Subject: Any good with 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Harris
United States
Canton
Georgia
flag msg tools
I usually only have 1 other person I primarily play games with and I was wondering if this would be any good (fun/thematic/tense) with just 2 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not the ideal experience, but I'm sure it can be played.
For 2 players, I've seen it recommended to play with 2 characters each, and when one of you is revealed as the traitor then you would pass the non-traitor character over to the other player (who would now control the three non-traitors).

I've never tried it but it sounds like a good solution for 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not really that fun with only 3 players. It's okay, but much more fun with 4 to 6 players. I agree with VonMeister, play with 4 characters, alternating turns, until the traitor is found, then let the good guys control the third character.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Evil begins when you begin to treat people as things
Microbadge: I am a friendly face - I welcome questions from New Users!Microbadge: Terry Pratchett fanMicrobadge: Untappd - Drink SociallyMicrobadge: LoveMicrobadge: food can never be too spicy
VonMeister wrote:
For 2 players, I've seen it recommended to play with 2 characters each, and when one of you is revealed as the traitor then you would pass the non-traitor character over to the other player (who would now control the three non-traitors).

This. It wouldn't work with only 2 characters, so this would be the best solution.

But somehow it's less interesting with only two players. Not sure why though:
1. I love Letters from Whitechapel better with 2 than with more which would come down to a similar construction of one persion versus the others
2. I usually hate co-operative gameplay as I'm not a co-operative type. Exemptions are Arkham Horror and Betrayal, well, it's a bit co-op if you are not the traitor.

I think it is something in the storytelling that makes it more interesting with more players. And working together against one traitor is actually an interesting part of Betrayal, in contrary to Whitechapel where it's mostly a puzzle of deduction, which I'd rather do alone. In Betrayal it's much more than just a puzzle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
VonMeister wrote:

My wife and I play this way and quite enjoy it. Very thematic, but plays in a fairly short amount of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll work

But I would not recommend buying this game with teh purpose of predominantly playing it with two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls