Hide
20 Posts

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Seven Year Old Boy Game Recommendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 1.AUDIENCE:-Kids [+] [View All]
Kari P
msg tools
I'm looking for some new game recommendations for my seven year old son for Christmas. He loves abstract, strategy, and logic games. We have not played loads of heavy European style games with him, and I want to add to our collection. Right now he loves Carcassonne, Forbidden Island, Settlers of Catan, and Blokus. We have Ticket to Ride, though he hasn't played it yet. Some games I was thinking about are Tsuro, Castle Panic, and Hive. Anything to add? (Not sure about the theme of King of Tokyo- it might scare him.) Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip O'Brien
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He sounds like a well rounded gamer.

Games you haven't listed that my 7yo son likes are Formula D, Qwirkle, Splendor and Sleeping Queens. Fairy Tale is one he taught himself after I downloaded the iPad app and is probably his favorite at present. Games played once and enjoyed that l foresee we will play a lot more of are Takenoko and 7 Wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son loves playing Black Fleet, Small World, Lords of Waterdeep and Agricola: All Creature Big and Small, and he can play those game on his own, even beat me many times.

He also loves playing Marco Polo, Dungeon Petz and the newest Steampunk Rally. However, he does not play these games "optimally" yet, which is alright for me considering his age (he is six).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thebes: The Tomb Raiders was my latest game to teach my son. He is almost 7. The mechanics - he had no trouble. The luck - he definitely got. The strategy to when to dig and why not dig - no so much. But he had fun. He finished ahead of Mom, and only 4 points behind Dad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M
msg tools
+1 for Splendor.
+1 for Black Fleet.
+1 for Lords of Waterdeep (although some of the pictures might be considered scary).
+1 for King of Tokyo / King of New York. I obviously don't know your kid, but it's hard for me to imagine this would be scary for a 7 year old. The artwork seems no scarier than your average superhero cartoon.

Tokaido is a fun linear worker placement game that's easy to learn. My 6 year old loves it.

This doesn't really fall into your requested categories, but Mice and Mystics is a great kid friendly RPG / dungeon crawl game. It has been my kid's favorite game for the past year. It's also a good Christmas present type game because there is so much cool stuff in the box and it seems to capture the imagination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dion Baxter
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamaica
Always popular especially when kids have been involved.
There's a real sense of gotcha and you can sub optimal play your moves to give them a small chance if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archaeology: The Card Game works great for 2-4 players. My 6 year old loves it. Plays in about 30 minutes.

Colt Express could be quite fun, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with "Tokaido" and "King of Tokyo". My son at age 7 was big on cartoonish monsters, and that's what KoT offers. Anything with dice is also a big winner, as kids (and ex-kids) love to chuck dice.

Staying with the dice chucking theme, along with cartoonish characters, "Dice Masters" is a favorite at my house. The Avengers vs. X-Men and the DC Justice League versions are the most enjoyable for us, but there are several other versions also. The strategy comes in trying to anticipate your opponent when choosing the team that you will field. The Watch It Played vlog does a very good job of explaining it.

"Forbidden Desert" is a more challenging & engaging version of "Forbidden Island" (at least I've found it so). Since he is familiar with FI, FD should be easy for him to jump into.

Finally, "Roll For The Galaxy" is a favorite for us, and is pretty easy to learn. It's dice-chucking in space, and the different worlds and technologies make it pretty interesting. The strategy in this game comes from deciding what direction to take based on your starting world/tech. Explore/Settle or Produce/Ship? And based on that, what color dice should you favor? It's also important to try to anticipate your opponent(s), so that you can put more of your dice into play.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

Machi Koro is the current favourite in my house, and has been for four months now, with the nearly 6 year old, as well as the 8 and 10 year old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive is fantastic. The Duke is incredible if he likes abstracts. Every game is different because of the tile draws, and the game is also beautifully-produced. Kamisado is another good abstract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko is a pretty fun game with really nice components. Who doesn't love pandas and bamboo?

There is some depth to it too, and probably has a lot of plays in it before you tire of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie L
msg tools
My eight year old son is very into many of the games already listed. A few that my son would recommend:

Labyrinth
Takenoko
Skyline
Camel Up
Castle Panic
Forbidden Island
Zeus on the Loose
Jamaica
King of Tokyo
Love Letter Batman
Slamwich
Splendor
Bohnanza

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmb
Dice master is a really good two player game if you go with just a base set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Follower of JesusMicrobadge: We're all mad about JonnaMicrobadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: Tenderness and kindness are manifestations of strength and resolutionsMicrobadge: 2019 Women & Gaming Holiday Card Exchange Participant
+1 to Hive

Also:
Hey, That's My Fish!
Water Lily
Aton
The Little Prince: Make Me a Planet
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries
If Wishes Were Fishes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Hive (or Hive Pocket
+1 to Hey, That's My Fish!
-1 to Jamaica, it's not abstract, strategy, or logic. I don't think it has many interesting decisions. (The artwork is brilliant, but in my opinion that's the only positive).

Not in any of your categories:

Star Realms - deck building sci-fi space combat. My 7 year old daughter really likes this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Kiva - Team BoardGameGeek memberMicrobadge: Martin Gardner fanMicrobadge: SAZ memberMicrobadge: John Nash, mathematician and game theorist, 1928–2015Microbadge: I love West Papua
+1 Hey, That's My Fish!

And if he preferes it a little more abstract / logic puzzling, I´d like to suggest my Topology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6-year-old enjoys Hive. Hive Pocket comes with the ladybug, which is a super fun addition, and the game fits nicely in my bag for waiting rooms, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will add that my 7 (very close to 8) year old routinely crushes me at Formula D.

On the advanced rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruth B
msg tools
Roborally

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls