Zombies!!!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Winning via the helipad rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Goodrum
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you win the game the very second you're on the centre tile and no zombie is present? During a game last night one player got to the centre square and killed the zombie, another player then tried to play the card which puts a zombie in the same space as every player. Therefore there would be a zombie present on the centre tile blocking the helicopter and since his combat phase was over would be stuck there for another turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall how the rules are written - I'd have to look it up, but I believe the card play was too late. Once that last zombie was killed, the win condition was met and game over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Donohue
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: My contribution was deemed Pyuredeadbrilliant
VonMeister wrote:
I don't recall how the rules are written - I'd have to look it up, but I believe the card play was too late. Once that last zombie was killed, the win condition was met and game over.
I think this is the right answer.

I also think that if your group really enjoys the take that aspect of the game, then this could be a house rule -- like you have to stand on the clear space and end your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rulebook on the TC website:
The goal of ZOMBIES!!! is to be the first player to reach the center square of the
“Helipad” tile, kill any zombies there and escape the advancing zombie horde.
Alternately, a player also wins if he is the first to collect 25 zombies.

There is no additional condition for winning other than get to the center square of the helipad and kill the zombie.

But like sodonohue mentioned, you could create a variant - although I think it could extend the game to a point where it wears out its welcome. There are plenty of other moments during the game to screw opponents that it seems to me an another winning condition is unnecessary game goo.

Zombies!!! greatest feature as a game is its simplicity IMO.
Best just to set up and have another go at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn Sequence Overview
During a turn, players must perform the following steps.
1. Draw a tile from the map deck and place it on the table.
2. Combat any zombies on your current space. (Please see Combat Rules section.)
3. Draw back up to three event cards, if you have less than three.
4. Make a movement roll. (Please see Movement Rules section.)
5. Move up to the number of spaces indicated by the movement roll. You must stop
and combat on any space occupied by a zombie. You may continue your movement
after defeating a zombie up to your movement total.
6. After moving, roll a six-sided die. You must move that number of zombies,
one space each, if able.
7. At the end of the turn, you may discard one event card from your hand.
Play then proceeds clockwise around the table

Emphasis mine. Gotta first finish the turn. Then access/award victory. Harsh? NOBODY said a Zombie Apocalypse is all fun and games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand corrected - I didn't read that part.

However, if that player was before you and had already played a card on his turn he wouldn't be allowed to play another until his next turn. That's something to look out for.

Thanks for the education!
I guess my question would be - does the win condition interrupt that?
I suppose it's up to the players to determine that part.
In the app, the game is immediately over when you reach the center and kill the last zombie. I know that one does not necessarily have to be EXACTLY like the other, but it's something to consider and could be the intended game-ender interrupt.

And no, the Zombie Apocalypse is never fair....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found this in the FAQ on the TC website:

"When exactly is it determined that someone has won the game?
When someone makes it to the middle square of the Helipad and kills the zombie on that square (unless "Alternate Food Source" is in play, then they just have to reach the square).
Source: Kerry June 16, 2005"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess it is over when it ain't over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if anyone knows the intent of the gameplay, it's the creator.
Just an unclear detail in the rulebook.

Bottom line: Endgame has been determined, but play it how you like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VonMeister wrote:
I think if anyone knows the intent of the gameplay, it's the creator.
Probably. But, not always. I'm NOT disputing her FAQ answer. But, things are sometimes not what they seem. I've helped play test games. And, have helped out answering questions, or giving opinions on rules and game play, here. Been asked by game designers to be the "Answer guy" on a couple of forums. Not because I'm special, but because "80% of life is showing up." On a couple of occasions, the game designers asked me what they meant when they wrote a particular rule. Why not, I was actively playing a game they designed years previously, and they had moved on to a bunch more projects.

Anyway, just an insight completely, totally, unequivocally, unrelated to this game, and this question.

Humans tend to forget Humans aren't perfect. It's only human.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I didn't see any ambiguity in her answer.

Even MORE unrelated, I work in programming and, without really thinking about it, saw it as an end of loop - you must do this (game turn) until/unless this condition (winning condition) is met.

Regardless, I think the OP just wanted a clear answer "by the book."
It doesn't mean they can't determine their own way to play. As I said before, I just think it would extend the game to a point where players might want to walk away from the table. It's not a very deep game and is repetitive. Annoyingly so for single games that last longer than about an hour IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Donohue
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: My contribution was deemed Pyuredeadbrilliant
ZombieMark wrote:
Turn Sequence Overview
During a turn, players must perform the following steps.
1. Draw a tile from the map deck and place it on the table.
2. Combat any zombies on your current space. (Please see Combat Rules section.)
3. Draw back up to three event cards, if you have less than three.
4. Make a movement roll. (Please see Movement Rules section.)
5. Move up to the number of spaces indicated by the movement roll. You must stop
and combat on any space occupied by a zombie. You may continue your movement
after defeating a zombie up to your movement total.
6. After moving, roll a six-sided die. You must move that number of zombies,
one space each, if able.
7. At the end of the turn, you may discard one event card from your hand.
Play then proceeds clockwise around the table

Emphasis mine. Gotta first finish the turn. Then access/award victory. Harsh? NOBODY said a Zombie Apocalypse is all fun and games.

I don't see that "Finish the turn" step in the rules for winning. It says "Be standing on the empty square in the center of the helipad" Once I do that I win, game over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Games: Design 'em, rewrite 'em, play 'em!
mbmbmbmbmb
Its pretty sure that if you end your turn on the centre of the helipad and no zombie is in the same square then you win. I always found that ending a bit urk. One player would struggle to get there and not make it, but clear a path for the next player.

In my own variant, Zombies!!! A Second Slice! I changed the rule to be that the player had to stand alone on the centre of the helipad at the beginning of the turn, not the end. If another player enters the helicopter then the players duke it out to see who gets to stay and who gets thrown out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except, if played well, you'll never be alone there on the start of your turn... since Zombies aren't fought except on your turn... the other players can simply move a zombie onto your square every turn. You'd kill it off and wait for more.

I think the helicopter will take you away once you clear the space.. during your turn.

... now... if someone plays a card that puts a zombie on the square before you declare, "I win!" ... well.... then you have a fun debate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls