Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Cornthwaite
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mb

The rules on collapse and surrender continue to be puzzling.

The latest (28 October 2015) iteration of the rules contains two mutually-contradictory sets of provisions on when a surrender check is triggered. Page R11 states that a surrender check is triggered if any two of four specified conditions are satisfied, but Rule 18.3 states that a surrender check is triggered if any one of three specified conditions is satisfied. Given the importance of surrender to the game, it is regrettable that this contradiction appears in the revised rules.

The contradiction was spotted by a correspondent to the ConSimWorld debate, in response to which the designer, Mr Miranda, recently stated that the former provision (i.e. the one on page R11) is correct. However, the final sentence of Rule 18.3 (B) states that "As long as the collapsed power has at least one transferred MP on its track, it does not make a surrender check." It seems to follow from the foregoing, therefore, that the retention by a power of at least one MP will block a surrender check, but will not necessarily block a collapse check if any two of the other conditions on page R11 are satisfied. I do not understand the rationale for this inconsistency.

How simple it all was in the first and second editions of the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Microbadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: BMW fanMicrobadge: Bourbon drinkerMicrobadge: Cleveland Indians fanMicrobadge: I Hate Winter
Newer is not always better shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls