flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

BGG 2015 Secret Santa !

mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb

Targets are assigned! You can review the information for your target using the link above.

Please read the following list of instructions! - there are a few new things added since last year!

Givers

- ALL Santas are REQUIRED to email proof of gift purchase and shipment to SecretSanta@boardgamegeek.com

Please include your username AND the username of your target in the subject line of the email.

If you purchased online, forward the receipt. If you have physical receipts, scan or take pictures of them and attach them to the email. If there are no receipts for part of the gift, take a picture of the contents of the package and send those.

Why do we request receipts?

When January comes around I will start fielding complaints from participants who did not receive their gifts. Sometimes packages get delayed or lost. As long as we have your proof of purchase and shipment - you are covered! If we receive a complaint AND do not have a record that you sent a gift we will assume the worst. (see below for consequences of failing to meet Secret Santa obligations)

PROTECT YOURSELF - remember to email proof of gift purchase and shipment to SecretSanta@boardgamegeek.com

- -NEW- - PLEASE check your target's profile page for his/her last login date before sending a gift! DO NOT send a gift unless your target's last login date is November 11th or later. Some people register for Secret Santa and then forget about it. If after a few days you see that your target has still not logged in since the targets were assigned please geekmail me.

- The minimum expectation is that you will buy at least one NEW game for your target off of his/her wishlist, with a total cost (including shipping) of at least $50USD.

- If you do more than the minimum - awesome! If you do less, your Secret Santa obligation will be considered unfulfilled (see below for consequences of failing to meet Secret Santa obligations).

- Do whatever you can to ensure that most of the money you spend is spent on the gift rather than shipping! If you have a target from another country, try to purchase from an online store that is close to your target to cut down on shipping costs. Here are some resources to help:

Secret Santa Shipping and Duties/ Buying INFO (info on this list may be out of date - please geekmail me with any updates you are aware of)
BGG 2015 Secret Santa Preferred Stores
Online game stores from around the world
(Retailers - please contact Chad@boardgamegeek.com to be included on the Stores list)

- Do whatever you can to ensure that your target's gift arrives before the end of the year. Don't delay! Better for gifts to arrive early than late. Some countries are particularly notorious for having lengthy delivery times (I'm looking at you, Brazil and Russia) - so if you have a target in one of those countries it is particularly important that you get your gift sent as soon as possible.

- In addition to checking your target's Wishlist, also check his/her profile page. Many folks like to leave notes to Santa there!

- If you want to anonymously give your target some geekgold, geekmail me using the following format, where xxx is the amount of the transfer:

yourusername, -xxx
targetusername, xxx

- if you want to anonymously "taunt" your target or give your target clues or ask for specific information you can use the Santa account:
Secret Santa
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Ho ho ho, Jolly Santa here from the Great White North wishing you a Merry Christmas
badge
Ho ho ho! It tickles when you poke me like that. Don't make me put you on the naughty list!
mbmbmbmbmb

Login: santa
Password: password

The Santa account is a good way to send anonymous messages, but is a poor way to get a response. Ask your target to respond by editing his/her profile page.

- Please remember that interacting with your target in any way beyond sending an appropriate gift is absolutely optional - it is not required or even expected. Around half of Santas tend to be the strong silent type (including yours truly!)

- Consequences of failing to meet the Secret Santa obligations - we treat failing to send an appropriate gift to your target the same way we treat deadbeat traders or Marketplace sellers that do not ship after receiving payment. Such accounts are restricted from participating in any future trades, buying or selling through the Marketplace, geekgold transfers, geeklist participation, and contest participation for as long as they remain in bad standing.

Only a handful of accounts have these restrictions enforced on them due to Secret Santa each year. Don't be one of them! Get your target an appropriate gift and do everything you can to have it delivered in a timely manner. And BE SURE TO EMAIL PROOF OF PURCHASE AND SHIPMENT TO SecretSanta@boardgamegeek.com with your username and your target's username in the subject line.

Recipients:

- post a thank you to your Santa on the 2015 Secret Santa geeklist when you receive your gift!

- wait at least until January 2016 before contacting me about not receiving anything. Shipping can take a while, especially if your Santa is from overseas. I will post an update at the start of January about the process for reporting situations where no gift was received.

- most importantly, remember that the receiving side of Secret Santa is a distant second to the giving. Your Secret Santa experience is a success if you make YOUR target happy. Getting something in return is a fun bonus, but shouldn't be your main focus.

Everyone

Please feel free to geekmail me with any questions or problems. If it's a question you think many people might have, post it in this thread. And above all else, HAVE FUN!

Didn't Make it in to this Secret Santa?
I've created a Second Chance Secret Santa for folks who didn't get into the first one.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekexchange/info/272

PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS IF YOU ARE ALREADY IN THE MAIN ONE

For all intents and purposes it will be treated the same the main exchange, including getting the microbadge after registration has closed on November 18th.

Secret Santa Links

2015 Edition of Look What My Secret Santa Sent Me... (10th Anniversary Edition)

BGG 2015 Secret Santa Preferred Stores
World Wide list of Stores
Secret Santa Shipping and Duties/ Buying INFO (info on this list may be out of date - please geekmail me with any updates you are aware of)
Secret Santa meta-list
2015 BGG Secret Santa "Rate My Wishlist Thread"!
2015 Secret Santa Taunts & Teases
Second Chance Exchange

BGG Secret Santa 2015 Wrap Up - Santas, Grinches, and recruiting Volunteers

With nearly 3000 participants (and any procrastinators that join the Second Chance Secret Santa) this is our biggest Secret Santa to date!

I am looking forward to seeing the amazing feats of generosity and holiday cheer! I love this time of year, and doubly so on The Geek

Happy Holidays everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Johnson
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
Keep Playin'!
badge
I like games. I like Calvin and Hobbes. Oh, but I like games more.
mbmbmbmbmb
YES!!! Let the taunting begin! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oceluna (jueguetistorias)
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yiuuuuuuuuuuuujjuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Thanks so much, Octavian meeple

Taunting begins... arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
And 28 is coming soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
And the taunting begins!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
taunting...Taunting...TAUNTING!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Braden
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SWEET!!!!!!! I CANNOT WAIT TO START THE TAUNT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron D
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome - now to figure out what to send in my first message to my target!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Menezes
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Canadian target, prepare to be taunted! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Henson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wooo, targets!

This is the first time I've gotten a target with a just-registered account, with no posting history or profile. There's an easy wishlist, at least.

That's okay, though! I'll assume the best, that this is just a new BGG-er, newly brought into the fold by the awesomeness that is BGGSS, and shower them with presents and junk from my home town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annabel Seaton
United Kingdom
Portslade Village
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
I sell my handmade dice bags on Etsy - www.dicebags.co.uk
mbmbmbmbmb
Wahoo! :-) Here we go ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do assume the best - especially with New Users! I screen them all first and boot any that stand out as being suspicious before the matches are made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
First time in many years I have an easy target with a great wishlist. I think I will celebrate that with one more gift arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon (Stanza)
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
American target with VERY different tastes than me. Looks like I'll be doing some research on this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
Des Moines Area Boardgamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Santa and Santee here have already had communication!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Henson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Do assume the best - especially with New Users! I screen them all first and boot any that stand out as being suspicious before the matches are made.

Good to know! Never fear, I'll go as whole hog as I always do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanted to put some extra emphasis on two parts from the main post:

Quote:
- -NEW- - PLEASE check your target's profile page for his/her last login date before sending a gift! DO NOT send a gift unless your target's last login date is November 11th or later. Some people register for Secret Santa and then forget about it. If after a few days you see that your target has still not logged in since the targets were assigned please geekmail me.

DO THIS! It will save a lot of headaches

And...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/73279/secret-santa-sh...
This has been an excellent resource, but much of the info is in danger of being out of date (if it isn't already). Please check any info relevant to shipping to YOUR country and geekmail me if you have any updates I can make!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a newish user, no forum posts, no profile. Alas.

They have a wishlist with a solid purchase choice, though, so easy enough. But less fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Henson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Wanted to put some extra emphasis on two parts from the main post:

But... But! Finger quivering over the Amazon order button! I guess I can wait a few days to make sure, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bright
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my target. The closest one to me that I've ever had. No activity on the profile though. Time to do some taunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Metz
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that was stupid of me; I just transferred a pile of GG to Santa to anonymously tip my poor target in order to hook them up with an avatar and I find out Santa can't give out tips Any other way to send anonymous GG?

EDIT: Sigh
Octavian wrote:
- If you want to anonymously give your target some geekgold, geekmail me using the following format, where xxx is the amount of the transfer:

yourusername, -xxx
targetusername, xxx
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shenanigans underway!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olden
Wales
Cardiff
Cardiff
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Schneider
Germany
Stockstadt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My target is a newly registered user. Hasn't logged in in 5 days and lives in one of the countries where I should have started shipping last months to make it in time... Will wait a few days and see if he/she answers my Santas geekmail. Getting excited again, yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loic Mulaire
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I had signed up already and was so excited to see who my target was but apparently I didn't sign up soblue. Guess I'll have to try the 2nd secret santa batch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danijel Ljubas
Croatia
Osijek
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can they see if i go on their profile with my account? Like is there some kind of tracking who visits your profile? I plan on taunting my victim so I don't want to reveal myselfe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [85] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.