Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shield vs retaliate and suffer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T Owen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

When I read the rule book for Shield, it states that it reduces incoming attack values [ ie damage dealt directly by an attack in my own words].

Retaliate has been around, but trying out the Cragheart we really noticed that he does a lot of area of effect style damage where it is "suffered" and not dealt directly from an attack. This is very similar to how Retaliate also works.

Here is my first question; Does Shield stop "suffered" damage or does "suffered" damage bypass Shield?

I want to say Retaliate and any other damage that is automatically "Suffered" bypasses Shields based on the wording used in the example of combat on p13. In that example, the Shield modifier is applied and then the rule book states that the remaining damage is "Suffered". This is what leads me to believe there is a bypass.

Lastly, given all this, Damage Traps "deal" damage according to language in the rulebook. However, the Trap damage is not labeled as an attack nor is the damage just "Suffered", it is "dealt".

Here is my second question; Does Shield stop this damage?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You have it correct.

As Shield only reduces attack damage, it does not reduce damage suffered directly through retaliate or other effects like the Cragheart or traps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Owen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If traps do bypass Shield(s), may I suggest that Trap damage terminology use the language of "suffer damage" instead of "dealt" damage for consistency sake?

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickersham
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Follow up on this. Does this mean retaliate does not draw an attack modifier card? It just straight up deals it's damage number whatever it is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Klein
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wickershamb wrote:
Follow up on this. Does this mean retaliate does not draw an attack modifier card? It just straight up deals it's damage number whatever it is?
That is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kolarius wrote:
Wickershamb wrote:
That is correct.
But the damage dealt by the retaliate buff does gets decreased by the ammount of shields the enemy has, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Klein
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
rashktah wrote:
kolarius wrote:
Wickershamb wrote:
That is correct.
But the damage dealt by the retaliate buff does gets decreased by the ammount of shields the enemy has, right?
No. See page 25:

Quote:
A “Shield X” bonus ability give the target a defender’s bonus that reduces any incoming attack
value by X. Multiple shield bonuses stack with one another. Shield only applies to damage
caused by an attack.
Retaliate is not an attack. See page 26:
Quote:
Multiple retaliate bonuses stack
with one another, and retaliate itself is not an attack.
The way Retaliate works is similar to how traps work: Deals damage directly, no modifiers, no Shield. You just subtract the damage from the figure's health (or lose cards, in case of characters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Häusler
Germany
Donauwörth
flag msg tools
mbmb
ok wanted to ask the same question and found the answer.

thx for the topic and the answer!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluis Fontanella Borras
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Thx for the question and answer, had exactly the same one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls