Subject: Is using spades optional? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played many games of this and never came across this, but it looks like the rulebook is not clear on this point: If you get a spade, do you have to use it?

There's a few situations in which you might not want to use a spade you got:

1. If you get a spade for a cult bonus, it's possible all the spaces around you are already what you want them to be.

2. You might want to choose power action 6 even if you only need 1 spade instead of 2, to block it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
I've played many games of this and never came across this, but it looks like the rulebook is not clear on this point: If you get a spade, do you have to use it?

There's a few situations in which you might not want to use a spade you got:

1. If you get a spade for a cult bonus, it's possible all the spaces around you are already what you want them to be.

2. You might want to choose power action 6 even if you only need 1 spade instead of 2, to block it.

I cannot believe you'd have to use a bonus if you don't want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
You can forfeit any spade you get. It is explicitely allowed to take a power action and not use it just to block it for somebody else.

Forfeiting a spade from a cult bonus would be very rare, but ok. Not being able to use such a spade or -as per your quetion- able but not interested is a good indicator that your planning skills leave room for improvement (or that you passed early and your opponents are more evil than you expected devil).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolster IEM
Antarctica
Connecticut
msg tools
mb
how are they more evil? heh, maybe they're more absurdly kind by digging your adjacent hexes to your color

but yea, u can toss aside spades-- Except Riverwalkers, they cannot have anything to do with spades, so no gaining, and even the power action digs are off limits so no denying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seleCT wrote:
how are they more evil? heh, maybe they're more absurdly kind by digging your adjacent hexes to your color

I think he meant a situation where all the hexes you would have used the spade on were stolen and built on by your opponents after you passed. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.