Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel
United States
Triangle Area
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was not interested when this first came out. I already have descent and it don't hit the table that much. When FFG dropped the dust line, I was really hoping they would replace it with a Star Wars "Dust Like" game. Where you buy figure packs that offer unique weapons and ability's build an army and go at it. But I guess this is going to be there only miniature troop game.

I am wondering if the skirmish mode is as close as I can get. From what I can tell is you field units instead of squads. You still have heroes. Looks like they are starting to add more tanks. I just wondering how it feels playing a combat game on a board like that. Not the mass battle area I am use to with Dust.

I really like the FFG revised Dust system. IF there are any Skirmish player our there that play/played Dust I lover to hear your thoughts.

Also I loved Battlefront back in the day. Does this have the same feel as the PlayStation game in board game form.

Thanks for your help and advice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a much tighter scale than dust, the figures are the 'heroes' more so than the terrain and vehicles. There really aren't vehicles anyways, just bigger figures. It's like a 4v4 map in Battlefront. It has a good Star Wars feel, but a very tight tactical feel, and not grandious like Dust's.

But in general, I like the skirmish mode. Quick 60-90 minute games, suited for tournament settings. And, you know, Star Wars.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
badge
I have Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty different compared to Dust.

1. In Dust, units are activated by squads. IA is individual (even if you activate a squad of 3 stormtroopers).

2. Dust has minimal extra stuff. 1 card per unit and that's it. In IA, lots of cards, tokens, etc.

3. Dust scale feels larger battlefield level skirmish. IA very small unit actions on small maps.

TL;DR: if you didn't like Descent 2E, this is more of the same (with more streamlined rules). Unless the Star Wars background and figures are the draw for you. I enjoy both Dust and IA... But they play differently and the feel is different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinkster wrote:
TL;DR: if you didn't like Descent 2E, this is more of the same (with more streamlined rules).
I didn't know Descent 2e has skirmish mode.

(The many small changes in the campaign also make a lot of aspects different between them. The biggest ones: alternating activations, use of threat and deployment cost, campaign structure changes, and the smaller bits in how rest and dice .. and ... work.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls