Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

T.I.M.E Stories» Forums » General

Subject: Question re the puzzles: realistic and thematic? (no spoilers please) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Neale
United Kingdom
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"The game is afoot!"
Microbadge: Black Sonata fanMicrobadge: I love deceivingMicrobadge: Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective FanMicrobadge: Letters from Whitechapel fanMicrobadge: Social Scientist
I've seen it mentioned that some of the puzzles feel a bit gamey and not that realistic or thematic - i.e. they are there so players have something to solve rather than feeling like a natural element of the world the players enter.

Without giving any spoilers what do people who've played the game think about this? Would you say the puzzles are all highly thematic and seem like the kind of thing you'd expect to encounter in a 'real life' scenario (in that specific game world) if you were ever in a similar situation? Or are they a bit like a lot of puzzles in computer games or Fighting Fantasy books, where you have to do some really weird stuff and carry around items that you'd never actually bother to carry around in the real world? (e.g. you meet someone who has a problem with mice in their home so you need to have collected the mouse-trap from the other person who you only encountered because you managed to get through a door that for some inexplicable reason had a lock in the form of a logic puzzle...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Vienna
European Union
flag msg tools
badge
live and die on one day
Microbadge: Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Serenity fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fan
Is it highly thematic? Or is it like puzzles in computer games or Fighting Fantasy Books? I would say it is both. It is not realistic in the sense of: "This could even happen to me!" Nevertheless the decisions that have to be taken are conclusive. It is much more than „doin‘ some weird stuff and carry around useless items“. The most interesting aspect is the very intense cooperative experience. You’ll never extract that experience from a computer game or from a Fantasy Adventure Book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Watership Down fanMicrobadge: Millennium Blades fanMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)Microbadge: Nightfall fanMicrobadge: BattleTech fan
For the most part, the puzzles are sensible and logical (even if they are a bit gamey in terms of execution sometimes). However, there are two puzzles that came off to me as being particularly gamey - one where you're swapping bits about to solve a maze, and another where <spoilers>.

Overall, I think the rest of the game holds up quite well, but I can see why the two gamey bits may drive some players away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
Microbadge: My wife buys me board games!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Legendary fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Retired
Thus far (Asylum all done, Marcy two runs done), all of the puzzles have remained internally consistent with the cases' settings to maintain the immersion. There was certainly no "monkey wrench" puzzle à la Secret of Monkey Island.

Mechanically there was one puzzle in Asylum that kind of broke the "fourth wall" by having the solution being to do something with one of the game's physical elements, but even that, for me at least, was fine, this is going to be a limitation for the series because there is no database running in the background to bring forward the result like there is in a digital adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You're using dice to simulate thigns like combat.

The puzzles simulate other situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magius wrote:
For the most part, the puzzles are sensible and logical (even if they are a bit gamey in terms of execution sometimes). However, there are two puzzles that came off to me as being particularly gamey - one where you're swapping bits about to solve a X, and another where <spoilers>.

Overall, I think the rest of the game holds up quite well, but I can see why the two gamey bits may drive some players away.
You just spoiled a puzzle, I would edit it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Gallerist fanMicrobadge: Kanban: Automotive Revolution fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Clans of Caledonia fan
Thematic? Definitely. The puzzles weren't just there to be there - each of them tied into the story in some way.

Realistic? Ehh... somewhat. Some puzzles are ones you'd easily see in real life. There are some instances that feel somewhat like:

- There's a locked box.
- Realize that you don't have a key
- Move on to another area only to discover a mysterious key

On the other hand, there are some gamey moments where it really does break that fourth wall (as mentioned earlier).

But that might just be part of the charm of TIME Stories. It knows that some of these elements are gamey and it will use that against you. For those who have played:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I refer of course to that damned plunger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Watership Down fanMicrobadge: Millennium Blades fanMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)Microbadge: Nightfall fanMicrobadge: BattleTech fan
Timefortravel wrote:
Magius wrote:
For the most part, the puzzles are sensible and logical (even if they are a bit gamey in terms of execution sometimes). However, there are two puzzles that came off to me as being particularly gamey - one where you're swapping bits about to solve a X, and another where <spoilers>.

You just spoiled a puzzle, I would edit it.
Personally, I'm fine with a very minor spoiler that does not indicate where it pops up (unless you've already dug a bit into the story already), what the proper solution for the puzzle is, or how it impacts the story. Heck, all the information I provided comes forward when you find the puzzle and are setting it up. Personally, I think that's on par with saying some of the puzzles require finding something else to solve - yes, it's a bit of a spoiler, but so minor a one that it really is a non-issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
Microbadge: GameChat League - Phoenix Division: "Like a phoenix rising from the ashes..."Microbadge: A Study in Emerald fanMicrobadge: Built to Spill fanMicrobadge: Age of Steam fanMicrobadge: The 7th Continent
Magius wrote:
yes, it's a bit of a spoiler, but so minor a one that it really is a non-issue.
It's quite easy to edit your post with some spoiler tags, so would you consider doing so to help those who consider the comment to be a spoiler? I personally would have been disappointed to read that bit if I hadn't already played through the Asylum case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls