Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Level 18 BGG posterMicrobadge: Warhammer Quest forever!Microbadge: "TCAT" - Member of the Twin Cities Ameritrash GroupMicrobadge: Space Hulk fanMicrobadge: Con of the North attendee
In response to another post on this game page, I'd rather see what fans of GW products and games have to say.

I'm really jazzed at the recent direction GW is going and hoping it continues. If many gamers are buying these games just for the minis, that's fine. I'll be buying these to play the game in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yes I agree that there new direction is exciting. All I really want is a fun simple game that lets me play with beautiful miniatures. Age of Sigmar, Assasinorum Execution Force, and now Horus Heresy all do that very well. No more giant rulebooks with tons of FAQs and errata.

The mechanics in The new Horus Heresy game remind me a lot of memoir 44 but without the restrictive card orders. Im very glad that they chose to make it hex based instead of using rulers. There are two main hurdles to getting non wargamers to try their games... assembling minis and measuring distances. It doesn't matter how simple the games rules are if you have to measure distances to play its just too intimidating for some players.

The thing I'm most interested to know is how varied the mission objectives are...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Waiting for the "game bubble."
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting on Second Edition Warhammer Age of Sigmar Quest! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a long time GW fan. I started my gaming 16 years ago with Mage Knight and moved into 40k shortly thereafter. I played 40k for many years and started branching out into other wargames and miniature board games (have to have minis) in the past 6 years. The branching out was due to rising costs from GW, less local interest, and lack of balance issues that have arisen with 7th edition (I still really like 40k and play, I will never sell my Dark Angels that I've had for 15 years).

Based on my last sentence, my spending on GW products has fallen to near zero unless it is for a codex or an army that I play religiously. With kids, miniature war/boardgames seem to be the way to go due to time issues.

I for one am excited for this (more so for the board game itself, not use for 30/4k)! The Horus Heresy fluff is rich and vast, with many different legions and characters. The 30k game from forgeworld is prohibitively pricy to get into large games. This game lets anyone enter the 30k universe with a threefold use:

1. collect/display minis
2. the game itself
3. use minis for 30k/40k

The game looks to be the quality of Space Hulk with fast, violent, strategic play. I don't say this much these days but kudos GW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited for the gameplay too. I pre-order a bits set containing just the Rulebook, cards, boards and such, and will use the many other sci-fi minis I have to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl dunfield
msg tools
how do you order just a bits kit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
Coalville
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Raiders of the Game Cupboard attendeeMicrobadge: Legendary fan - S.H.I.E.L.D. TeamMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Nations fan - Envy my booksMicrobadge: You've been Caked
razor001 wrote:
eBay I imagine.

There are going to be plenty of people buying this for the miniatures alone, who will be wanting to make back some of the money by flogging the parts they don't need. If you have plenty of figures already, it would be a very sensible way to try the game out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Already see one ebay seller offering essentially "everything but the minis" (dice, tiles, rules, cards... but no box) for $25 shipped here http://goo.gl/ERU5rH

Not too unreasonable (the 12 dice would probably be $10-15 on their own, if GW sold them separately).

I imagine he's bought into the minis for his own armies, or will sell the overage and make a tidy sum to make it worthwhile.

P.S. Is it okay to link to that ebay offer? If not, let me know. I am not well-versed in the linking arts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
razor001 wrote:
I got mine from here:
http://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/betrayal-at-calth-rule-bookboar...

AND Bits and kits notified me today that my order shipped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
Coalville
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Raiders of the Game Cupboard attendeeMicrobadge: Legendary fan - S.H.I.E.L.D. TeamMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Nations fan - Envy my booksMicrobadge: You've been Caked
For anyone in the UK, I found a copy of the rules, boards, dice & cards HERE for only £8! For that sort of price I'll play anything once!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls