Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Orléans» Forums » General

Subject: Fan Kit Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julia Ziobro
United States
Black Hawk
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my fan kit from Germany last night and spent two hours stickering meeples.

I'm just wondering if I was supposed to get nice citizen meeples as well, because I didn't. What did you get with your fan kit?
Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, there are no Citizen meeples, just meeples replacing the discs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Nope, there are no Citizen meeples, just meeples replacing the discs.
Ditto. And boy what an upgrade that is!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It has one small drawback.
Now you can see very well what your opponents are doing. Which means that looking for what they are doing becomes a more valid thing to do...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nāt
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
It has one small drawback.
Now you can see very well what your opponents are doing. Which means that looking for what they are doing becomes a more valid thing to do...
You say "small drawback," I say "major benefit!" The planning of others is meant to be common knowledge, and being able to see what everyone has lined up not only brings an extra layer of tension to the game, it also makes first player and the sequence of your actions that much more important. Overall, I definitely like being able to see at a glance.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would judge it the same way, were it not for the "simultaneity" rules. The problem is that there is no real rule when it comes to the PLACEMENT of pawns. And that is exactly where the game can become an endless stalemate - when two or three players watch each other, looking for who places what where, not wanting to be the first, all wanting to react to the others, etc.

Yes, the order of play can be turn-based, when it comes to actions. However, especially in the last rounds it is not only about taking things before others get them, but also about not wasting actions.

This is a drawback of the game design - because it makes seeing what others do (i.e. where they place their pawns) a hindrance of game flow.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
I would judge it the same way, were it not for the "simultaneity" rules. The problem is that there is no real rule when it comes to the PLACEMENT of pawns. And that is exactly where the game can become an endless stalemate - when two or three players watch each other, looking for who places what where, not wanting to be the first, all wanting to react to the others, etc.

Yes, the order of play can be turn-based, when it comes to actions. However, especially in the last rounds it is not only about taking things before others get them, but also about not wasting actions.

This is a drawback of the game design - because it makes seeing what others do (i.e. where they place their pawns) a hindrance of game flow.
I always play that while players are encouraged to plan simultaneously to speed up game play, players are required to "lock in" their choices in turn order.

Thus, I suppose if you wanted to you could "bluff" by putting pieces in spaces you don't intend to use, so that earlier turn order players will be thrown off if they examine your board.But the point is, you don't get to know that info anyway - but you do get to know if the player before you will be able to snipe your move.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a possible option, yes. However, it can lead to serious lag between "lock-ins".

We had that self-same situation in my one and only 5-player game. I think the only way to do it is to put a timer next to the board. And when the first player locks in, the next player has a maximum of 30 seconds to also lock in, etc.

Alas, I find this to not be the best option. It would speed things up tremendously, were there screens in the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Screens would result in a much higher occurrence of workers getting "stuck" on an action that they couldn't perform. That's not intended.

In the TMG version of the rules, it specifies that while planning can generally be done simultaneously, if there is a potential conflict then those potentially conflicting things should be locked in turn order. Having both played and taught the game a non-trivial amount of times, this has never been a problem. Most things are solved by a simple "hey, are you doing the knight action?" to the person earlier in turn order.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
msg tools
mbmb
Did you order your fan kit via DLP games website directly?

I placed an order last week and still no news.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
truekid wrote:

Most things are solved by a simple "hey, are you doing the knight action?" to the person earlier in turn order.
Yeah. Not with players who play competitively. Or at least not that easy. Laying traps so others get stuck is bread and butter, because it means creating a detrimental situation for them. And that can benefit you...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
truekid wrote:

Most things are solved by a simple "hey, are you doing the knight action?" to the person earlier in turn order.
Yeah. Not with players who play competitively. Or at least not that easy. Laying traps so others get stuck is bread and butter, because it means creating a detrimental situation for them. And that can benefit you...
I don't really understand what you're talking about. If the decisions are officially in order, then you can make some tentative plan and then you can always change it when the people before you finalize their choices.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Black Hawk
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thegroove7 wrote:
Did you order your fan kit via DLP games website directly?

I placed an order last week and still no news.
I ordered 10/28 and felt all pleased with myself for figuring out DLP's all-German website. I got email confirmation right away.

When I went the next morning to give a friend the link (a fellow Orleans lover), I saw that it was marked "sold out". I think maybe I got the last one, or the next-to-last.

I would email them and see what's up.

We're going to play it at BGG.CON and I'd be glad to make it available at other times even though my now-boss set feels pretty precious. My schedule is in my profile here, and you can always shoot me a PM.
JAZ
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Dumon wrote:
truekid wrote:

Most things are solved by a simple "hey, are you doing the knight action?" to the person earlier in turn order.
Yeah. Not with players who play competitively. Or at least not that easy. Laying traps so others get stuck is bread and butter, because it means creating a detrimental situation for them. And that can benefit you...
I don't really understand what you're talking about. If the decisions are officially in order, then you can make some tentative plan and then you can always change it when the people before you finalize their choices.
My bad.
I somehow misread or misinterpreted truekid's statement. The part of "the person earlier in turn order" did not reach my brain.

You are right. And I'll try to do that. Should work fine - except in those games where we have our AP prone players at the table (one of them starts thinking when it is his turn - you can see the little standby light in his eyes switch to computing mode every time).

Thanks for the suggestions.
And sorry again for me being stupid. Still too early, and without coffee, that might be the reason...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
Dumon wrote:
truekid wrote:

Most things are solved by a simple "hey, are you doing the knight action?" to the person earlier in turn order.
Yeah. Not with players who play competitively. Or at least not that easy. Laying traps so others get stuck is bread and butter, because it means creating a detrimental situation for them. And that can benefit you...
I don't really understand what you're talking about. If the decisions are officially in order, then you can make some tentative plan and then you can always change it when the people before you finalize their choices.
My bad.
I somehow misread or misinterpreted truekid's statement. The part of "the person earlier in turn order" did not reach my brain.

You are right. And I'll try to do that. Should work fine - except in those games where we have our AP prone players at the table (one of them starts thinking when it is his turn - you can see the little standby light in his eyes switch to computing mode every time).

Thanks for the suggestions.
And sorry again for me being stupid. Still too early, and without coffee, that might be the reason...
I think that's what the simultaneous planning is supposed to help solve - that AP prone player will be computing BEFORE it's officially his turn (to lock in), because it's everybody's turn, so to speak.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:

I think that's what the simultaneous planning is supposed to help solve - that AP prone player will be computing BEFORE it's officially his turn (to lock in), because it's everybody's turn, so to speak.
I know.
However, that is exactly the problem with seeing what the others are doing. AP prone players will not deviate from making plans only AFTER they know exactly what the players before them (in turn order) will be doing (i.e. after they locked in their token/meeple distribution).

The boon of simultaneous play, with AP prone players, could ONLY be upheld in toto if you'd use screens.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Stockhausen
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
Hello Mr. Walker,
you have got 3 mails meanwhile. 1st - automatically - when you placed your order (october 1st), 2nd, when your order was sent (october 3rd) and 3rd mail today to answer your question from yesterday. Please check your mail!
Best regards
dlp games
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls