Subject: Runebound Combat Tokens Replacement Set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like FFG is going to sell replacements for the combat tokens for $4.99.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/runebound/pro...

These are the same tokens as in the base game. Article here:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/11/11/battli...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first reaction is...FFG has gone off the tracks with this. If there was one particularly controversial change in Runebound 3 it was the switch to combat tokens for battling. To market "extra tokens" just highlights the issue again and, furthermore, reminds us that in Runebound 2 that dice worked fine(without buying an FFG add-on).

As a long time Runebound fan I am trying to keep an open mind about the new combat system. Even though I am not a "believer" yet, I am waiting until I actually get my hands on the system and see that it works(not my own copy mind you, I'll try before I buy). I still feel that the old system was fast and simple, but maybe FFG can win me mover. That being said, seeing "extra token" purchase option is not encouraging and pushes me back in the other direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious to see how long it's going to take before they release the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
I'm curious to see how long it's going to take before they release the app.
Ha! Paid app, of course!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
To be fair this is nothing new - they usually do sell extra sets of dice anyway (Descent 2E being a prime example) so all this necessarily shows is that some people might not like having to share tokens and prefer a set per player.

With that in mind, can those who have the game onfirm whether tokens are supplied with abundance (which would suggest these are indeed replacements as the OP suggested, rather than 'extra' as FFG seem to be suggesting) or is there some appeal to having 2 sets just for convenience?

Of course having 2 sets from the start will also spread wear so the 2 reasons for buying aren't independent of each other.

I fully expect dice to follow shortly. I'm just curious whether they will be the same or 'premium' versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is it about this game that makes it a lightning rod for people who want to whine and cry about absolutely everything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ComposerMicrobadge: Game Design HobbyistMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Runebound PBF playerMicrobadge: Writer
jdludlow wrote:
What is it about this game that makes it a lightning rod for people who want to whine and cry about absolutely everything?
I'd say "it's an FFG game", but that's not it. The Warhammer card game has received a great deal of attention too, but it's pretty much all positive. You'd think it might be because this is a new edition to an older game, but due to the major differences, it seems most people have brushed that under the rug and look at 3rd ED as a new game (in fact many of those looking at 3rd never played or disliked 2nd).

I suppose it is possible that FFG simply made some unpopular decisions about Runebound 3rd ED. It happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Level 11 BGG poster
jdludlow wrote:
To answer your rhetorical question...because a number of people loved 2nd edition, spent lots of money on tons of expansions, and feel like an old favorite they're invested in has been tossed aside in favor of a new version that they now need to invest in or abandon and feel left behind.

I grok it.

But, I like the look of R3 and will be one of those old R2 owners who will get passed the angst and try to give the new game a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:

Because we love Runebound and find the new combat system abso-fucking-lutely stupid?

EDIT: Also selling replacement token sets really just confirms the "sweaty-handed gamers will mangle these tokens in no time" problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played Runebound before. But I am exciting for this edition.

and I think that the token system is actually a pro for buying this game,
1) because its something different and new, which sets it apart from all other games in my collection and
2) based on what I know so far, it looks like a really fun and engaging combat system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Better Living Through ChemistryMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Beard fanMicrobadge: Leather Pride
It seems to me that FFG are releasing this not because they think the tokens will become damaged over time, but because they have seen demand for it on these message boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like I have extra sets of X-wing dice, I am happy they are releasing extra tokens.

FFG has rarely disappointed in the past and has gone the quality route (Forbidden starts chincy flags have been their only minus).

Past cases where I may have had a damaged X-wing piece, FFG has always replaced it no questions asked.

I pre-ordered Runebound 3rd Edition and look forward to the new blood in the game. If I don't like it, I still have the 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At only $4.99 (and being completely optional to the game) it's hard to see this as a money grab.

Imperial Assault is a much worse "money grab" to me since they bundle completely optional expensive minis with a handful of new cards.

As for Runebound 2nd edition, the game is quite old and it got more than enough expansions. That game would be just as dead with or without this 3rd edition showing up. I don't believe they ever would have done a new 2nd edition expansion considering what a tiny market there would be for it.

Releasing a product that one expects to be profitable is not a "money grab". It is just good business. If FFG ignores profits, they don't raise enough capital to continue making great games. You don't have to like everything they make to be happy that they are successful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Bruder Tod, zu unserem Gastmahl, steig hervor aus Staub und Erden. Alles Leben ist ein Sterben, alles Sterben ist ein Werden.
Microbadge: Golden-hearted hedgehog fanMicrobadge: Classic Portuguese film fanMicrobadge: Italian Futurists fanMicrobadge: Katherine Switzer fanMicrobadge: Bisexual
My suggestion is always the same: use dice cup to shuffle and cast the tokens. You'll never tear & wear them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going with using a dice cup as well although an App would be absolutely awesome and an instant buy for me.

Personally I am perfectly happy with my 2nd edition stuff and getting 3rd edition. Looking at play and design 2nd edition still looks like the superior solo version of the game. If you think of them as two different games, which they are, you'll be much better off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
So we can put this in context, could someone with the game confirm how plentiful the tokens are?

If there are 'sufficient but players need to keep passing them around so another set would be handy', then this is no more implicit acceptance that the tokens will wear out than when they offer extra dice sets for other games, which they nearly always do.

At the moment people are apparently calling these 'replacements' purely based on their own unsubstantiated assumption that the tokens aren't fit for purpose.

Though of course I expect FFG will eventually offer premium poker-chip style tokens which people could use to tile their bathroom with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
jdludlow wrote:

Because we love Runebound and find the new combat system abso-fucking-lutely stupid?

EDIT: Also selling replacement token sets really just confirms the "sweaty-handed gamers will mangle these tokens in no time" problem.
The tokens are a nutty mechanism, but work really, really well. Lot more interesting decision-wise than those lame dice rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Better Living Through ChemistryMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Beard fanMicrobadge: Leather Pride
Orion3T wrote:
So we can put this in context, could someone with the game confirm how plentiful the tokens are?

If there are 'sufficient but players need to keep passing them around so another set would be handy', then this is no more implicit acceptance that the tokens will wear out than when they offer extra dice sets for other games, which they nearly always do.

At the moment people are apparently calling these 'replacements' purely based on their own unsubstantiated assumption that the tokens aren't fit for purpose.

Though of course I expect FFG will eventually offer premium poker-chip style tokens which people could use to tile their bathroom with.
You basically never need to pass the tokens around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Orion3T wrote:

You basically never need to pass the tokens around.
So, every player has their own set of basic tokens?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PKDuke wrote:
My first reaction is...FFG has gone off the tracks with this. If there was one particularly controversial change in Runebound 3 it was the switch to combat tokens for battling. To market "extra tokens" just highlights the issue again and, furthermore, reminds us that in Runebound 2 that dice worked fine(without buying an FFG add-on).
This is just incredible. People complain that the tokens might get worn. So they make it easy for you to get replacement tokens at a nominal price (before anyone has even played the game or had any problems with wear). Now people complain about that. WTF?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
KY
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played and owned everything for runebound 2nd edition. But the combat was my least favorite part. Looking forward to this change. And it's very cool of them to offer these packs. Now I don't have to tell everyone to baby the tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have any particularly strong feelings either way on this yet. Will see how the tokens hold up, and it's nice to know replacements are available.

But aren't there hero-specific tokens? So, when the expansions start releasing, are they going to need to sell separate replacement kits for each expansion that contains new characters?

And what about item/enemy/skill tokens? Or are they designed in a way that more tokens will never be needed with expansions, just new cards which make use of existing tokens?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
Roll 1d6 and consult the table below.*
badge
*If you encounter the squid in the desert, it is a flying squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugin wrote:
So, every player has their own set of basic tokens?
Yes, and any that you get from gear are yours alone as well.

The only ones that get passed around are the monster tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Judging by the picture there should be either 68 or 75 combat tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian short
United Kingdom
Newcastle
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In 2nd edition extra dice (movement and D10s) reduced the downtime by a lot.
I see extra tokens doing the same in a 4 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |