Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
Microbadge: Microbadgus Designum Ex ProfessoMicrobadge: This is the 10,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: This is the 20,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: This is the 30,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: My microbadging days are behind me - I'm just enjoying the view from here on out
1) An awesome book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

2) Microbadge: I'm an Introvert: I like getting my energy from dealing with the ideas, pictures, memories, and reactions that are inside my head, in my inner world. I often prefer doing things alone or with one or two people I feel comfortable with.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't both correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
qzhdad wrote:
Aren't both correct?
You're an extrovert, arent' you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Trinidad
Colorado
flag msg tools
Learn from the past, look to the future.
badge
One of these things is not like the others.
Microbadge: Star Wars: Lightsaber - Darth MaulMicrobadge: Star Wars: Lightsaber - SithMicrobadge: Star Wars: Lightsaber - InquisitorsMicrobadge: Star Wars: Lightsaber - Kylo RenMicrobadge: Star Wars: Darksaber
The Western World is terrified of silence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
qzhdad wrote:
Aren't both correct?
You're an extrovert, arent' you?
Guilty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is a vert, and how do you get inside one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
Microbadge: Microbadgus Designum Ex ProfessoMicrobadge: This is the 10,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: This is the 20,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: This is the 30,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: My microbadging days are behind me - I'm just enjoying the view from here on out
Drew1365 wrote:
jeRm! wrote:
Intriguing construction.

Nature abhors a vacuum...

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I love being around people: team projects at work, crowded bars, parties, holiday gatherings, and obviously gaming. But I also value (and require) some "alone time." I don't mind going to see a movie alone (after all, I'm there to watch the movie, not to socialize). I enjoy being alone on long drives in my car. I play solo games. I like to flop down on the futon and read old comic books. I don't mind spending time at the mall alone. I can sit at a bar alone for hours and watch sports. I guess my mood determines whether I'm an introvert or extrovert at any moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Agatha Raisin TV series, adapted from stories by MC BeatonMicrobadge: Fan of Volition GamesMicrobadge: PescatarianMicrobadge: Starsiege and Starsiege: Tribes FanMicrobadge: Fan of Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries
An interesting essay, Drew, but I think it misses a point. Or dodges it, I guess.

Quote:
Not for nothing does "gregarious" mean "part of the herd." But Thoreau understood that securing one's self-possession was worth a few wounded feelings. He may have put his neighbors off, but at least he was sure of himself. Those who would find solitude must not be afraid to stand alone.
...people who 'put their neighbors off' but are 'sure of themselves' as a result of their isolation tend to be those who don't have much in the way of successful careers or leadership achievements.

IE., I'd say I can very much related to the concept of 'never being alone' as a desirable state, and always interacting with others as a goal... but it's not because of being well-indoctrinated to being unable to find use of time alone. Rather, that I feel compelled to be ALWAYS WORKING - always doing something productive - and the most possible productive thing one can do entirely on their own is but a tiny and uninteresting fraction of what can be done as part of a group.

So the need to be 'always on' and 'always connected' has nothing to do with a desire for validation, so much as any such validation leads to useful networking opportunities or building of teams or relationships. Heck, even my time spent boardgaming I mentally justify by knowledge of the importance of keeping a mind exercised with new challenges, as well as the social networking aspects of it in relationship-building.

I think the general social aversion to introverts actually parallels a bit the general apathy many adults HAVE to gaming, in fact. "Isn't that kids stuff?" certainly a refrain we've all heard more than once. The problem isn't a cultural obsession with personal celebrity...so much as a strong revulsion to wasted time - time spent not 'working' or doing something otherwise productive (including networking and building new relationships). And people off on their own, doing their own thing... sure look to an extrovert like people wasting their time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Feudal fanMicrobadge: Helionox: The Last Sunset fanMicrobadge: Pocket Landship fanMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Hnefatafl fan
DKahnt wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
jeRm! wrote:
Intriguing construction.

Nature abhors a vacuum...

-DK
Silence does not equal a vacuum, though.

Just like darkness, or the lack of aromas in the air doesn't equal a vacuum.

One of my pet peeves is the "Oh, the TV is just on for background noise." I say turn off the TV and talk to each other, or read a book, or play a game, etc.

I'm an introvert and I enjoy talking with others, but I'm not going to compete with the TV, or shout louder than the other guy to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fire Lord
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your "wasting time" is my fulfillment.

I get that many things require a group to create, but that doesn't mean great things aren't created solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
jeRm! wrote:
Yeah. I'm not Buddhist but I have to admire guys like this monk. What American even understands where this guy is at - much less could sit still for even a minute like this?:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite activity is just doing nothing by myself. I could sit and stare at a wall for hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
My favorite activity is just doing nothing by myself. I could sit and stare at a wall for hours.
Ah, yeah. The DMV waiting room has its uses.
That involves people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Miniature PainterMicrobadge: Name that tune!Microbadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Rhode Island
Every day I make a deliberate effort not to appear to my neighbors as a "creepy loner."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go a little bit farther and expand/clarify the definition, at least for me — it's not merely that I'm energized by alone time, but that socializing requires a much greater amount of energy from me than I observe it requiring from other people. For example, a really long social event with many people involved can sometimes leave me completely exhausted, both mentally and physically, sometimes even to the point where I am not able to function well the following day. I often think of this condition as "people poisoning", because that's how it feels to me. On some occasions this will happen in the middle of an event, and I suddenly find myself unable to act positive or hold up a conversation, even on topics that I am enthusiastic about; this is always a very unpleasant experience and a bit embarrassing.

I have learned over the years to "hoard" social energy and be sure that I have gas in the tank when there is an event that I want to do well at.

Anyone else have this experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
jbrecken wrote:
Every day I make a deliberate effort not to appear to my neighbors as a "creepy loner."
Coincidentally, Mrs. Kravitz had the same goal.
Lennys mum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Follower of JesusMicrobadge: We're all mad about JonnaMicrobadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: Tenderness and kindness are manifestations of strength and resolutionsMicrobadge: 2019 Women & Gaming Holiday Card Exchange Participant
I am extremely introverted and shy. However, I have learned that:
-nobody cares about me being shy/introverted
-people crave and expect a happy, friendly & talkative person
-you are labeled as anything from "weird" to "arrogant" when you are not talkative

:shrugs:

I could live days without speaking and hate the telephone and TV. I don't put the radio on in the car because it's the only place where it's quiet. Stores and shopping malls have music on all the time and doctor's office waiting rooms usually have a TV on very loud. I love the quiet and relish it. So, there!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Microbadge: Look up at the starsMicrobadge: and not down at your feet.Microbadge: Try to make sense of what you see,Microbadge: and wonder about what makes the universe exist.Microbadge: Be curious. - Stephen Hawking
I've known people who honestly thought introverts were anti-social.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Microbadge: Look up at the starsMicrobadge: and not down at your feet.Microbadge: Try to make sense of what you see,Microbadge: and wonder about what makes the universe exist.Microbadge: Be curious. - Stephen Hawking
Gola wrote:
Anyone else have this experience?
I can talk about my experience with introversion.

Both my wife and I are introverts. The big difference being the nature of our jobs. I work as a letter carrier, and my wife is a nurse.

So for me, I spend six-seven hours a day on my route with virtually no human interaction. And that which I do get lasts no more than a couple minutes. And the time I spend in the office is relatively solitary as well.

My wife on the other hand is dealing with people for her whole shift, and moreover it is stressful and demanding, and has high consequences.

The result is that when I get home from work I am ready and looking forward to socializing with her.

On the other hand when she gets home from work she is exhausted, and needs space and time alone to recharge.

Even though I know this intellectually, it doesn't make it any easier for me emotionally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, most people call themselves "introverts" not because they are energized by solitude, but as an excuse as to why they aren't successful in this world.

"I'm an introvert. Since I don't like talking on the phone or interacting with people, this world has forced that I have to work part time at the library dusting off shelves for minimum wage.*" No, it's not because you're an introvert; it's because you're lazy. (And I say lazy because the next statement is usually "Why isn't the government canceling my student loans/giving me money/etc?" If you have made peace with a reduced lifestyle to go along with reduced interaction, have at it.)

Extroverts aren't the only ones using the wrong terms.

*NOTE: This is not hyperbole. I've heard that from someone, and variations thereof, from several of my (not not coincidental) millennial friends

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Coase wrote:
In my experience, most people call themselves "introverts" not because they are energized by solitude, but as an excuse as to why they aren't successful in this world.
Epic fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Coase wrote:

"I'm an introvert. Since I don't like talking on the phone or interacting with people, this world has forced that I have to work part time at the library dusting off shelves for minimum wage.*" No, it's not because you're an introvert; it's because you're lazy. (And I say lazy because the next statement is usually "Why isn't the government canceling my student loans/giving me money/etc?" If you have made peace with a reduced lifestyle to go along with reduced interaction, have at it.)

Extroverts aren't the only ones using the wrong terms.

*NOTE: This is not hyperbole. I've heard that from someone, and variations thereof, from several of my (not not coincidental) millennial friends
If you and your friends are saying this, then you are obviously extroverts. We introverts understand; we're used to people not understanding us.

Introversion is a real thing.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/beautiful-minds/will-the...

Nine Signs You're Really an Introvert | Psychology Today
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/fulfillment-any-age/201...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Microbadge: Offline from The Geek for a while
Coase wrote:
If you would have made this accusation about extroverts, about 75 of them would have already called you out for being an asshole by now.
You're lucky the introverts are so overly non-confrontational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |