D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Pax Renaissance fanMicrobadge: War of the Ring fanMicrobadge: Merchants & Marauders fan
I apologize in advance for what must be an obvious question - but I've searched for answers with no progress.

The situation:

Van Helsing moves to Marseille during the Day phase and immediately reveals Dracula. As it is Day, no combat occurs. Dr. Seward, in an adjacent city, then also moves to Marseille. As Dusk occurs, combat ensues - first with Van Helsing, and then with Seward.

The confusion: With both 'Fangs' and 'Escape as Bat' cards, there are special conditions Dracula may employ if and only if it is Night, as written on the card. The problem is, in this situation, Dracula is always combatting at Dusk when discovered by a Hunter - so those Night effects would seemingly NOT come in to play in the aforementioned scenario.

Questions:
#1: Is this correct? In that, is the "Night" effect on these cards NOT considered accessible during Dusk for Dracula when discovered by hunters?

#2: If the answer to #1 is yes, then can Dracula only use the "Night" effects of those cards when he reveals himself during his turn (which would be the true night phase) and combat ensues?

Thanks so much again for your patience and responses.

CD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game fanMicrobadge: WotC "Dungeon Command: Blood of Gruumsh" Contest participant
1. No, that's not correct.
Dusk = night

Plus, they should be fighting Dracula together (but only one hunter can be 'engaged' with Dracula in each combat round.

At least, that's how I understand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casualist
Denmark
flag msg tools
Microbadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinkingMicrobadge: Ra fanMicrobadge: Discworld: Ankh-Morpork fanMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: J. R. R. Tolkien fan
Cyclodog wrote:
I apologize in advance for what must be an obvious question - but I've searched for answers with no progress.

Questions:
#1: Is this correct? In that, is the "Night" effect on these cards NOT considered accessible during Dusk for Dracula when discovered by hunters?

#2: If the answer to #1 is yes, then can Dracula only use the "Night" effects of those cards when he reveals himself during his turn (which would be the true night phase) and combat ensues?

CD
Combat, page 4 in the Rules Reference:

If combat is at dusk or night, Dracula resolves the “at night” effects of his combat cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Emerson, Lake & PalmerMicrobadge: Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds fanMicrobadge: Prog Rock fanMicrobadge: Yes fanMicrobadge: Dream Theater fan
Mickey Stirrups wrote:
1. No, that's not correct.
Dusk = night

Plus, they should be fighting Dracula together (but only one hunter can be 'engaged' with Dracula in each combat round.

At least, that's how I understand it.

Mickey is correct in both his answers.

The system is designed so that if hunters move to Dracula's location during the day, combat will take place at night. If Dracula moves to a hunter's location during night, combat will be during the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Pax Renaissance fanMicrobadge: War of the Ring fanMicrobadge: Merchants & Marauders fan
Casualist wrote:

If combat is at dusk or night, Dracula resolves the “at night” effects of his combat cards.

Crap - there it is. Thank you, Casualist. Sorry for the clutter everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The 7th Continent fanMicrobadge: Strat-o-Matic Baseball fanMicrobadge: Wingspan fanMicrobadge: Azul fanMicrobadge: Level 09 BGG poster
Cyclodog wrote:
Casualist wrote:

Crap - there it is. Thank you, Casualist. Sorry for the clutter everyone!
Not at all. I'm sure this will help folks clarify two important things about "Dusk".
1) "Dusk" is part of Night (the very FIRST part).
2) "Dusk" as a combat phase involves exactly ONE combat.* Hunters fight Dracula as a group.

* I almost wrote "one combat per location" but at Dusk Dracula is necessarily one of the combatants and there is only one of him, so one combat total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Great clarifications.

And yes, the Hunters took turns combating Dracula once the dusk phase began. We resolved the first battle after 5 rounds when Dracula escaped as mist from Van Helsing. And then Seward's combat was initiated during which he killed Dracula.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P
United States
Chino Hills
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
Don't think that's how group combat is done, actually.

From what I understand, if Seward and Van Helsing arrive at Dracula's location during the day, the fight happens like this at dusk (which counts as night):

1. Dracula, Van Helsing, and Seward all chose their combat card and place them face down.

2. Dracula then chooses which Hunter to attack directly.
a.) The purpose of this is to see which cards cancel each other out, and who takes the brunt of Dracula's attack.
b.) Let's say he chooses Seward in this instance.

3. Cards are flipped, Dracula checks to see if Seward's card cancels his, and vice-versa.
a.) It doesn't matter if Van Helsing's card would cancel or be canceled by anything at this point.

4. Dracula resolves his card against Seward. Seward takes whatever damage or suffers whatever effect.
a.) One of the cards - Claws, I believe - will allow you to damage both at night since the second effect allows you to hit another hunter in the location.

5. Seward AND Van Helsing then resolve their cards. If they are both damage cards, Dracula is damaged by both of them.
a.) If one of the Hunters escapes, Dracula faces the remaining.
b.) If Dracula escapes, he escapes both Hunters.

That is how I interpret group combat at least. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Good Lord, did I ever mess THAT up. I love the method you propose. Every time I've played, it has been 2p - and my wife has played for every one of the Hunters - so it was easy to move sequentially through them. But thematically, this makes so much more sense - and makes sense now with respect to some of the card effects as well. Thanks so much for taking the time to get me straight on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P
United States
Chino Hills
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
No problem, I know it's very confusing at first. I had to read it a few times myself to make sure I had it correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Catley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Just to confirm that Brian P is correct about multiple hunter fights. Also to point out that the Day-Dusk-Night-Dawn sequence is printed on the hunter character sheets, and makes it clear that dusk is night and dawn is day. It saves having to hunt for the rule. For some reason this info isn't printed on Dracula's sheet, even though he's the one with the night effects. I made the same mistake in our first game, and didn't resolve Dracula's night effects at dusk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls