Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Cruz has a Perry moment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From the NYT:

Quote:
It must be Texas.

It was almost exactly four years ago when Gov. Rick Perry of Texas flamed out during a Republican debate when he proudly proclaimed he had specific federal departments he would eliminate — then forgot which ones they were, even as Ron Paul tried to jog his memory.

"Oops," he famously said — and never recovered.

Perhaps tempting the fates or forgetting the Alamo, Senator Ted Cruz of Texas defended his tax-cutting plan on Tuesday night by saying that he would also cut spending drastically, with $500 billion in specific cuts.

"Five major agencies that I would eliminate: the I.R.S., Department of Commerce, the Department of Energy, uh, the Department of Commerce and HUD."

Well, the Department of Commerce has been in the cross hairs since Gov. John Kasich of Ohio was the House Budget Committee chairman in the 1990s. Maybe it is worth cutting twice.


It wasn't near as bad or hilarious as Perry. And had Perry not done the same, it would likely not even be funny. But what is it with these Texas guys and not remembering the Federal agencies they want to cut?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
reducing the deficit by cutting the department of commerce is just smart politics imo
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As well as the IRS, we don't need to collect tax dollars.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At least he made it all the way to five and didn't stop at 4 like a moron. And to be fair, he didn't specify that he would list 5 unique items, did he?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's kind of silly that we prioritize people who can memorize their talking points rather than people who can think on their feet and respond intelligently after having a momentary recall error.

Now, Perry wasn't either of those things... and I'd have to see Cruz's thing to judge. Is there a link?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you can't remember the federal agencies you want to cut, don't stress 'specificity' and try to number them off.

He did a good job covering the gaff, unlike Perry:

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One day soon, Texas will produce a presidential candidate that can both speak and count to at least 5.

Edit: I think we can still claim LBJ actually...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cruz also wants to go back to the gold standard. Idiot.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
I think it's kind of silly that we prioritize people who can memorize their talking points rather than people who can think on their feet and respond intelligently after having a momentary recall error.

Now, Perry wasn't either of those things... and I'd have to see Cruz's thing to judge. Is there a link?


I had plenty of reasons to dislike Rick Perry - a brain fart at a bad time is NOT one of them. Same with Cruz.

I expect the criticism of ANY candidate who says "I will do X things" and then can't count up to X would be similar. Not fair, I agree.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

I had plenty of reasons to dislike Rick Perry - a brain fart at a bad time is NOT one of them. Same with Cruz.

I expect the criticism of ANY candidate who says "I will do X things" and then can't count up to X would be similar. Not fair, I agree.


Well, it may be an isolated incident or it may be an indicative of a tendency to fart under pressure. A President is going to have much worse moments then a Debate, moments where farts can kill many people.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
I think it's kind of silly that we prioritize people who can memorize their talking points rather than people who can think on their feet and respond intelligently after having a momentary recall error.


I think just the opposite, if you feel strongly about Government waste you should be able to easily recall what parts of the Government are actually wasteful. We're talking about millions and billions of dollars that the candidate thinks don't need to be spent. This isn't a question of whether you should stop buying latte's at Starbucks or not. So forgetting "details" like this proves they are meaningless talking points. Someone who can passionately explain how an agency hurts the country by existing is someone who actually is behind the issue. I think these gaffes aren't as important because of a memory flub, but because they show these people are just parroting what they think a particular demographic wants to hear with no intention of doing anything about it.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

I had plenty of reasons to dislike Rick Perry - a brain fart at a bad time is NOT one of them. Same with Cruz.

I expect the criticism of ANY candidate who says "I will do X things" and then can't count up to X would be similar. Not fair, I agree.


Well, it may be an isolated incident or it may be an indicative of a tendency to fart under pressure. A President is going to have much worse moments then a Debate, moments where farts can kill many people.


True - but in most situations, a President can turn to an aide and say "Hey Smith, what was that other thing I can't remember?"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

I had plenty of reasons to dislike Rick Perry - a brain fart at a bad time is NOT one of them. Same with Cruz.

I expect the criticism of ANY candidate who says "I will do X things" and then can't count up to X would be similar. Not fair, I agree.


Well, it may be an isolated incident or it may be an indicative of a tendency to fart under pressure. A President is going to have much worse moments then a Debate, moments where farts can kill many people.


True - but in most situations, a President can turn to an aide and say "Hey Smith, what was that other thing I can't remember?"


In any case, the real truth is the president doesn't have the power to eliminate any of those agencies anyway, all he can do is sign or veto the bills which are created by Congress.

Also on Cruz listing the Department of Commerce twice, i think that is somewhat fair because he really hates it. I'm not sure what it has done to him, but I strongly suspect it touched him in inappropriate places when he was a child.

That said, the utter stupidity of making a claim that he wants to eliminate the IRS just boggles the mind. How can anyone take a candidate seriously when they say something like that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't the Excutive Branch staff those agencies?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Doesn't the Excutive Branch staff those agencies?


The president nominates members to the cabinet and then the cabinet members hire the people that work for them. All members of the cabinet must be approved by Congress. The president does not directly hire anyone except for his support staff.

If the president doesn't nominate a cabinet member, the Vacancies Act will automatically fill the role until someone is nominated and approved by Congress. Whoever the temporary person is doesn't report to the president so they can do whatever they want until replaced. The president can't fire them either. The only people the president can fire are cabinet members.

The only way to get rid of the Department of Education, for example, is by an act of Congress.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.