Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: Games Played Option Suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: gamesplayed [+] suggestion [+] games [+] played [+] options [+] [View All]
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
There have been many suggestions for additional options. I thought we should just have one thread to bring up the suggestions. Which makes it much easier for Aldie and Admins to find the suggestions.

These are the suggestions I have seen or come up with in various threads.

- Amount of Players
- Wins/Losses and Places
- Simple addition of expansions rather than going through each expansion to add that to games played
- Online Play
- Rating of the play
- Additional comments
- Time Taken for the game

I personally think these all would be great to add. especially for statistical purposes and personal tracking.

So what do other people think and do you have any other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Games Played Addition Suggestions
There's a good case for all of these, but it might be a bit much to have all of them. Here's how I would rank them:

1. Comments - I'd love to be able to include a shot mini-session report and this could be used for most of the rest of the list.
2. Expansions - It would be nice to check off expansions. Are expansions linked to the original game in the DB?
3. Amount of players - nice data to have
4. Win/loss/place - also nice, but some here seem to have a problem even with others caring about this
5. Time taken - could add some useful data
6. Online Play - I don't do much of it, but some want to separate ftf and online play
6. Rating of the play - I don't think I'd use this

Could some of this be done with tags?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
rshipley wrote:
There's a good case for all of these, but it might be a bit much to have all of them. Here's how I would rank them:

1. Comments - I'd love to be able to include a shot mini-session report and this could be used for most of the rest of the list.
2. Expansions - It would be nice to check off expansions. Are expansions linked to the original game in the DB?
3. Amount of players - nice data to have
4. Win/loss/place - also nice, but some here seem to have a problem even with others caring about this
5. Time taken - could add some useful data
6. Online Play - I don't do much of it, but some want to separate ftf and online play
6. Rating of the play - I don't think I'd use this

Could some of this be done with tags?

i will rank importance as well.

1. Expansions - i have many games with expansions would save lots of time
2. Amount of players - great piece of statistical data
3. Comments - good for reminders
4. Win/loss/place - i would like it, for a personal reflection but to look at others its pretty useless
5. Time taken - would be good to make an average time taken to show actually how long it takes, to compare to what it says on the box
6. Online Play - I do quite alot so i would this little feature
7. Rating of the play - for me this would be useless, but for others it might be good personal thing to show what people not to play a game with

i think the expansions are linked but on a database level im not sure. we would have to get answers from a high authority.

I think with most of these tags wouldnt be so good, especially for stuff that can be used for very good statistical purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
There's a good case for all of these, but it might be a bit much to have all of them.

I agree they all seem useful, and that many people won't want to bother entering all the info. So there should be wisely chosen defaults. E.g. for face-to-face vs online, I suggest the default is "unspecified", otherwise the system will have a bunch of bogus indications that a game was played f2f or online (if one of those was the default). Then when searching stats on games, people should be able to say "show me all plays", "show me all board", "show me all online" (and the latter two would not show the unspecified records).

Win/loss and rank are tricky due to the possibility of ties. The system should be able to represent such cases as "4 player game: I shared 1st place with another player"; "4 player game: I shared 2nd place with another player"; etc. A system I've used is #players I beat minus #players who beat me. So a unique winner in a 4-player game has a score of 3 (he beat 3 people and none beat him), a pair of tied winners have a score of 2 (they each beat 2 other players and none beat them), a pair of tied 2nd place have 0 (they each beat 1 other player and were beaten by 1 other player). There are many other possible ways to capture these various situation, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
i think for online or face to face the default should be face to face and then just have a check box for online. Would save alot of trouble i think.

a simple drop down menu for amount of players. or even a text box.

for expansions check boxs might work quite well. but if the games arent link in the database it would be alot of work to make this feature avaliable properly.

for win/loss a simple drop down menu. and for places you could have the number of players in a drop down menu.

time taken can be a simple text box and the amount of mintues would be recorded.

for rating a simple text box like rating of a game normally.

some features would be much easier to do than others. i think expansions would be the most difficult part to add.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter
Netherlands
Soest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to see this installed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Capach
United States
Maybrook
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesdavis wrote:

- Simple addition of expansions rather than going through each expansion to add that to games played
- Additional comments
- Amount of Players

While I am certainly in favor of all the suggestions listed in the original post, the above four are the options in which I have a particularly strong interest, listed from most interest to lesser interest. I am especially fond of simply checking boxes on a game play entry to indicate which expansions are used.

I like to see overall how many games I've played in a month but the addition of also entering expansions as separate games played skews the number and makes it seem far more impressive than it really should. Foir example, if one plays a game of Carcassonne with four of the available expansions it might appear as five games when really only one game was played.

Additional comments would be great if there was some particular discovery made about playability of a game revealed in a session or some other such detail.

I feel the amount of players and time taken for a game would be particularly useful to organizing games actually played to assist in picking games for another session of similar numbers of players or timeframe in which to play games.

Thanks for all the hard work in maintaining such a wonderful site! Certainly these are just wishes and aren't something that would make or break my experience here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Schuster
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
mb
I think comments would be very good, especially in a per-day way on the calendar instead of per-play.

Comments could also be a concise and handy feature to add, and could provide users with ways to implement their own versions of some of these other suggestions, according to their own interests, like, "three players today" or "I won and John got second" or "really good play today" and so on.

Number of players and time spent could be useful in a statistical sense, though I am not one to keep one eye on the clock when I'm enjoying a great game night!

Another suggestion would be the option to tag a "play" with other usernames, if you happened to be playing the game with other BBG users! I smell a "Kevin Bacon game" in the works!
John played Settlers with Andy, who played Bohnanza with Christina, who played Battle Line with Ricky, who played Blokus with... Kevin Bacon!

However in a nutshell, I think comments would be the most desirable (and flexible!) of options to add to Games Played.

And while I'm at it, I want to echo the praises of all the work that goes into BBG!!

Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
that would be a pretty fun suggestion. but how many people get t ogame with other users? i know i dont!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
jamesdavis wrote:
that would be a pretty fun suggestion. but how many people get t ogame with other users? i know i dont!

Everyone I game with is a regular on BGG.

beckerdo
edroz
hamzy
jgravitt
jgrimm
martang
rupes
SusanRoz
timbur
dstroud
mepperpint
scottwendy
Sans_Deity
sharkimojo
tloomis
KevinRoz
Dingus
russ <-- local no more, but always here.
jeffford76
rossum
BradyLS
JiaPeter
footdoc
Jipp

All local gamers I've played games with on a regular and semi-regular basis...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
all i can say is cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
as far as noting which games you play are "online" or on a computer, I'd also like a way to note which games are against an AI computer opponent. Example, I've played Ra many times now but never with a human. I felt it improper to list it as Games Played here on the 'geek but would have if it could have been defined in this way.

Good ideas all, Davis. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There could simply be a comment box at the game played info entry screen for most of that stuff - ike you could type MaBiWeb or your opponents names if you want. A cehckbox next to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd+ would be handy.

But the biggest thing is that I think there needs to be a single screen with many entry blanks so you can enter several games in a row, with the popups where you can type the name and the system finds the ID for you - like the Geeklists have.

And I'd like to see the text in the games played data show up in color - Green if I checked the 1st box, Red if I checked the 3rd+ box. Then I could see at a glance how I've been doing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Johnson
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

What I would love to see is something like this... on your games played list, there could be a small icon or something next to each game listed. If you click on that icon, it will display all the dates on which you played that particular game. This would be very useful because many times I would like to check and see the last time I played a particular game, or how long it's been since I played a certain game, etc. I think the only way to do that right now would be to go month to month to month on each calendar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll reiterate what I said on one of the other threads:

RecklessJester wrote:
What would be nice would be something set up similar to the way the Hot/Top-10 lists are done. At the top you set the date, then you have several line where you can type in the names of the games and a drop down menu to select the number of times played.

Plus here are 2 cross links to similar threads:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/144845
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/152826

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my suggestion from the first of those two threads is:
modified auto-date select when entering games played
Right now, when I'm entering games played, the date selection always picks "today" (I'm not sure if it takes it by central time, or if it talks to my computer to figure out my local time)

What would be nice is
a) if you've NOT entered an "I played this on..." entry in the last, say, 30 minutes, default to "today"
b) if you HAVE entered an "I played this on..." entry in the last 30 minutes, default to the date I last entered.

That way, if I'm entering the games I played at a session a day or even more after I did it, I only have to alter the date once.

Would make it much quicker.

Timothy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the discussion is about additional attributes to track associated with play logging but I'd really like to see some of the existing information made more approachable by adding some of this information to the existing statistics section of game pages:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RaDiKal wrote:

That would be sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would also be nice if you could state who you played the game with, then the total games played will be more realistic when more than one person logs the exact same game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RecklessJester wrote:
It would also be nice if you could state who you played the game with, then the total games played will be more realistic when more than one person logs the exact same game.

That would be entirely too much work... maybe total plays isn't useful info to begin with (as Ben says, there could easily be 2-5 entries for any game played).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Personally I would just be happy to see how many games of it I have played on the game page, but thats not so important cause i can just go look in my my geek profile.

Good idea though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would LOVE to be able to note expansions played when noting that I had played a certain game. I currently add expansions in order to determine which games in my collection are getting played and which I should consider trading. It is important to know if a certain expansion isn't hitting the table regularly. By the same token it kills the usefulness of the games played stats as a a given game of Heroscape (for example) might make use of 7 expansions and artificially pump up the number.

I would also love to see the ability to denote an online play vs. face to face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesdavis wrote:

- Amount of Players
- Wins/Losses and Places
- Online Play
- Rating of the play
- Additional comments

All good ideas. "Time of play" would be a great means to start getting some accurate estimates as to the length of a game. I'd enter these stats if they were available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new query results that allow you to easily lists plays was a great help. What's difficult though is that with my regular game group I play other's games a lot. It'd be great if we could get a query of all games played recently then I could enter those easily also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
I would also Like to add, I want to see in my game colletion gallery number of games played there under my rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.