Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
Microbadge: Evolution of a GeekMicrobadge: Evolution of a GeekMicrobadge: Evolution of a GeekMicrobadge: Evolution of a GeekMicrobadge: Dudeist
disclaimer:
- I'm totally okay with the marketing model ($ for base game + $ for new content)
- I'm totally okay with the dvd-player comparison
- I'm totally okay with the no-replayability issue - once solved, forever solved
- I'm totally okay with the price (50$ for ONE nice evening with my friends? it's definitely worth for me!)
- We had fun (nothing overwhelming here, but good ol' fun) playing the game, and I'll probably buy all upcoming modules

so - what, you may ask, is my problem then? well, look at the base game (the "console", if you will), and what you really need of it. ("need" defined as = required for playing the modules and not already lying around in every gamer's home)

content:
- a counting bar from 1 to 60 on the board (check.)
- lots of space to lie cards on it (really? check.)
- some generic pawns in 4 colours (check.)
- some generics chits in 4 colours (check.)
- some generic shield chits (well - discussable. "generic" neads an easy workaround)
- 24 clue markers (non-generic!)

so - the only gaming material you REALLY need for playing the modules are 24 clue markers. the base game is 50$, the module 25$, one module included: leads to 25$ für 24 clue markers. I think, this is too much.

on the other hand: I really dig the design. so I have now an overpriced, but beautiful design base game. feel like an apple user now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Schuijers
Netherlands
Uden
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 03 BGG poster
But when someone pays $100 for a painting or a concert, it's okay.

My point: Stop complaining about the price: Boardgames are expensive. If you're not in to the pricing of a game, don't buy it.

Geez. It's just money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call him
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: RespectMicrobadge: Listening to Perfect InformationMicrobadge: 2015 "100 games X 1 challenge" participantMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: The Dice Tower fan
The good news is that, if you want to try the game on the cheap, you could buy a used copy of the Asylum deck. I expect in a few months there'll be people practically giving them away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 7 Wonders Duel fan - MilitaryMicrobadge: Kingdom Death: Monster fanMicrobadge: Tzolk'in fan - Crystal Skull Microbadge: Eldritch Horror fanMicrobadge: Silver Image Uploader
SpiritReacher wrote:

My point: Stop complaining about the price: Boardgames are expensive. If you're not in to the pricing of a game, don't buy it.

Geez. It's just money.
Fyi, when to back up your argument you have to compare the price of a board game to other entertainment mediums, like concert tickets (on the high-end price spectrum, no less) or movie tickets (yeah, great art and all, but somehow I'm not convinced that Time Stories has comparable budget & production values to Avengers 2), this just means you have already conceded the point. And no, (most) boardgames are relatively cheap compared to the entertainment value they offer.

When I see someone claiming that the experience that Time Stories offers is so good that it's worth the $45 for 4-5 hours of gameplay, this either means that it's the best game of all time and offers 100x the experience of the second best boardgame, or that we each ripped off the producer of every boardgame in our collection that has seen 20-30 plays, for a couple hundred bucks.

That being said, the amount of time a play-through of each story takes, combined with the fact that the components are kept intact and not destroyed like in Legacy games, makes Time Stories the perfect game for a boardgame café or similar place to own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I ♥ Nikki ValensMicrobadge: Level 18 BGG posterMicrobadge: Caylus fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Feminism
Nothing much to say, but to add my voice to the choir: I'm fine with this game and its pricing model. I'd prefer a bit more replayability, but in extreme cases (new experiences) I'm willing to bend that preference.

I don't feel swindled in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What I miss in the OP's calculation is the price for the development and playtesting of the basic game.

And one can't say that components that are included, but could be substituted with something generic, shouldn't cost money. They are there and did cost money to produce, so they can't be given away for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
Microbadge: One Night Ultimate Werewolf fanMicrobadge: Ticket to Ride fanMicrobadge: Cosmic Encounter fan
I'm fan of TIME Stories but I agree with the first post, I'm somewhat ok with adventure pricing as long as they are high quality and innovative, but initial cost honestly feels too high. I would've preferred two adventures in base box and 50% off second ones price (so 60$ for base with two cases) or something like that, but it is what it is..
At least it's better than Pandemic Legacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
SpiritReacher wrote:

They're not. On a hours of enjoyment x people enjoying it per dollar, they're one of the cheapest forms of entertainment around. So cheap that people will buy 50+ games a year, play most of them just 2-3 times and still be happy. Time Stories is more on par with other entertainment options, which makes it expensive for a board game.

kostool13 wrote:

Fyi, when to back up your argument you have to compare the price of a board game to other entertainment mediums, like concert tickets (on the high-end price spectrum, no less) or movie tickets (yeah, great art and all, but somehow I'm not convinced that Time Stories has comparable budget & production values to Avengers 2), this just means you have already conceded the point.
But then you've chosen one of the most expensive movies ever made. Paranormal Activity cost $15k to make, so probably lower production values than Time Stories. Tickets to see it in the cinema were the exact same price as they were for Avengers 2. Does that make it a rip-off? Obviously I've taken the example from the opposite end, most films are somewhere in the middle.

Quote:
When I see someone claiming that the experience that Time Stories offers is so good that it's worth the $45 for 4-5 hours of gameplay, this either means that it's the best game of all time and offers 100x the experience of the second best boardgame, or that we each ripped off the producer of every boardgame in our collection that has seen 20-30 plays, for a couple hundred bucks.
That's if you value your entertainment on a linear scale. I have a job and responsibilities, which means I don't get to choose between spending 4-5 hours with Time Stories, or 400-500 hours with another game. I just don't have that 500 hours. In a given month, I might just have that 5 hours to devote to board games. And in that time, I'd rather play the best thing available to me. So it only needs to be a bit 'better' than other games to justify the price.

And for similar reasons, I'll still go and see a band I love play on tour, even though it's 3x more expensive per hour than even Time Stories, and probably isn't 3x as much fun, but is a little bit more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
Microbadge: Evolution of a GeekMicrobadge: Evolution of a GeekMicrobadge: Evolution of a GeekMicrobadge: Evolution of a GeekMicrobadge: Dudeist
SpiritReacher wrote:

Geez. It's just money.
Well, if my OP was the equivalent to "I just bought the new iphone, paid much money and am happy about my purchase, but I think it's overpriced for what it is", then your answer corresponds to "stop complainig, mobiles are expensive". Which would be a completely wrong and not helpful answer.

On the other hand, I didn't ask for help so cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
Anarchosyn wrote:
Nothing much to say, but to add my voice to the choir: I'm fine with this game and its pricing model. I'd prefer a bit more replayability, but in extreme cases (new experiences) I'm willing to bend that preference.

I don't feel swindled in any way.
+1 (see my disclaimer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
Young, rich and sexy wrote:
What I miss in the OP's calculation is the price for the development and playtesting of the basic game.

And one can't say that components that are included, but could be substituted with something generic, shouldn't cost money. They are there and did cost money to produce, so they can't be given away for free.
Yeah, sure, you're right. Guess I'm only disappointed that I get so much generic stuff for my money.

There's somewhere a post of a guy presenting his DIY copy. I was kind offended by such a blatant piracy presentation. In the meantime I agree that the temptation to proxy is bigger here than anywhere else. I guess the power of this temptation is somehow connected to the "generic stuff vs. price" ratio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Schuijers
Netherlands
Uden
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 03 BGG poster
Perhaps I voiced myself poorly: Yes, compared to some boardgames it's pretty overpriced. Agreed. But I don't like to "compare". I just pay my money for a product: And when I'm "done" with a product, I want to feel happy and not ripped off. For now: The two scenarios enjoyed me and 3 friends for 10-11 hours and gave us a great time.

Perhaps some mediums would give an experience of "great time" cheaper, but I just really liked the system of the game, the storystelling, the everything. I'm sure this game will become niche. But to get back to phones, why buy a 600€ phone when you can buy a €200 phone? Well, because it's more style. Same goes for this game.

Although: Yes, I agree that this game would've been better if it were €10 cheaper. Would be even worth more it's money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kortnee York
United States
Russell Springs
KY
flag msg tools
SHOOT HER!
badge
Spared no expense.
Microbadge: The Great Dinosaur Rush fanMicrobadge: Jurassic Park fanMicrobadge: "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."Microbadge: Evolution: The Beginning fanMicrobadge: Dinosaur Island fan
I think the MSRP for the game is a bit excessive. But I didn't pay MSRP, I can't tell you the last time I paid MSRP for a board game. The $32.99 I spent for it from CSI is much more reasonable. If we spend say... 5 hours solving the first case then the time spent per hour of entertainment is a good value to me. Besides this really seems like the type of game that will generate some good stories about the gameplay. I can definitely see why this has been the subject of debate though.

I'm so intrigued by the concept of this and the idea of the modules that assuming my first game goes pretty well, I am already emotionally committed to giving them my money, haha. The next two concepts after the Marcy Case seem right up my alley.

Also to my earlier point, I've bought a lot of games that were overpriced MSRP-wise for what I get. So I am glad CSI and Cardhaus have pretty significant discounts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: St Louis Blues fanMicrobadge: Claustrophobia fanMicrobadge: Earth Reborn fanMicrobadge: Core Space fanMicrobadge: Ding & Dent Podcast
I think the main thing here is that you're paying for development costs and artwork. Buying the base game instead of proxying is a conscious decision to make in order to support the team behind this and help persuade them to continue to make future stories. To see this game succeed for multiple years people need to be paying money for it, including the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle Farm
New Zealand
flag msg tools
woodoo03 wrote:
content:
- a counting bar from 1 to 60 on the board (check.)
- lots of space to lie cards on it (really? check.)
- some generic pawns in 4 colours (check.)
- some generics chits in 4 colours (check.)
- some generic shield chits (well - discussable. "generic" neads an easy workaround)
- 24 clue markers (non-generic!)
Turning this around, it looks like it would be pretty easy to produce a print and play version of the core game so you could then just buy scenarios second hand.

The official rules are available free online.

The official developers kit seems to include the patterns you need to make the markers and other chits, and is available free online.

For those who are struggling with the initial price point, this may provide a work around until you are convinced.

Cam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Escoffery
Switzerland
Geneva
Confignon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Imhotep of Heliopolis (2650-2600 BC) - first named engineer, architect and physician in history - inventor of the pyramid and progenitor of the medical treatiseMicrobadge: Alan Moore fanMicrobadge: Star Trek: Fleet Captains fanMicrobadge: Neil Degrasse Tyson fanMicrobadge: CERN (Genève) fan
No single run game should ever cost that much and I am not going to be fooled by this marketing. I hope this NEVER becomes a trend. At least with the Sherlock Holmes games you get multiple scenarios/missions/mysteries in that box... costing less. Comparing this to a group of friends going out and spending 50 bucks is some foolishness.

What magician do they have working in their marketing department? And don't be fooled by reviewers recommending this game if they received free copies.

This is all very FFGish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
Microbadge: So Very Wrong About Games fanMicrobadge: Dream Theater fanMicrobadge: AH LCG - The MysticMicrobadge: Stephen King fanMicrobadge: Cooperative Games fan
BruceBelafonte wrote:
No single run game should ever cost that much and I am not going to be fooled by this marketing. I hope this NEVER becomes a trend. At least with the Sherlock Holmes games you get multiple scenarios/missions/mysteries in that box... costing less. Comparing this to a group of friends going out and spending 50 bucks is some foolishness.

What magician do they have working in their marketing department? And don't be fooled by reviewers recommending this game if they received free copies.

This is all very FFGish.
If the quality matches TIME Stories, the cost is definitely worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Schmoll
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Android: Netrunner fan - JintekiMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Cosmic Encounter - I like OrangeMicrobadge: Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game FanMicrobadge: Coffee addict
Just saying, this is a challenging discussion to have. We each work/earn our money in different ways. I guarantee I value different things than every previous poster and every poster who will say something after me.

If I feel this is worth it, I will buy it. It's my money, it's my choice. We can break down what movies cost and concerts and other games, but I feel as though it's different for everyone, so ultimately it seems we're attempting to justify why or why we don't feel something is worth our time/money.

If you feel as though it's not worth your money, don't buy it. If enough people agree, companies will stop making games like this.

If you do, go ahead and buy it and enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Escoffery
Switzerland
Geneva
Confignon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Imhotep of Heliopolis (2650-2600 BC) - first named engineer, architect and physician in history - inventor of the pyramid and progenitor of the medical treatiseMicrobadge: Alan Moore fanMicrobadge: Star Trek: Fleet Captains fanMicrobadge: Neil Degrasse Tyson fanMicrobadge: CERN (Genève) fan
BruceBelafonte wrote:

This is all very FFGish.
And then to my understanding you don't even get a complete game with each module. It's just a single chapter. How many modules must you buy before you actually find out what the point of the whole game is? I take back all the trash I talked about my beloved Eldritch Horror because this has stepped right over that. When everyone finishes this game and tells me that it was the best gaming experience ever then I'll look at the total price of the entire thing and decide on it. But I think it's gonna be like when I sat around waiting for everyone to tell me if the payoff of LOST was worth the investment. But this is 50 for the 'pilot' and 25 for each episode after. Actually it's not the price as in I can't afford it. It's the price as in I pay the same thing or a tad bit more for boxes that contain years of gaming and unless this game is better than all of those and has more game inside I can't see it being worth it. Yes I know you have your opinion. And here is mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
Microbadge: So Very Wrong About Games fanMicrobadge: Dream Theater fanMicrobadge: AH LCG - The MysticMicrobadge: Stephen King fanMicrobadge: Cooperative Games fan
BruceBelafonte wrote:

And then to my understanding you don't even get a complete game with each module. It's just a single chapter. How many modules must you buy before you actually find out what the point of the whole game is?
The Asylum scenario is a self-contained story. I don't know if there is an over-arching story, but I haven't heard anything pointing to each scenario being a chapter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
Microbadge: My wife buys me board games!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Legendary fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Retired
BruceBelafonte wrote:
And then to my understanding you don't even get a complete game with each module. It's just a single chapter. How many modules must you buy before you actually find out what the point of the whole game is?
What's the source that informs your understanding? I haven't seen anything that indicates each case isn't complete.

I think I've spotted something in The Marcy Case that might hint that a story arc is running, but both cases so far stand as self contained (and complete) stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goat Goatington
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Cow
badge
Microbadge: I love AnimeeplesMicrobadge: I like to play NEW games
Scooperman wrote:
What's the source that informs your understanding? I haven't seen anything that indicates each case isn't complete.

I think I've spotted something in The Marcy Case that might hint that a story arc is running, but both cases so far stand as self contained (and complete) stories.
The cases so far are self contained stories but there are hints in the game that there will be a larger story. I guess the TV analogy would be each case is a monster of the week episode but there will be a longer plot on top of it all. It's not like the game leaves a cliffhanger at the end of the case and says 'come back next time for more' though.

Asylum spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The item you get from the statue at the end is clearly part of something larger. The card even says something along the lines of "keep this for a future unknown purpose". If you missed it:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Item 27 I think

Of course, they could just be gathered for a future Easter egg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Escoffery
Switzerland
Geneva
Confignon
flag msg tools
badge
Scooperman wrote:
BruceBelafonte wrote:

The SHut Up and Sit Down video review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Golden Retriever loverMicrobadge: RPG Geek of the Week!Microbadge: Sam & Max fanMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
woodoo03 wrote:
I think, this is too much.
Then, of course, don't buy it.

OP's isn't the only criticism about game components. I regularly read BGG'ers who dismiss the cost of miniatures and would prefer a less expensive game with tokens. Naturally, they don't buy the game, either.

TIME doesn't have a monopoly on "point and click" boardgames, so maybe we'll see another boardgame that's just as good at a lower price point. You have plenty of TIME to wait, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
jospanther wrote:
Just saying, this is a challenging discussion to have. We each work/earn our money in different ways. I guarantee I value different things than every previous poster and every poster who will say something after me.
Absolutely this. If you buy just a few board games a year and play them to death is this worth it? No way.

If you buy loads of games, and most only get 2-3 plays anyway, is it worth it? Totally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls