Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have been reading and doing research as to whether this game would be right for us. One of the questions I have not been able to find an answer to is regarding the final boss fight.

I understand the game is basically a race to get to and fight the final boss. But do the other players just watch as you try and win that last epic battle? What happens if you fail (does the game go on without you)?

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that if you fail against the boss you are dead. It will then be up to the other players to try and kill it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
8Darren wrote:
I believe that if you fail against the boss you are dead. It will then be up to the other players to try and kill it.
This.

I played my first game yesterday and played Runebound 2 quite a bit. I'd say that Runebound 3 might be a bit slower than 2, and upgrades a bit more narrow. Also, I suspect FFG will pump out expansions like no tomorrow.

I'd say Runebound with 2 is best, with 3 passable probably with 4 dreadfully slow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruud2009 wrote:
I'd say Runebound with 2 is best, with 3 passable probably with 4 dreadfully slow.
I was thinking this as well. This would primarily be a me + wife game.

But wouldn't it be a bit anti-climatic if, in a 2 player game, one player dies during the final battle? I mean, I guess player 2 just continues, but they could spend an indefinite amount of time upgrading? Or does player 2 just win?

Not sure I like how this is handled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
But wouldn't it be a bit anti-climatic if, in a 2 player game, one player dies during the final battle? I mean, I guess player 2 just continues, but they could spend an indefinite amount of time upgrading? Or does player 2 just win?

Not sure I like how this is handled.
I noticed there's a time track. I wonder if there's some sort of time limit putting pressure on players, such that the everybody loses after a set number of turns?

In that case, at least eliminated players wouldn't have long to wait before remaining players must have a try at the end boss. And they presumably still get to control the enemies in combat with other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
jgortner wrote:
There's a time track so the other player still has to race the clock in order to win, otherwise everyone loses.

I suppose it would be up to players to decide whether or not to continue. In some situations they might not feel it's necessary or worthwhile. I can imagine by the time people are fighting the boss there shouldn't be a huge amount of time left, and with 1 player it wouldn't take too long to play out. The other player still gets to control monsters so won't be just a spectator.

I am sure this could easily be house ruled - rather than elimination send the defeated player back to a city where they need to rest and maybe lose some of their gear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Bruder Tod, zu unserem Gastmahl, steig hervor aus Staub und Erden. Alles Leben ist ein Sterben, alles Sterben ist ein Werden.
Microbadge: “Yet feet that wandering have gone / Turn at last to home afar.” Christopher Tolkien, 1924-2020Microbadge: Middle-earth fan - I can read TengwarMicrobadge: Tolkien fanMicrobadge: The Silmarillion fanMicrobadge: Bisexual
The time track sets specific conditions in the game for the final boss to arrive on the board, and for when it's game over. From the moment the boss arrives to the moment it's game over, players have the opportunity to challenge the final boss. You can wait for the very last minute, or if you're already geared up, you can attack earlier.

If a hero is defeated, the game continues until all heroes have been defeated and the villain wins, or a hero manages to slain the final boss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls