Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Crokinole» Forums » Reviews

Subject: European Board Review: Crokinole Guru - Woodestic Crokinole by Cogitate Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Original Whiteside
United Kingdom
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I became familiar with Crokinole because of BGG and as a childhood Subbuteo player and a Pitch Car Mini owner I was keen on another 'flicking' game.

I am in the UK though and I did feel limited by the choices that are available to those of us in Europe. Shipping from the USA/Canada and the extra taxes are a nightmare when the boards themselves are already quite expensive and naturally heavy to ship. Other options were out of my budget. I had read the forums and could see that my choices appeared to be Ferti boards or Masters Games boards. The Masters boards look nice enough but they are expensive for what they are. The Ferti boards look OK but I'm not sure the available photographs do them justice - they look mass produced rather than crafted, and I was put off a little.

There are a few posts on BGG from LocWorks about boards that are available in Europe. By the time I had settled on making a purchase they had no stock of the full-sized boards but I discovered that they were actually only a distributor of the company that produces the boards that are know either as Woodestic Crokinole boards, or Cogitate Games boards.

I made my purchase directly from the Crokinole Guru website. The boards are made in Hungary and there are a selection of colours available for the playing area and ditches. You can choose from Cherry, Ebony, Oak, Steamed Beech and Walnut. I chose an Oak playing area and a Walnut ditch (as in the picture below - stock picture).

I opted for the Bronze set - which included a 30 day trial, lifetime guarantee, 2 sets of discs, a small bottle of wax and a cloth, a wall hanging kit, rule book and bumper rubbering. The customer service and communication was excellent, the delivery was fast and good value.

Onto to the most important element. I'm delighted with the quality of the board. The board arrived with a good finish and the extra wax means I can keep the shine. The bumpers were already inserted so I had no concerns there. The discs are convex/concave and are good quality. The centre hole has a small raised disc inside which makes it a breeze to remove the discs after 20 shots. The discs slide well, everything looks and feels great.

I know that for 115 Euro I am not getting a high-end board (not that I have played on one to compare) but having done my research on the options available within Europe I feel confident that I made a good choice. It is tremendous value for money. I don't see any other sellers in Europe that give the buyer as many choices on boards and accessories. I've only seen one or two mentions of Crokinole Guru on the forums and I would simply say that any prospective European buyers can, based on my experience, buy with confidence.

EDITED October 2017. The price I quote above is extremely out of date now. The price at this point for the equivalent board is 215 Euro.

Here are a few photos of my actual board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Kieft
Netherlands
Wieringerwaard
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking good I also want to buy a Crokinole while I don't mind to pay extra to get a amazing one I will never (most likely) notice the difference anyways. So after 3-6 months do you still like the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Whiteside
United Kingdom
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, still enjoying the board. I would still recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
A potentially dumb question - in your photos I can't see any wood grain on the playing surface or the ditch. Are they painted? Or are they made of something other than wood?

Is yours a full-size board or a mini? The Bronze set is currently listed at €180 for a full-size, €110 for a mini.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Whiteside
United Kingdom
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Only just seen this reply, sorry.

I believe the board is made of birch plywood (according to the website). As for the price, I think I might have been lucky. I got a full-size board when the Bronze set was €115 instead of €180. Maybe they were building up business at the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Boothroyd
msg tools
I appreciate that I am very late to this conversation now, but it appears the Crokinole board sold by Masters of Games in the UK is the Woodestic one sold by Crokinole Guru - made to order.

Just received mine and it is gorgeous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
ISBN: 1-85723-146-5
badge
Hmm...
Microbadge: Go playerMicrobadge: Abstract fanMicrobadge: I Play All GamesMicrobadge: The Sandman fanMicrobadge: Dreamblade fan
Just received my beech-walnut board. Very pleased with the quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls