9 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Variants

Subject: Return of Ganon: a faction based on The Legend of Zelda! (v2.0) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Bowles
msg tools
Quote:
VERSION 2.0 RELEASE: So after our group finally had a chance to playtest our factions, this faction received quite a few quality changes that make the faction feel more coherent than before. The changes are many, so I knew that having a huge errata list would get confusing if there was no starting point for the changes to reference from. For this reason, I added the original 1.0 version in text only (no description fluff) at the very bottom. I hope you enjoy!

So my friends and I have been playing Cthulhu Wars every so often for about a year now. It's definitely a great game and has made it's way to being the most played board game in our group now. Every so often, we would talk about new faction ideas, until about a week ago, we decided we were going to try and create our own factions for fun.

My faction theme actually came from a friend who said he wanted to make a faction based on Ganon from the Legend of Zelda. He had an idea or two, basically suggesting that his faction be a powerhouse like Cthulhu, but I couldn't help but run really far with the idea. Before I knew it, I had an entire faction created!

RETURN OF GANON (v2.0: errata list at the bottom)

So when building a faction about Ganon, the question is, what is the theme? POWER!! Well yeah, but give Ganon a little bit more credit. Windwalker and Cthulhu are also powerful factions. Ganon is much more than a brute. He's also deceitful, manipulative, power hungry, and I love how the wiki puts it, a "megalomaniac". So more than just having strong units or big battle based abilities, THE RETURN OF GANON is designed to be conquest heavy, marching towards the sources of power it seeks and taking from others, rather than focusing on gathering resources on its own.

Quote:
Faction Ability: Cursed Land - During the Gather Poewr Phase, enemy controlled gates that share an area with 1 or more of your units earn their player 1 less power. Also, while Ganon is in play, they earn you 1 power.

A very common theme throughout the Legend of Zelda is the effect of Ganon's inevitable return. In essence, his return brings ill throughout the land and drains Hyrule of life and prosperity. Often times, an area will be stuck with such a curse until Link goes and clears out the Big Bad Boss of that area first. So appropriately enough, Ganon here spreads his curse throughout the map by spreading his army across it.

Units:

Quote:
Cultists
units 6 / cost 1 / combat 0

Spellbook: The Dark World (Action: Cost 1) - Choose an area with a gate you control. Eliminate a cultist there (regardless of faction) and replace it with the cheapest monster from your pool.

Such lost, hopeless followers. Ganon has had quite a few of these throughout the Legend of Zelda even though whatever they are given is eventually taken away at Ganon's convenience or as a punishment for failure. The Dark World is a reference to the parralel universe (http://zeldawiki.org/Dark_World) corrupted by Ganon. In the video game A Link to the Past, he uses it to lure evil hearts to build his army and power. It is said that the Dark World turns anyone into a true reflection of their spirit. This causes most people who come there out of greed (like Ganon's followers) to become evil monsters!

(btw, the sprite here is not a follower of Ganon, but actually a Subrosian from The Oracle of Seasons! http://zeldawiki.org/Subrosian)

Quote:
Moblin http://zeldawiki.org/Moblin
units 4 / cost 1 / combat 1

Spellbook: Darkness Prospers (Ongoing) - When cultist(s) are killed in a battle against a Moblin, place those cultist(s) on your faction sheet as captured instead.

Moblins are perhaps Ganon's most iconic minions. They've appeared in many different games in many different shapes and sizes and with wildly varying levels of strength and danger. It ranges from their throw-away nature from the original NES game to their terrifying forms in the Lost Woods of Ocarina of Time. In this faction, I decided to go with the more throwaway design. Their ability, Darkness Prospers is a reference to how Ganon usually leaves his minions to do most of the kidnapping.

Quote:
Octorok http://zeldawiki.org/Octorok
units 3 / cost 2 / combat 1

Spellbook: Rock Shot (Battle) - Octoroks can participate in battles occuring in adjacent areas to them (but cannot declare battles this way). A pained Octorok using Rock Shot cannot retreat an area that a unit of yours retreated from.

One of the first enemies you encounter in the first Legend of Zelda. These sometimes cute octopuses are best known for spitting rocks at you from a distance. Hence forth, the spellbook you can earn for them is Rock Shot. This allows the Octoroks to battle from a slight distance.

Quote:
Darknut http://zeldawiki.org/Darknut
units 2 / cost 3 / combat 3

Spellbook: Heavy Armor (Battle) - Pains applied to Darknuts are ignored.

These guys are pretty infamous for being some of the toughest regular enemies in Zelda games. Their signature is the heavy armor they wear that makes them immune to most attack. In many games, their only weak point is their back. In the original Zelda game, they took damage from ordinary sword attacks but did not flinch!!. For these reasons, I made their spellbook Heavy Armor, which gives them enough plating to prevent flinching from weaker hits.

Great Old One:

Quote:
Ganon http://zeldawiki.org/Ganon
cost 7 / combat 5*

Awaken:
1.) Have a captured cultist on your faction sheet and a controlled gate
2.) Pay 7 power and return the cultist to its owner's pool.
3.) Ganon awakens at the controlled gate.

Abilities:
*Combat Power*
- Ganon's combat is equal to 5 plus 1 for every Moblin on the map.

*The Triforce of Power* (Battle) - An opponent battling Ganon rolls 1 less dice minus 1 more for each of their Great Old Ones battling if the battle is in an area with one of their controlled gates.

Spellbooks:
Traces of Evil (Ongoing)
- Anytime that Ganon is moved, you can take 1 of your units from anywhere on the map and place it where Ganon was before he was moved.

The man, the beast himself. Ganon actually went through a lot of variations before I decided on this alone, but I'll probably save that for a "scrapped ideas" section. Traces of Evil is yet another Spellbook that is based on a common theme throughout the Legend of Zelda series. Typically, every place you visit as Link seems to have "just been visited" by an evil man or beast, and everytime, he leaves a curse and a big beast to slay.

Quote:
Other Spellbooks:
Ritual of Doom (Ongoing)
- During Gather Power Phase, any number of the captured cultists you sacrifice may be sacrificed for 1 Doom Point each instead of 1 power.

Spellbook Requirements:
- Take this spellbook when *Cursed Land* prevents a player from gaining 1 power in a turn.
- Take this spellbook when *Cursed Land* prevents player(s) from gaining a combined 2 power in a turn.
TAKE BOTH SPELLBOOKS IF YOU PREVENT 3 OR MORE POWER!!
- Have all your Darknut units on the map.
- The Ritual of Annihilation marker reaches a cost of 7.
- The Ritual of Annihilation marker reaches a cost of 8.
- Awaken Ganon.

The last Spellbook available is the Ritual of Doom. Needing sacrifices being yet another common theme for Ganon's plans to work. Ritual of Doom is essentially his scoring engine. It only gives 1 doom point, but keep in mind, this faction has an easier time capturing cultists than others. You are not obligated to exchange them for Doom Points, so if you need a big turn, you can do the normal exchange for more power.

The Spellbook Requirements were perhaps the hardest part of designing this faction. The spellbooks are loosely based on what things Ganon/Ganondorf would want to do. Being a seeker of power and being ruler over all things, he would want to conquer other sources of power and spread his army as a sign of his dominance. Rituals being a huge part of Ganon's lore, 2 of his books require the doom track reaching a certain value. The Darknuts are his best soldiers, so getting them out is a fine example of his dominance.

Erratas

Quote:
version 2.0
Quote:
FACTION ABILITY: Cursed Land - Enemy controlled gates that share an area with 1 or more of your units earn their player 1 less power during the Gather Power Phase. Also, they earn you 1 power when abandoned.Also, while Ganon is in play, they earn you 1 power each.

A small but very welcomed thematic change. This abandons the interactions with what it means to be an "abandoned" gate and is simpler for players to understand.

Quote:
Unit changes...
Octoroks Moblins / units 4 / cost 1 / combat 1
Moblins Octoroks / units 3 / cost 2 / combat 1
Darknuts / units 2 / cost 3 / combat 2 3

After playtesting, we simply found it too hard to justify the cost of Moblins and at the same time, Octoroks seemed too cheap. The easiest solution was to switch their unit and cost values. So now the Moblins are the most throwaway units, and the Octoroks are a little more valuable.

Darknuts also felt completely unworthy of their cost. The only reason they were even summoned was to be playtested. To help a little, I gave them 1 extra combat. This also balances out the fact that the overall combat of this faction is a little lower without "Loyalty to Darkness".

Quote:
Spellbook: Rock Shot (Battle) - Octoroks can participate in battles occuring in adjacent areas to them (but cannot declare battles this way). A pained Octorok using Rock Shot cannot retreat to the area where the battle took place or to any area adjacent to it. an area another unit of yours retreated from

I guess I'm still sorting out the technicalities of this book. Preemtively putting the harsh restriction of not being to retreat to any area close to the battle caused a lot of technical problems. We even had issues where Octoroks couldn't retreat, which is strange when it's the only unit that can't retreat. Do we rule it as killed like when nothing can retreat? So then does everything else that retreat get to stay? It was a rabbit hole of questions and edge case rulings, so we loosened up on where the Octoroks can retreat too. Basically , they can't retreat into an area something else of yours retreated from. This prevents them from entering the battling area and prevents them from swapping positions with another Octorok, essentially nullifying 2 retreats. We've learned from playtesting that even if they do get to circle the battle area (and thus remain a threat to it), doing so still carries big consequences such as leaving other territories you value unguarded. With this change, it ended up being quite balanced and fun.

Quote:
GREAT OLD ONE: Ganon
cost 10 / combat 5*
Awaken:
1.) Control 3 cultists at a gate you control
2.) Pay 10 power.
3.) Ganon awakens at the gate.

cost 7 / combat 5*
Awaken:
1.) Have a captured cultist and a gate you control
2.) Pay 7 power and return the captured cultist to the owner's pool.
3.) Ganon awakens at the gate

This change was made simply because I felt the old summoning requirements were very bland and not very "Ganon-esque". Sacrificing a cultist you captured sounds much better, but since that takes work, Ganon should cost less to summon.

Quote:
Removed (or completely reworked) Abilities:
- Loyalty to Darkness (Spellbook)
- Ritual of Power (Spellbook)
- Triforce of Power (Spellbook)
- The Dark World (Ganon's ability)

The New Abilities!
- Darkness Prospers (Spellbook)
- Ritual of Doom (Spellbook)
- Triforce of Power (Ganon's Ability)
- The Dark World (Spellbook)

A lot of stuff ended up being reworked. Because Moblins were made cheaper, Loyalty to Darkness had to be changed. Once it was battle based, I felt like the name wasn't as fitting either.

I completely abandoned the idea of stealing Doom Points. It wasn't even that it was too powerful, it was that it was not settling well with anyone else in our play group. So since that, I changed it around so that the Ritual spellbook is the spellbook that earns doom points from captured cultist. It keeps the "taking away" theme without it being actually stealing score points from the opponent.

This left Darkworld opened to be completely remade. So since that, I decided to make it an economy type spellbook, and one that's very fitting too!

Quote:
Spellbook Requirements:
Old:...

- An opponent's gate becomes abandoned while sharing an area with one of your units.
- Have all 3 Moblin units on the map
- Have the lowest remaining power when it is the starting player's action round.
- Take this spellbook when *Cursed Land* prevents the other players from gaining 2 or more power in a turn.
- Awaken Ganon.

New:
- Take this spellbook when *Cursed Land* prevents a player from gaining 1 power in a turn.
- Take this spellbook when *Cursed Land* prevents player(s) from gaining a combined 2 power in a turn. TAKE BOTH SPELLBOOKS IF YOU PREVENT 3 OR MORE POWER!!
- Have all your Darknut units on the map.
- The Ritual of Annihilation marker reaches a cost of 8.
- Awaken Ganon.

Just some more thematic fine tuning! I think this change makes Ganon fit in better with the other Cthulhu Wars factions, following the requirements pattern of 4 thematic, 1 awaken, and 1 weird spellbook requirements

Quote:
version 1.01

Quote:
Spellbook: Rock Shot (Battle) - Octoroks can participate in battles occuring in adjacent areas to them (but cannot declare battles this way). A pained Octorok using Rock Shot cannot retreat to the area where the battle took place or to an area another Octorok retreated from any area adjacent to it.

Octoroks are already a great unit for being a 1 power cost, 1 combat monster. The ability as it was stated before allowed an Octorok to circle the area when they "retreated" even though that's not really much of a retreat in the practical sense. With the change, a successful pain on an Octorok means that it will for sure no longer be a threat to that area on the map until the player moves him.

Quote:
The Triforce of Power The Dark World (Action: Cost 1) - When Ganon shares an area with an enemy controlled gate, take 1 doom point from the gate's owner, then immediately take a second different action.

Simple name change. Now named after the parallel world (http://zeldawiki.org/Dark_World) corrupted by Ganon. Seems fitting enough since you need a "gate" or warp to access it.

Replaced...
Quote:
Shadow Move (Action: Cost 1) - Take Ganon off the map and move him onto your faction sheet. At the start of your next Action Round, place him at a gate you control. (If you lack a controlled gate, place him at any gate) You cannot take Shadow Move as your next action

...with...
Quote:
The Triforce of Power (Pre-Battle) - During any battle involving Ganon, you can eliminate any number of your cultists from anywhere on the map. Roll that many more dice for that combat.

This was a change implemented to correct Ganon's playstyle to match his description by removing a defensive movement ability for a new battle ability for Ganon.

Quote:
Spellbook Requirements:
- Control a gate you did not build or start with
An opponent's gate becomes abandoned while sharing an area with one of your units.

- Have the lowest remaining power when it is the starting player's action round.
- Take this spellbook when *Cursed Land* prevents the other players from gaining 2 or more power in a turn.
- Take this spellbook at anytime during the Action Phase while you still have power. Gain power equal to the number of turns that have passed.
The Ritual of Annihilation marker reaches a cost of 7.
- Awaken Ganon.

As Lincoln advised, I should not be making the players keep tabs or memorize elements of the game that the game itself does not keep track of. I basically instead replaced those requirements with their most similar counterparts. I also indirectly nerfed a power source from the faction as well (you don't gain power and a spellbook when you feel like it now). I'm still on the fence about nerfing Cursed Land. I'm going to wait until our group actually begins playtesting before I touch it.

Quote:
version 1.0

RETURN OF GANON
FACTION ABILITY: *Cursed Land* - Enemy controlled gates that share an area with 1 or more of your units earn their player 1 less power during the Gather Power Phase. Also, they earn you 1 power when abandoned.

UNITS:
Cultists / units 6 / cost 1 / combat 0
Octoroks / units 4 / cost 1 / combat 1
Moblins / units 3 / cost 2 / combat 1
Darknuts / units 2 / cost 3 / combat 2

GREAT OLD ONE:
Ganon / cost 10 / combat 5*
Awaken:
1.) Have 3 cultists at a gate you control.
2.) Pay 10 Power.
3.) Ganon awakens at the controlled gate.
*Combat* - Equals 5 plus 1 for each Moblin in play.
*Triforce of Power* (Action: Cost 1) - When Ganon shares an area with an enemy controlled gate, take 1 doom point from the gate's owner, then immediately take a second different action.

Spellbooks:
*Rock Shot* (Battle) - Octoroks can participate in battles occuring in adjacent areas to them (but cannot declare battles this way). A pained Octorok cannot retreat to the area where the battle took place or an area an Octorok retreated from.

*Loyalty to Darkness* (Ongoing) - While Ganon is in play, Moblins gain 1 combat and do not pay power to capture cultists.

*Heavy Armor* (Battle) - Pains applied to Darknuts are ignored

*Traces of Evil* (Ongoing) - Anytime that Ganon is moved, you can take 1 of your units from anywhere on the map and place it where Ganon was before he was moved.

*Shadow Move* (Action: Cost 1) - Take Ganon off the map and move him onto your faction sheet. At the start of your next Action Round, place him at a gate you control. (If you lack a controlled gate, place him at any gate) You cannot take Shadow Move as your next action

*Ritual of Power* (Ongoing) - Once per turn, you can flip this book over to sacrifice any or all of the cultists you have captured this turn and gain the appropriate amount of power. Sacrificed cultists are returned to their players' pools. This book is flipped back face-up in the next Gather Power Phase.

Spellbook Requirements:
- Control a gate you did not build or start with
- Take this spellbook at anytime during the Action Phase while you still have power. Gain power equal to the number of turns that have passed.
- Awaken Ganon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Return of Ganon: a faction based on The Legend of Zelda!
If an Octorock participates in battle from adjacent areas does this mean they can accept kills also? Or is it just for added combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice faction to be sure. However I do have some problems with some of your stuff. Notably Shadow Move, and the turns that have passed spellbook requirement.

The problem is that Cthulhu Wars has no memory of anything that has happened before right now essentially. The only thing that you need to keep track of are doom points and the ritual of annihilation. What you see on the board and in front of other players is all you need to worry about.

So in having to figure out how many turns people have taken, or realizing you can't do shadow move this turn sadly requires thought. And makes people have to remember that as well as figure out a strategy and also what other people's strategies are.

Other than that the Ganon faction might have the potential to have the most power out of any faction. Below are the changes I would make to balance the faction.

Cursed land: Remove the first part, thus making it whenever he abandons a gate in an area with your units you get a power.

Shadow Move: It's essentially a mix of submerge and flight. It doesn't really seem like he needs 2 movement type spellbooks. Maybe reworking this one into something else. For instance he currently doesn't have OFFENSIVE combat spellbooks.

Tri Force of Power: Why isn't this a combat spellbook? I would definitely rename this spellbook to be more suited to that. (this one is only my opinion however.)

Link

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I loved loved loved that game. Still not making this variant official tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bowles
msg tools
I'm glad you find my faction to be nice. You certainly have an eye for finding the parts of this faction that went through the most "development hell" so to speak.

Shadow Move & Triforce of Power: Shadow Move is the last spellbook I thought of and has the most "thrown together" design of this entire faction, so I would have no problem replacing it. I like Ganon's Triforce of Power ability. If you are asking to replace the ability, I'm tempted to say I want to play-test the faction with my playgroup a few times first. However, I could definitely agree to changing the name of Ganon's unique ability and have the name "Triforce of Power" be the new spellbook, whatever it ends up being.

I find it interesting that you said this faction could easily have the most power. One of the biggest fears I dreaded when considering how playing this faction would work is that he doesn't have a passive ability to gain power like (nearly) every other faction. That's what actually spawned the power gaining spellbook requirement and the 2nd half of Cursed Land.

Speaking of, I could see Cursed Land being open to misinterpretation. The idea is that the gates being cursed earn their player only 1 power instead of 2. It does not flip their usefulness and cause players to lose 1 power for each. In example, if a player has 6 cultists and 3 gates, but your Darknut shares an area with 1 of their gates, they would gather 11 power during that Gather Power Phase.

The ability to repress opposing power is intended to be a key selling point of Return of Ganon. If at all possible, I would rather nerf another part of the faction to compensate it if the ability is that powerful. However, if the ability is too wonky and powerful to fit in a good design, then I will change it.

I'll also take a look at what I can do to change the Spellbook Requirements that require memorization beyond what CW itself keeps track of. The first requirement will probably change to an enemy's gate is abandoned while sharing an area with your unit(s). The take anytime spellbook might be reworked to be a function of the Ritual track since that's the closest thing to turn counting. Besides, a focus on rituals is great for the whole Ganon theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe instead of the Spellbook requirement looking at how many turns have passed it uses how many Rituals of Annihilation have been performed? That gets recorded every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understood what you meant by Cursed Land. I think that Ganon sitting on an enemy gate doing Triforce of Power would for sure want them to leave the gate behind giving you the power. Also maybe we could change Cursed land to be better!

Maybe if Cursed lands was whenever anyone abandoned a gate you got the power even if you weren't in the same area. You might want to not include battle abandons though. That would be pretty gross. Also probably captures... Hmmm Maybe you do want battles to trigger it then. Yes that sounds correct.

Cursed lands would activate whenever anyone abandoned a gate. Except for when captured off of it. I guess technically they never abandoned it, I just want it to be clear.

Shadow move could be something like pay 1 power to add dice equal to the enemy's controlled gates. I think this would help them out and maybe this spellbook should only apply to Ganon. Having a moblin rolling 3 extra dice sounds gruesome. OOOOOHHHHHH I know we can make Ganon's combat be equal to double the opponent's controlled gates.

Okay this was rambly, but this faction has some solid ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bowles
msg tools
davidryanandersson wrote:
If an Octorock participates in battle from adjacent areas does this mean they can accept kills also? Or is it just for added combat?

Yes, Octoroks can accept kills and pains with Rock Shot! Pretty amazing right?

davidryanandersson wrote:
Maybe instead of the Spellbook requirement looking at how many turns have passed it uses how many Rituals of Annihilation have been performed? That gets recorded every game.

Thank you. This actually ended up being implemented in the Spellbook requirement.

linkthestink wrote:
I understood what you meant by Cursed Land. I think that Ganon sitting on an enemy gate doing Triforce of Power would for sure want them to leave the gate behind giving you the power. Also maybe we could change Cursed land to be better!

Maybe if Cursed lands was whenever anyone abandoned a gate you got the power even if you weren't in the same area. You might want to not include battle abandons though. That would be pretty gross. Also probably captures... Hmmm Maybe you do want battles to trigger it then. Yes that sounds correct.

Cursed lands would activate whenever anyone abandoned a gate. Except for when captured off of it. I guess technically they never abandoned it, I just want it to be clear.

Shadow move could be something like pay 1 power to add dice equal to the enemy's controlled gates. I think this would help them out and maybe this spellbook should only apply to Ganon. Having a moblin rolling 3 extra dice sounds gruesome. OOOOOHHHHHH I know we can make Ganon's combat be equal to double the opponent's controlled gates.

Okay this was rambly, but this faction has some solid ground.
Nooooo, I just changed stuff!! xD I like your brainstorming though.

I have thought of some silly abilities msyelf. Like consider a pre-battle ability that wiped out all cultists in the area, regardless of faction for +1 combat each in that battle. Waaaay too overpowered though unless it came with a power cost (like maybe 2 total or 1 per cultist).

I don't think gaining a power for any abandoned gate is really fair. Other battles are going to be going on and it's going to cause Ganon to gain a lot of power very quickly. Not to mention Black Goat is going to want to place his Dark Young on his gates by taking off his cultists first. This also puts a restraint on certain movements like moving cultists along gates in a bread crumb trail.

Actually, now that I think about it, there needs be even more restrictions since abandoning and controlling a gate are unlimited actions. This could lead to infinites so long as a faction is willing to declare a truce with Ganon.

There is more work to be done

EDIT: Oh, what if we removed the second half of Cursed Land and the free capture from the Moblins (for now) and have an ability that says enemy cultists that you eliminate in battle are captured instead? I think that fits way more thematically and also ties in better with Ritual of Power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bowles
msg tools
Just finished some major changes to RETURN OF GANON. Is there a way I can make collapsing quotations? The errata list is getting too big lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.