Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering why there are only 9 pieces for each player in a 2 player game.

In a 37-hex board without the central hex board there are 36 spaces. This would be enough for 18 pieces for each player (6 in each type of crab). We played this way (using a Tzaar set) and found it is a better 2 player with more choices and still lasting 20 or so minutes.

As a matter of fact: it would be possible to play with a full board even in a 3 player match: 36/3=12 pieces to each player (4 in each type of crab).

Ir the designer is around I'd like to know if it was a publisher decision of his own and what motivated him to determine a fixed number of pieces (9)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Kermarrec
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi there,

That's indeed a very good question. At first, the game was developped for 2 players, with 9 pieces for each. I liked the tense and quick games, you could make 3 or 4 of them because each was only lasting 5-10mn. After that, I tried to extend it to 3-4 players and it was working very well, so I kept the extendend board. When I saw the publisher, he had the same thought as you did : he thought the games with 2 players were a bit quick, he wanted to play with more pieces. We thought about giving the opportunity to play with 2 colors for each player on a full board. But indeed, it was far from perfect, the board could not be read as easily as if each player has only one color to remind. Even if some adults could have make that effort, we wanted the game to be easily played by children. So we gave up on that thing, because there was simply no good way to produce pawns that could make what you suggest. At first I tried to design pawns with different backgrounds, with pawns printed recto/verso, etc. but still the stacks could not be easily read... one solution would have been to produce 57 pawns instead of 36, to make sure what you suggest would have been possible. And it was not realistic, the game would have been too much expensive.

As you can see it is neither a designer or publisher decision, but a bit of both. But I'm glad you've found a way to play it like that at home. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls