RP.
Note that the War Party still needs to Activate if the British give them Resources (4.4.1).

/Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
acb3 wrote:

- Place War Parties at villages where enemy pieces, then no underground WPs, then w/Leader, then random.
Since there is a village in the Space, the Indians may place 1 WP for the Village +1 more. Thus, I believe the bot would place 2 WPs in Quebec Province?

Interesting to note that the game does not allow for free form Resources slinging. The British may share with the Indians only under the Trade SA. The French may share with the Patriots through the Rodrigue Hortalez et Cie Command. Resources may not trade at any other time nor in any other direction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Doh! Yes, of course it places 2 WPs in Quebec. I was too tired to remember that the Indians start the 1776 scenario with Villages...

/Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dobbins
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red will trade 1 RP with the Indians! On second thought, it makes no difference if the Brits are only trading 1 RP, so Brits do not trade. Thus, one Indian tribe activates and generates 1 RP. Had the Brits traded 1 RP, the tribe would have activated anyway, and the British/Indian Loyalists would have had a net(-1) RPs -- literally robbing Peter to pay Paul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dobbins
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
End of card play. Drawing the next card. Stockbridge Indians! But Patriots up next on Morgan's Rifles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bennett
United States
Columbia Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the Crown holds off on sharing with their Indian allies and leaves them a miserly 1RP from local Royalists. Too bad the bot has no memory of the Crown's lack of support…

Next up the Patriots with Morgan's Rifles - free march to 1 Colony, free battle, then free partisan action. Who could pass that up?

Now what colony should I do all this cool stuff? New York is the obvious choice - 3 redcoats and some Indians vs Washington and the Colonial Army. Always best to battle parts of your enemy's army with all of yours. I will march the exposed Continental in New York City and the forces in Massachusetts to concentrate with Washington in New York to "ensure" a battle victory and then be strong enough to fend off any Redcoats that may go after them later. A bit risky concentrating like this but my excuse if it goes wrong will be to blame Benedict…

Part of Patriot March is for every 2 Continentals in the destination reveal 1 Indian War Party. 5 Continentals reveal both War Parties in New York - this will help in the upcoming Battle.

Now for the Battle - hopefully I will get this right.

First calculate Attacker/Defender Force Levels.

The Attackers/me have 5 Continentals (each count as 1) and then could choose to Activate 6 of the 7 Militia for 6/2=3 more for a total max force level of 8. Since my force level will be divided by 3 rounded down later for losses I only need a force level of 6 to get 2 1d3. So I only activate 2 Militia keeping the rest underground. Keeping at least 1 Militia underground gives me a +1 loss level later also.

The Defenders have 3 Redcoats and 2 ALREADY revealed War Parties for 2/2=1 and a total force level of 4. Since both War Parties are revealed they don't get the +1 loss level later. The March flushed them out.

Next roll and calculate losses.

Each side gets Force Level/3 rounded down 1d3 dice rolls.
Patriots 6/3 = 2 1d3
Royalists 4/3 = 1 1d3

To these rolls will be added loss level modifiers. Here are the ones that apply for this battle:
Attacker
+1 for at least half of attackers regulars (5 continentals/2 militia)
+1 for at least 1 attacking piece underground (5 underground militia)
+1 for at least 1 attacking leader (Washington)
So I will inflict 2d3 +3 losses on the Royalists

CORRECTiON2 - Continentals are not considered regulars and all forces active and underground are considered in the 1/2 calculation. So only 2d3 +2 loss level but in the end the result is still the same removing all 3 Redcoats.

Defender
+1 for at least half defenders regulars (3 Redcoats/2 Indians)
+1 for at least 1 defending leader (Brant)
So the Royalists/Paul will inflict 1d3 +2 losses on the Patriots

My roll is 2 +3 = 5 losses inflicted
Royalist roll is 1 + 2 = 3 losses inflicted

CORRECTION - only rolled 1d3 for attacker losses inflicted instead of 2d3. So let's assume I rolled a 1 giving a loss level of 6 resulting in the same outcome.

Next the attacker takes his losses.
Each regular counts as 2 losses and done in following order - French Reg/Continental/Militia
So I lose 1 Continental and 1 Militia to satisfy 3 losses

Next Defender/Royalist
Each Regular counts as 2 and must alternate between redcoats and tories. Only after all of these are gone are Indians removed. Also must remove loss level or more - so 3 redcoats need to be removed to match loss level 5 or more.

The Continental and Redcoats go to the casualties box and will increase their sides respective combined casualties values - +1 Rebellion/+3 British. This ties both sides at 4 combined casualties - this affects French intervention and victory.

Next up is the Win the Day determination. If one side loses more pieces (3 Brits vs 2 Patriots) they are the losers if also one of the losses is a cube/fort - there are more conditions in the rules but these are the ones that apply here. So the Patriots Win the Day and it means shifting support in the battle location by 'loser losses'/2 rounded down - so 3/2 = 1 shift to Passive Opposition in New York.

Also if the Patriots win the day they can do a free Rally in one eligible space. Lots of choices - and probably the wrong one - but I choose New York and go for the 2 Militia removed to place a Fort.

Finally if a Rally space has a Fort the Patriots can replace 1 Militia with a Continental - that's what I will also do in New York

End of the Battle and the smoke clears:

But wait, there's more!

The Event ends with a Partisan Action in the selected Province.
If I activate 2 Militia and remove 1 I can then remove 2 Royalist pieces. And there are still 2 War Parties in New York - sounds like it's time to finish what the battle didn't.

Leaders don't die - they just relocate to other friendly forces - players choice.
So Paul will start his British play with relocating Brant.

While my choices may not have been the smartest play - it did illustrate a lot of rules…

Standing by for review for errors and then the swift Royalist response to their stinging defeat at the hands of the upstart colonists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
It doesn't matter in this instance, but I don't think Continentals count as Regulars for +1 Loss Level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Correct, Continentals are not Regulars so the Royalist Loss Level was 5 rather than 6. They still lose all 3 redcoats though.

/Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Always best to battle parts of your enemy's army with all of yours. I will march the exposed Continental in New York City and the forces in Massachusetts to concentrate with Washington in New York to "ensure" a battle victory and then be strong enough to fend off any Redcoats that may go after them later. A bit risky concentrating like this but my excuse if it goes wrong will be to blame Benedict…
Nice to see aspects of the concentrate-versus-spread dilemma emerge already. vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] |