Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skull & Shackles – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Impossible Bottle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Neff

Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need help with the timing and use of Impossible Bottle. If you display it next to your ship can you then later discard it? In general, how do you correctly use this item?
Thanks, Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Impossible Bottle wrote:
Display this card. Reduce Structural damage dealt to your ship by 2. Discard this card if your ship wrecks or is banished.

Bury this card to repair your ship or to recharge 1d4+1 random cards from your discard pile.

After playing this card, succeed at a Craft 9 check to recharge this card instead of discarding or burying it.
So, if you use the 1st Power, you display the card. From then one, you reduce any Structural damage dealt to your ship by 2. But, if at any time you ship gets wrecked, you have to discard the Impossible Bottle.

Let's say you display it. A few turns after that, you ship is dealt 2 Structural damage. No problem, the Impossible Bottle takes care of that. A few turns later, your ship is dealt 5 Structural damage. The Impossible Bottle reduces that by 2, and as a group you discard 3 cards to reduce it to 0. All good. A few turns after that your ship is deal 10 Structural damage. The Impossible Bottle reduces it by 2, but you don't have a way to reduce the remaining 8. Your ship is wrecked. You (the one who played the Impossible Bottle) pick up the Impossible Bottle. You can then attempt the Craft 9 recharge check. If you succeed, you put the Impossible Bottle on the bottom of your character deck. If you fail, you put it in your discard pile.

You would also discard it if your ship was banished, which is most likely from seizing another ship. You could attempt the recharge check then too.

And totally separately, you can bury it to repair your ship or heal some cards, and again attempt the recharge check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you display the card, can you later decide to bury it for its bury powers?

I would think not, because to play a card, it has to come from your hand unless otherwise specified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct in your thinking. Once it is displayed, you can not bury it from its displayed position. Of course, if your ship is wrecked or banished and you discard/recharge it, if you get it back into your hand again you can bury it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
You are correct in your thinking. Once it is displayed, you can not bury it from its displayed position. Of course, if your ship is wrecked or banished and you discard/recharge it, if you get it back into your hand again you can bury it.
Realizing I've been playing this wrong :/ Next go around I'll be playing Oloch, and was well aware how display worked for him, but for some reason I thought I could activate the bury power while it was displayed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls