Fury of Dracula (Third/Fourth Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: I could really use a cards reference text rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casualist
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For quick perusal and discussion, it would be very nice to have the text of all the FoD cards within a single, searcheable text file, and I have half the heart to make one such for the use of my current gaming group (AKA my kids).

Question: would it be illegally inadvisable to post such a file here at BGG in regards to FFG copyrights and suchlike?

Don't want to do anything illegal, but it's a big task for the benefit of just 3 persons.

I suppose (or hope) that copyright lawyers at these message boards are few and far between, but has anything like this previously been tolerated for other, newer games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Why not ask FFG directly? Worst case scenario they say no, then you're in the same position you are now but with knowledge of their policy.

But they may well say yes, especially if you're not including any card art. I know for LCGs they let people show the full card online, but only after a certain amount of time has lapsed since release. I think it's a couple of months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casualist
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Why not ask FFG directly? Worst case scenario they say no, then you're in the same position you are now but with knowledge of their policy
Well, I'm not sure I really want their official stance, as their lawyers would probably automatically advise them to forbid it. I was more interested in knowing whether they usually tolerated such initiatives and whether BGG would allow it. I'm happy that FFG publish their rules online, just wish they'd also publish the rest of it (the rules on the cards, that is).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Casualist wrote:
Orion3T wrote:
Why not ask FFG directly? Worst case scenario they say no, then you're in the same position you are now but with knowledge of their policy
Well, I'm not sure I really want their official stance, as their lawyers would probably automatically advise them to forbid it. I was more interested in knowing whether they usually tolerated such initiatives and whether BGG would allow it. I'm happy that FFG publish their rules online, just wish they'd also publish the rest of it (the rules on the cards, that is).
OK but I don't think they are that protective. As I said, they allow other cards etc to be shown online from their LCGs and those are arguably much more open to abuse as the cards are all people need to reproduce the game.

I don't think anyone here can give you a definite answer so your only choices are to not bother, to put it up and hope they don't mind (i'm sure the worst they would do is ask you to take it down) or you ask them so you know for sure.

I could be wrong, but I honestly think they would say it's OK. FFG seem fairly relaxed when it comes to fans of their games making extra useful content. Seems worth a shot, even if they say no you're not actually in any worse position.

They might even take your idea on board and make an official one, or give yours their blessing with certain conditions attached.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casualist
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... I did, eventually, make the cards reference, and it has been approved into the files section:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/125220/fury-dracula-cards...

Hope that others will find it useful too.

...it's back up in the files section again with improved typesetting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Williams
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, using it.

Thumb up