Subject: 5 Player Puerto Rico- criticisms? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
People say this game plays best with 4, then 3, and not so well with 5. Can anyone tell me why this is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for one thing the trading house only has four slots, one less than the # of players. And with another player needing ship space, the "Craftsman risk" grows with each player. But now even if you don't take craftsman, the next player might, then captain may hurt you, even though you avoided the craftsman. Much less likely in 4 and 3.

Buildings also disappear quickly, the board will be empty as the game goes on. Game length may increase a bit.

I don't think the 5 player game is horribly worse than the 4p game, but I do prefer 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game is better with five. There are more difficult decisions to be made. The timing of trader, craftsman, and captain roles becomes much more critical, and more importantly, interesting.

With four and especially three, the game goes into easy mode. Do I pick trader? Eh, it doesn't matter. Will I need to choose craftsman to ensure I get the goods I want? Nope, no rush. Captain? Nah, I don't really care who captains, there is plenty of room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it best with 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rutledge
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
I cannot personally vouch for or against playing with three or four people, as the only games I've played have been with five.

But those games I've played with five have been a blast. There's a lot of jockeying and considering and planning ahead that must go on.

I wouldn't be concerned about having fun with five people. Give it a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lewis
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first 5 player game last night, after many 3-4 player games. There were two reasons I prefer 3-4.
1) The game went significantly longer, disproportionate to increase in players. i.e. 3 player games take about an hour, 4 take under an hour and a half, and 5 went on for well over two hours.
2) Because so many people might go before you, there are some turns you simply can't do anything useful. There's a lot more "Damn, every role that helps me is taken, Prospector. Again."

It's stilll fun with 5, but considerably less so for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5 player is a bit more cut-throat as your choices are extremely limited. It also forces players to adapt a bit more instead of going ahead with just one strategy. I like it for a change of pace, though it is longer. I don't see that many runaway leader end results, in fact, I see more closer games with 5 than with less for some reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philewis wrote:
"Damn, every role that helps me is taken, Prospector. Again."

If you are in the situation where all of the available roles benefit other players more than yourself, then you are losing. Prospector is actually one of the best roles to take early in the game. If your quote is from the second half of the game, then you are either winning by such a large amount and trying to handicap yourself, or you have lost.

For what it's worth, I find that there is always at least one person that feels the way you do during our games. Oh well, someone has to be the loser, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its good with any number of players, but I particularly like 5. The early turns ratchet up the importance of decision making even more...and which plantation tiles you choose get more significant earlier. At least to me that's true. Also, building purchases become more scarce, forcing flexibility of strategy. All plus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.