Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Core Worlds» Forums » General

Subject: Why there is explicitly a '0' for zero Actions on the player board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Roitzsch
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, it's not that big of a deal but is there a meaning behind it? Without the '0' I would put the token on the Action area if my actions are gone like I do it with Energy. I don't want to sound like a nitpicker, but maybe the designer had some thoughts about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, that is fine. I was thinking about the opposite. Why isn't there a 0 in the energy track?

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are some cards, or faction abilities in the Galactic Orders expansion, that grant the player an extra action "unless that player's action count is zero." I guess it's easier to say zero instead of "less than 1." This keeps a player from launching a surprise action after passing, then waiting for everyone else to finish their actions, then jumping back in with the gained action. You are forced to get the action while you still have at least one left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
shinkyo wrote:
Sure, it's not that big of a deal but is there a meaning behind it? Without the '0' I would put the token on the Action area if my actions are gone like I do it with Energy. I don't want to sound like a nitpicker, but maybe the designer had some thoughts about it.

I am not sure why they didn't either both have 0's or neither have 0's. But my assumption was that they wanted to make it clear when you are at zero actions because your turn is definitely over at that point. You can still do some actions if you are zero energy, but once you hit zero actions your turn is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Roitzsch
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
shinkyo wrote:

I am not sure why they didn't either both have 0's or neither have 0's. But my assumption was that they wanted to make it clear when you are at zero actions because your turn is definitely over at that point. You can still do some actions if you are zero energy, but once you hit zero actions your turn is over.

Yeah, thought about that. This makes sense, at least a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mumu shanshi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you, with one exception.
ColtsFan76 wrote:
You can still do some actions if you are zero energy, but once you hit zero actions your turn is over.

Sector 0 event: First Blood devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mumushanshi wrote:
I agree with you, with one exception.
ColtsFan76 wrote:
You can still do some actions if you are zero energy, but once you hit zero actions your turn is over.

Sector 0 event: First Blood devil

Which is an expansion item so probably not considered with the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
As you can imagine, this was a late change based on playtesting with the finished graphic design, shortly before going to press.

What happened was that some players would have their Action Marker on the "1" space, and assume that meant they were out of Actions. By having the "0" there, it shows the player that they are not yet out of Actions.

And why didn't we also change the Energy Track? See comments above about "shortly before going to press." laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Roitzsch
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
No, that is fine. I was thinking about the opposite. Why isn't there a 0 in the energy track?

whistle

Because there are 30 Energy Points in a 10x3 array. A '0' would be an extra field so the Energy-Textfield is the Zero. But it would be no problem to make the action bar shorter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.