Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Better Living Through ChemistryMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Beard fanMicrobadge: Leather Pride
A few things I gleaned from the Learn to Play and Rules Reference Guide:

- Both the skills and the assets are divided into groups that you'll be able to swap out once expansions are released. There are currently three asset groups (A, B and C) and six skill groups. I can't remember the names exactly, but they're something along the lines of:

-- Military Training (body)
-- Strength of the Wild (body)
-- Friends in Low Places (mind)
-- Need to Travel (mind)
-- Rune Magic (spirit)
-- Blessing of the Gods (spirit)

- There are rules for PvP (they are basically the same as for monsters), but they are "disabled" by default. Only abilities (like Corbin's) can allow PvP, which includes some quests.

- The introduction text in the LtP Guide makes it pretty clear that co-op scenarios are on the way.

- Heroes can trade with each other while in the same space (doesn't cost an action).

- There is a section in the RRG on good sportsmanship; players should only trade with each other for mutual benefit (rather than king-making), and players should always control monsters to the best of their ability.

- The RRG explicitly states that the next player may take their turn while combat is resolving, if they wish.

- There's no consistent pattern of quest type ratios in any of the quest decks.

- When a quest deck is exhausted, it is NOT reshuffled.

- When a hero succeeds at a quest, he takes the quest card as a trophy by default unless the card says "discard this card" (I may be little wrong here, I'm going by memory. Basically, you nearly always get the quest as a tropy if it is a monster or exploration quest, but only if the text says so if it's a social quest. It should become kinda obvious upon reading the cards.)

- The dice and tokens are all good quality. The stickers fit in their recesses well.

- Someone else mentioned they had read about a white crease down the board. I'm pleased to say that the crease is no more noticeable than on any other game with a folding board.

I'll try to think of anything else I got from the guides and update here when I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was excited to get my hands on this. Mage Knight takes too much effort these days, and I am in need of a good adventure game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
Italy
Castelbellino
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite the competitive nature, any chance this can be played solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Terinoth Adventurer's log, Year 1139:

Less than 10 days to release, and no rulebook posted from FFG...
It is starting to get suspicious...
Do they have something to hide, after all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great stuff - thanks Chris!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Better Living Through ChemistryMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Beard fanMicrobadge: Leather Pride
Soul_Guile wrote:
Considering the rulebook is hinting at co-op scenarios, that naturally also leads to solo scenarios.

There is no official solo option in the base game, though. But I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to just play it that way if you wanted to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manolios wrote:

Or maybe just waiting for the release date?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

When are you planning your first session?

VonMeister wrote:
manolios wrote:

Or maybe just waiting for the release date?
Board games don't have video game-esque release dates. For the people who can shop at CoolStuff Inc, the game is already released (it seems). And for many in Europe too, as evidenced by this very thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

Board games don't have video game-esque release dates. For the people who can shop at CoolStuff Inc, the game is already released (it seems). And for many in Europe too, as evidenced by this very thread.
my FLGS has it as of last night!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'll be playing tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Bruder Tod, zu unserem Gastmahl, steig hervor aus Staub und Erden. Alles Leben ist ein Sterben, alles Sterben ist ein Werden.
Microbadge: Golden-hearted hedgehog fanMicrobadge: Classic Portuguese film fanMicrobadge: Italian Futurists fanMicrobadge: Katherine Switzer fanMicrobadge: Bisexual
bleached_lizard wrote:
Soul_Guile wrote:
Considering the rulebook is hinting at co-op scenarios, that naturally also leads to solo scenarios.

There is no official solo option in the base game, though. But I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to just play it that way if you wanted to.
I soloed the game a couple of times. As long as you don't play Corbin, it's all about your honesty in how you handle your foe's tokens. 100% feasible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Laufgraben
United States
Ballwin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Would you mind elaborating on the solo play? Are you playing against some kind of time mechanism? Did you find it difficult? Will it work with all of the scenarios? Who or what is Corbin, and why doesn't it work for him or her?

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjlaufgr wrote:
Would you mind elaborating on the solo play? Are you playing against some kind of time mechanism? Did you find it difficult? Will it work with all of the scenarios? Who or what is Corbin, and why doesn't it work for him or her?

Thanks for your help!
Both scenarios have a time mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Six skill groups and six heroes.. Is there any correlation here (matching symbol or something?)
I thought it would be cool to, in the future, randomize a pool of six heroes, build a deck from corresponding skills, and then play. This would ensure you don't have something like a shaman or druid character when none of the skills whatsoever have to do with nature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
mjlaufgr wrote:
Who or what is Corbin, and why doesn't it work for him or her?
Corbin is a hero, and while I think there's nothing preventing him being used in solo, one of his abilities is to initiate PvP which would be useless in a solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Bruder Tod, zu unserem Gastmahl, steig hervor aus Staub und Erden. Alles Leben ist ein Sterben, alles Sterben ist ein Werden.
Microbadge: Golden-hearted hedgehog fanMicrobadge: Classic Portuguese film fanMicrobadge: Italian Futurists fanMicrobadge: Katherine Switzer fanMicrobadge: Bisexual
mjlaufgr wrote:

Thanks for your help!
There are a very few situations that are confrontational in the core set scenarios. The most important of these, is due to a hero (Corbin) that could "challenge" (once / hero / game) the other heroes playing. Clearly this ability won't be useful at all if you solo the game. And this honestly is the only problem with soloing the game: that you can't use at 100% potential that hero (you still use his 95% potential; please note that I played Corbin with other heroes and never used that ability because I don't like this aspect of the game)

If something "confrontational" arise due to cards, simply discard those cards and draw again: there's enough variety in each of the decks to allow you to discard one or two cards / game and still have a huge replayability.

The game has a time track, so that solo play works exactly like normal play: every round the time advance, then you resolve eventual effect triggered by the time advancing, and then you have a series of actions to resolve (move, adventure, explore, and so on); at the end of your turn, you start anew, you advance the time, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
MasterDinadan wrote:
Six skill groups and six heroes.. Is there any correlation here (matching symbol or something?)
I thought it would be cool to, in the future, randomize a pool of six heroes, build a deck from corresponding skills, and then play. This would ensure you don't have something like a shaman or druid character when none of the skills whatsoever have to do with nature.
There's no direct correlation between heroes and skills to be used in the game, sorry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Scarlet Witch wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:
There's no direct correlation between heroes and skills to be used in the game, sorry
No direct correlation, but there is a loose thematic correlation between the six heroes and six skill sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Okay, so I played. Any further questions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you have fun?

How many players?

How long?

Which scenario did you play?

Any rule problems?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
youperguy wrote:
Did you have fun?
Yes, though one of the players (someone I had never met before) was being kinda annoying and so spoiling the experience a little. I'm hoping to play again tomorrow, this time only with my usual gaming group.

Quote:
How many players?
Three. And I'm glad they capped the player count at four, as that really would be the upper limit I'd be willing to play at. Three was fine, though the annoying player was disengaged throughout (one of the annoying things about him).

Quote:
How long?
Started at about 7:45-8pm and finished at 11:30pm. So about 3-4 hours.

Quote:
Which scenario did you play?
I ignored the LtP Guide's recommendation to play Margath and played Vorakesh instead. Mostly because it seemed as if Vorakesh would be shorter (and I think it was). But I see why they recommend Margath, as it's more straightforward and probably easier for the heroes to win (we all lost, though the annoying player came close to killing him; me and the other player both had our arses handed to us by Vorakesh).

Quote:
Any rule problems?
A couple - I'll post a separate thread about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Laufgraben
United States
Ballwin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
One last question for those who have played- is the time limit a "soft" limit, meant to force players into an endgame so as to avoid boredom, or is it a "hard" limit, where it is very possible the players might fail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
mjlaufgr wrote:
One last question for those who have played- is the time limit a "soft" limit, meant to force players into an endgame so as to avoid boredom, or is it a "hard" limit, where it is very possible the players might fail?
It's a hard limit I believe - if nobody has defeated the boss by the time it's done then nobody wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Orion3T wrote:
mjlaufgr wrote:
It's a hard limit I believe - if nobody has defeated the boss by the time it's done then nobody wins.
This is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Orion3T wrote:
mjlaufgr wrote:
This is incorrect. Vorakesh has a time trigger limit, Margath has a movement trigger (the dragon moves on Tamalir after Act 2 ends) that in theory could go on for several further rounds.

In any case, the limit is not so "soft": it's perfectly plausible for all heroes to be defeated by the villain. Which is something that gives the game a truly epic aspect, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |